• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Worm Castings

Worm castings actually have nutrients that are used immediately after applied and watered in and slow release ones. Very cool stuff.

Next in line you're preaching to the choir. Welcome to THP.

Plagron and Bio-Bizz Worm castings are great,i use 10/15% Worm,Shetland seaweed granules 5%/Compost 40% with added horse/Alpaca manure/Coir 40% and when adding plant to pot and Mycorrhizal Fungi in the root hole of the pot,great combination :)

Worm castings are often high in nitrogen, but it depends on what the worms eat. Castings and other organics will feed the soil and not leach away into the aquafers like water soluble fertilizers and they will also encourage mirobiological activity within the soil

Another valuable feature of worm castings is that they increase the water-holding capacity of soils, especially poor clay soils.

Hmm had to look it up and found a nice vid.

My Plagron growmix has some of that worm stuff mixed into it

QuadShotz said:
Hmmm, worm poo aint a fert perse, more a soil amend thing. Plants like it.

nature has all sortof thuings around in soil, we just try to get the good ones eh.

chiles been growin for millenia without our help, and will anyways i reckon. :)

A fertilizer is any thing that feeds the soil which in turn feeds the plants. As in make the soil more fertile. Synthetics do no sush thing. In fact they can adversly affect soil fertility due to high salt levels effectively throwing off pH. In my opinion synthetics should be labled plant food, not fertilizer. They are like crack for plants. The more they get the more they need. And yes chiles have been growin in Gods soil for longer than we know. They dont need our help.

Omri said:
Worm poo is the shiznit! Human poo is even better!!

Dang you guys give me so much to carry on about...

Manure from carnivores should NEVER be used in food production.
The reason being... the passing on of desease pathogens and parasites. Poop on your lawn if you wannna but never in your garden.

I know my poop...

Next in line said:
Dang you guys give me so much to carry on about...

Manure from carnivores should NEVER be used in food production.
The reason being... the passing on of desease pathogens and parasites. Poop on your lawn if you wannna but never in your garden.

I know my poop...
But I'm a vegetarian... always was. except for the occasional steak, chicken, burgers, sausages and stuff like that.

Omri said:
But I'm a vegetarian... always was. except for the occasional steak, chicken, burgers, sausages and stuff like that.

Reminds me of when Lisa Simpson became a vegetarian.

Homer: "Are you saying you're never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?"
Lisa: "No."
Homer: "Ham?"
Lisa: "No."
Homer: "Pork chops?"
Lisa: "Dad, those all come from the same animal."
Homer: "Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal."

Mmm, SpiderPig...

HomerPig.jpg

I have been prepping all year for the 2010 growing season.

I plan to mix only worm castings in at least half my pots at final transplant, and possibly again after first harvest. The other half will get my standard organic ferts.

Here are some of my babies doing their magic.

worms.jpg

Back