• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
SCORE!

Check this out, strata arranged for the removal of trees that once used to inhabit this space (at the request of my boss who is my father). About 8 years of leaves falling on the ground and slowly composting. The soil looks A+.

I know where about a dozen or so of my plants are going :woohoo: Can't wait for some knob to pinch some pods further on down the track and burn themselves silly. I may put a sign up warning them :lol:

2011-08-05134406.jpg

2011-08-05134357.jpg

Not a real good pic here but the soil looks like black gold!
2011-08-05134440.jpg

Better get to work Scott, I wanna see 200+ chilli plants in that front garden...then you'll have to get your ol man to hire a gardener to look after them for you!

Looking good JR ... and cheers Candice ...

Just had my 1st purple tiger sprout which was planted on the 10th July !! Didn't think it would take that long and had almost given up hope. Also a choc hab from the 21st July spouted today as well. I am now hoping the fatalii will be next or the mythical hot cherry which was planted on the 13th.
Germination seems to be slower on my last few lots of seeds then the earlier ones, even though I have got better systems in place.

Interesting that I had some Butch T's which came up. The seedling seemed quite weak on 1 and still had the helmet on so I put it back into the germination set up after about 4-5 days out experiencing temp fluctuations and within a day a new sprout had come up from another of the seeds I had placed in the Jiffy pellet originally.

I have now placed the remaining butch T seedling back into the germinator to soften the seed helmet and also to see if I get a similar 2nd germination from another of the seeds.

If it does pan out that way then I may in future put jiffy pellets into the germinator for 10 days followed by 3 days out (for any that haven't yet germinated) and then put it back into the germination setup to see if it breaks dormancy quicker. Could be a coincidence as well but after reading that paper I posted a while ago it may be worth trialing on the more stubborn seeds/varieties.

Got two hydro systems running now with 3 varieties. Want to get the third running but not enough room in the hothouse because of the heat mat and bench being in the way. Will think of where to put it for a couple more days. considering putting it under the patio which has some clear sheets but still doesnt get much light so if i do may have to hang a light above it.
anyway here is the hothouse setup
IMG_4680.jpg

Awesome set up Candice. Gotta love having the space for the hothouse and nice to see things firmly under way and hopefully all the problems are now behind you. Keep us updated

I love that hothouse set up you have candice, I'l have to get one next year when/if we move into another house.

What wattage does your heat mat use and where can I get something like that?

When (in everyones opinion and keeping in mind the Gold Coast/Brisbane Climate) is it too late to get the chinense varieties underway ?? I was hoping to get some Douglah seeds to start but I am not sure if it is too late or not (I am thinking I should be fine but I am not sure)??

September is considered really late to start?
I've been a bit wary of starting too early, spring is normally colder than winter here due to clear night skies.

I've got my thermostat and my jiffy pellets delivered last week but I'm still waiting on the reptile heat mat. They were all ordered at the same time so it's taking longer than it should. :( I hate that ebay waiting time when you think something has gone wrong.

Hopefully I can get it by the end of the week and start at least the rest of the Chinense varieties I've chosen.

I'm want to use all of my Butch T seeds so I can give some plants to relatives. Because I care :lol:

I'm probably being impatient but the older plants aren't growing very fast at all, they don't look sick, just slow. On a positive note I haven't seen any fungus gnats for a few days. H202 did the trick. :D

Nice score there Nova :cool: It would be great to see a Chilli hedge out the front of your work!

I noticed someone asking about how late to plant Chinense seeds? I’ll be starting off a heap of seeds of Chinense in early September this season seeing I can’t do anymore at the moment.
Over here in WA we seem to have a long hot summer so hoping to get a late harvest in Autumn/Winter.

Micca

Nice score there Nova :cool: It would be great to see a Chilli hedge out the front of your work!

I noticed someone asking about how late to plant Chinense seeds? I’ll be starting off a heap of seeds of Chinense in early September this season seeing I can’t do anymore at the moment.
Over here in WA we seem to have a long hot summer so hoping to get a late harvest in Autumn/Winter.

Micca

Cheers Micca for the input

We have a fairly short growing season here, and I started a bunch of "extremely late" season chinenses a while back. I specifically grew them in pots so I could bring them indoors once the temps start dipping too low - I know I will have pods by then, but probably most won't be ripe yet, or even close to it. So depending upon how late you start your plants and how much indoor room you have, using containers is a good thing to consider.

I love that hothouse set up you have candice, I'l have to get one next year when/if we move into another house.

What wattage does your heat mat use and where can I get something like that?
yes its working well. i put 2 mature douglahs in a couple of weeks ago and now they are floswering an d setting pods.
Sorry not sure on wattsge, i got given mine from a nursery i worked at. think they are worth like $400! then thermostat is prob $100 - $150.try a horticultural shop

I'm alive! Didn't think would be as have had the flu and throat infection. Haven't been that crook in ages.
No doctors though they is scary :D

I'm alive! Didn't think would be as have had the flu and throat infection. Haven't been that crook in ages.
No doctors though they is scary :D

Welcome back ... I am currently battling some sort of chest/cold/flu infection as well ... Herbs and Minerals aplenty to hopefully cut it short ... :beer:

Mega and Nova just checking in .... any signs of the now increasingly mythical and mysterious Hot Cherry sprouts???

Nova how is that chocolate Variety of the cherry going??

Looks like I have a weekend of potting up/on seedlings, soaking some seeds (am getting another 3-4 varieties today in the mail hopefully from THSC) and going to bunnings to get more supplies (potting mix and pots and hopefully the last box of jiffy pellets [unless I stuff up the germination on this lot]for the season being top of the list)

Will also be pinching another bunch of buds off my super chilli plants to try to get them growing bigger (man they pump out the buds) before they flower.

I have left all of my latest seedlings only in the Jiffy Pellets with 1 light feeding for the past week or so and they have already almost outgrown some of the plants I potted up (now I realise I should have waited before potting them up) 2-3 weeks ago and they have roots galore.

Purple Tigers have come along nicely as have the choc. Habs.

Still waiting on a few varieties (fatalii, burkina, bohamian goat, hot cherry, ball chilli, numex twilight (2nd lot)) although some of them still may need another few days before they come up anyway.

I will also be soaking tonight some Goats weed, Some more Toro de Corno Rosso, Bishops Crown, Bulgarian Carrot and tobago seasoning seeds (if they arrive today).

Exciting weekend at my house :hell: :beer:

(considering last weekend we had a house party which I have only just got over it might be nice to relax with my plants and do nothing)

Back