• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
My little Aji Amarillo x Yellow Trinidad Scorpion F1's are really powering along and so far they look very, uh, Aji Amarillo....

IMG_6550.jpg

I wish now I had sown another Aji Amarillo so I would have something to compare them against--or at least had taken some good snaps of my Aji Amarillo plant when it was a seedling. But from what I hear anyway, it's not uncommon for C. baccatum--or at least Aji Amarillo--to be extremely dominant in a cross with C. chinense.

I dunno, I'm not any good at the whole "identifying and comparing foliage" stuff anyway....

Real nice lookin plants there Gas.
I'm also pretty hopeless in identifying plants too, I tend to wait to see if it forms more than 2 flowers at each node.
I would have said it was Chinense looking but............
Ahhhh all that matters is whether it's hot and tasty!

Micca

I would have said it was Chinense looking but............
Yeah, I thought so too at first--especially as I have a few Chinense babies with very similar leaves--but then I compared it to the new growth of my big Aji Amarillo plant and some Aji Lemon babies and it started to look Baccatum again. Wish I could make a comparison against the Yellow Trinidad Scorpion plant too but unfortunately it's suffering from a bad case of leaf curl and leaf droppage. :(

Maybe there is some kind of mix in there but I REALLY don't know..... :lol:

i got sent some Aji Amarillo seeds in a trade if you want them? I have grown them once before and not interested in growing them again. PM me if you want them
Thanks for the offer Candice but I do have some left myself. I was just thinking I should have started another one at the same time as starting the hybrids for comparison sake. ;)

Hmmm, here we go.... just dug up a pic of the parent plants side-by-side when they were babies (not the best pic I guess, but it will have to do):

IMG_5899.jpg

Similar to begin with but I definitely reckon the hybrids look way more Aji Amarillo. I dunno though, something about the hybrids does look a little different but I just can't put my finger on it.... (or maybe I'm just imagining things! :lol:)

Hmmm, here we go.... just dug up a pic of the parent plants side-by-side when they were babies (not the best pic I guess, but it will have to do):

IMG_5899.jpg

Similar to begin with but I definitely reckon the hybrids look way more Aji Amarillo. I dunno though, something about the hybrids does look a little different but I just can't put my finger on it.... (or maybe I'm just imagining things! :lol:)

What is the chacoense like gas. Growing it this coming year.

Looking nice and healthy gas. I am having a bitch of a time trying to get the last of my seeds germinated . So far nothing for the Fatalii's (4th sowing 2 diff seed batches) Douglah's (3rd sowing) Butch T's (already have 1 growing but wanted another) Bulgarian Carrots, Tabago Seasoning, Burkina, Purple Flash, RHF-1.

Any ideas why I have simply had no luck germinating anything from my past 3 sowings yet earlier in the year I was getting pretty constant germination rates?? (I don't have them in the heated propagator anymore but 24-28 degree ambient temps should be fine for germination.

Its got me stumped (I am going to try simply soaking them in a very weak solution of chamomile tea next instead of the stronger mix with seaweed extract)

I have another 6 lots of seeds on the way from 2 different sources now so I am going to try to get at least 1 Burkina, 1 Wild Brazil, 1 Douglah, 1 Trinidad Bean, 1 Po Cheong, 1 fatalii and 1 Dedo de Moca, 1 orange lantern and 1 RHF-1 growing before its too late in the season to get any pods(could already be)

Cheers for the picture of the parents Gas. They do look similar.
I don't tend to grow the Baccatums so interesting to see, specially with the growth difference.

Micca

At last, some f***ing rain! I laid down in the hammock for hours in the rain last night, it was great. I'm sure my withered garden was thinking the same.

What is the chacoense like gas. Growing it this coming year.
To tell you the truth, I'm not having much luck with 'em!

Out of the three varieties I am growing, two have flowered like crazy but I have yet to see one single pod. Sadly too, CAP 501 came under attack by broad mite recently and I had to prune it back pretty hardcore. :(

I dunno, overall they have done rather well in terms of growth.... it just would be nice to see some pods from 'em is all! :mope:

Check out this crazy guy here (C. chacoense "Most Prolific"):

IMG_6552.jpg

One of the strangest growth styles I've seen on a chilli plant yet.

Looking nice and healthy gas. I am having a bitch of a time trying to get the last of my seeds germinated . So far nothing for the Fatalii's (4th sowing 2 diff seed batches) Douglah's (3rd sowing) Butch T's (already have 1 growing but wanted another) Bulgarian Carrots, Tabago Seasoning, Burkina, Purple Flash, RHF-1.

Any ideas why I have simply had no luck germinating anything from my past 3 sowings yet earlier in the year I was getting pretty constant germination rates?? (I don't have them in the heated propagator anymore but 24-28 degree ambient temps should be fine for germination.
Got me stumped on the germination thing... it's been the opposite for me! Finally getting things to germinate now and it's only what..? Half way through the season! :lol:

Have you tried Candice's Fataliis? I got super germination from hers. ;)

Got me stumped on the germination thing... it's been the opposite for me! Finally getting things to germinate now and it's only what..? Half way through the season! :lol:

Have you tried Candice's Fataliis? I got super germination from hers. ;)

Yeah using her seeds at the mo. Its not the seed though of that I am fairly sure. I have tried 2 different sources of fatalii both with same results so far

Cheers for the picture of the parents Gas. They do look similar.
I don't tend to grow the Baccatums so interesting to see, specially with the growth difference.

Micca
Yeah, the only Baccatum I've grown before this season is Aji Lemon. Thought I might expand my horizons a bit this season and grow a couple more varieties.....

Oh yeah, and my Cheiro White is ripe now but as I've had a severe case of the runs the last couple days, I might just give it a bit before chomping down on it. I don't even want to think of the consequences of doing such a thing in this condition! :lol:

Hey bro, there is a chemical out there that works on mites.
Its called AVID and its very toxic, use three to four weeeks harvest. Rinse dilute then die.Why the fark do people use chems?

Back