• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
cool.
You reminded me by talking about Jalapenos that I was after some Numex Jalmundo seeds. They are larger versions and I think on the hotter side and been bred for making big Jalapeno poppers. So I've put up a request for seeds unless any of you know where to get them? NMSU dont appear to have any for sale.

Poor jalapeno. I just spent the last couple of hours filling a trailer with overwintered plants and a whole garden bed full of weeds. Oh what fun! Found tonnes of snails hiding on the fence near the weeds so gonna put the chooks out the front soon to have a feast. Walked past the trailer and there are about 10 snails climbing up the side wall. Damn things.

Not sure if I will be using my garden beds this season. I will buy some cheap capsicums and plant them, give them a few weeks and if no sign of disease then rip them and plant my babies :)

I haven't seen a snail here for a while:

hqTLY.jpg

Large Blue-tongued Lizard

What a beauty! Unfortunately we dont have any of them hanging around, our dogs would eat them :( My mum has one at her place that was a bit sick so she looked after it and fed it and its doing great now. She doesn't have any snails either!

Cool. They eat snail and slugs? Awesome!
It would be my second favourite animal then (after the honey badger)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f3rXALcGdo&feature=related

Cool. They eat snail and slugs? Awesome!
It would be my second favourite animal then (after the honey badger)

According to http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/buddies/MakeYourBackyardBlue-tongueFriendly.htm they do eat slugs. There's more slugs here than the lizards can eat.

Has anyone seen side shoots on a seedling 1 month after it sprouted?

amSiE.jpg

One month old Brazilian Starfish seedling with side shoots

My other Brazilian Starfish has side shoots developing that are smaller than on the one above. My two Brazilian Starfish seedlings emerged as hooks on the 14th of August. They're the most advanced seedlings of my August starts.

Wow, nice thick stem on that too for only 1 month old.

Speaking of baccatums, I'm not going to start any more chinense anymore, but looking for a few annuums and baccatums. All I have now is the single amarillo, and all the jalapenos, hungarian hot wax, and czech blacks I want.

Anyone know any other good fast starters and where to get them from?
Anyone grown aji panca?
http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?chile=1&find=aji+panca&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any

Wow, nice thick stem on that too for only 1 month old.
My Aji Omnicolor plants last season had a similar stem on young plants.

Speaking of baccatums, I'm not going to start any more chinense anymore, but looking for a few annuums and baccatums. All I have now is the single amarillo, and all the jalapenos, hungarian hot wax, and czech blacks I want.

I used the Mid Season C.Baccatum varieties as a guide last season. From that list I chose Aji Omnicolor and Inca Red Drop. I initially planned to try Criolla Sella but swapped it in a purchase for Brazilian Starfish seeds that did not grow true . :doh:

I can vouch for the Aji Omnicolor I grew as being a fast starter. The plants didn't turn into the monsters like my big Bishop's Hat strain and Aji Amarillo plants.

The Inca Red Drop plants were spindly and thin. I'm interested in any photos other people may have of Inca Red Drop that show their growth habit and main stem thickness.

Anyone grown aji panca?
http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?chile=1&find=aji+panca&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any
That listing is a bit ambiguous. The Aji Panca pictured on the left is the one listed on ChilePlants.com as a Very Late Season Chinense. The pods pictured on the right do not match the description from ChilePlants.com. My hunch is brown Baccatums don't exist.

Edited 2013-01-10: Fix CCN links.

That wasn't the first link for aji panca I found, I searched through heaps to find the chileman link so most people know of the source.

edit: Just been doing some more research after heaps of google links.
http://www.pepperfriends.com/forum/index.php?autocom=blog&blogid=6&showentry=126

I'm not that good to tell what that flower means (I'd have to look it up) but what's your thoughts?
Maybe that one grew red, and only the misnamed ones that are chinense grow brown?

That wasn't the first link for aji panca I found, I searched through heaps to find the chileman link so most people know of the source.

edit: Just been doing some more research after heaps of google links.
http://www.pepperfriends.com/forum/index.php?autocom=blog&blogid=6&showentry=126

I'm not that good to tell what that flower means (I'd have to look it up) but what's your thoughts?
Maybe that one grew red, and only the misnamed ones that are chinense grow brown?

The flower on the PepperFriends page is that of a Baccatum. The tell-tale sign is the yellow spots on the petals. It seems many seed sellers just look at the listing on thechileman.org.

There are other examples of a name referring to multiple varieties.

Anyone grown aji panca?
I grew one last season.....

IMG_4020.jpg

Sadly, not long after that shot was taken, it mysteriously decided to die on me and never got to see any pods. :(

I did get the feeling that it was going to be a sloooow producer though as most of my other plants were at least budding (if not producing) around the same time as the shot.

Hey Candice good to see you have got some more seedlings going. :cool:
The Limo Blancos look like a good one, hope it will be.

Gassy is really going well getting some pods to form and all. Nice work!

Pablo great job with the pallet. Your seedlings are looking great, as soon as we get some sun again they will start to boom and will dry out.
Poor little Jalapeno RIP.

Micca

Way to set me up for the fall :rofl:
"I grew one last season"
*pic of nice plant.
But it died and was slooow

:(
I see your point. :rofl:

I dunno though, maybe there was just something wrong with my plant (weak genetics or something) seeing as it did just up and die and all. It really confused the hell outta me.... one day it was nice and healthy and pretty much the next it was dead..... :confused:

I'm thinking I might try and track some seeds down and give it another shot this season, but yeah, dunno yet.

No problem.
I'm not too sure if you will want it. The 2 plants I have, got over watered when I was away(sitting in an inch of water).
I have been drying them out the last couple of weeks but not too sure about them. My camera broke when I came back from holidays and just brought a new one yesterday so will take a photo and email it to you to have a look.

Micca

Funny thing.... as slow as things were going in winter, I kinda miss the nice mild sun already. Whacked a few plants out just before and had to pull them into the shade like half and hour later as they really started copping a beating. I forgot about hardening off; the one thing I absolutely hate about growing chillies. It's such a dick around! :(

:think: Considering rigging up a little bit of shade cloth this season which hopefully I can just whack my newbies under and not have to worry about them when I'm at work and crap. Anyone do this or have any thoughts or opinions? (Like, it should do the trick, aye?)

Funny thing.... as slow as things were going in winter, I kinda miss the nice mild sun already. Whacked a few plants out just before and had to pull them into the shade like half and hour later as they really started copping a beating. I forgot about hardening off; the one thing I absolutely hate about growing chillies. It's such a dick around! :(

:think: Considering rigging up a little bit of shade cloth this season which hopefully I can just whack my newbies under and not have to worry about them when I'm at work and crap. Anyone do this or have any thoughts or opinions? (Like, it should do the trick, aye?)

I always try to start my new seedlings off under shade cloth. Works extremely well for me.
Also with hardening off I tend to put them under the eves of the house of a very shady area and find they can be left longer and transitioned easier.
Normally my seedlings are transitioned in 2-3 days.

Micca

Back