• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Yellowfin2na Hydroponic Grow 2015 *PIC INTENSE*

So I wanted to share my first hydroponic pepper grow so far. Started December 1st and now we are two months in. I have a home made indoor system that is half NFT half DWC. I also have a plant that I grew in a coffey can under T5 lighting.

I was so unorganized in the beginning and it was a rough start. But I think Im getting that hang of it. I am growing both peppers and tomatoes in the same system which became a challenge. Even worse I have no idea what plants are what because during seedling stages my tray was knocked over mixing everything up. The pepper plants are either Carolina Reaper, Chocolate Scotch Bonnet, or White Habanero. The tomatoes could be anything. I have 10 different exotic kinds and not a clue to what is what.

Dec 19 2014 a few weeks after sprouting they were put into the NFT system

In the beginning I had both pepper and tomatoes in the NFT system

Coffey can pepper plant was started but ran a few weeks behind the others.

Roots coming along nicely

December 31 2014 after a struggle with balancing PH and getting it down the plants begin to veg nicely.

Roots are booming

Coffey can plant doing ok. I think I straved it a little in the beginning.

NOT LETTING ME POST ANYMORE. NOT SURE IF I NEED A BUMP OR WHAT.

Just kidding I figured it out......

January 7 2015 had to move some plants around because the roots of the tomatoes were getting very long. The tomatoes had almost no growth on top but the roots were longer than shoe strings

Tomato roots are getting long

Someone correct me if Im wrong, I am brand new to this...

Being indoors, they are not getting pollinated, hence no pods.  Take an electric toothbrush and place it on the stem right next to the flower.  It should shake it gently enough to not damage the flower, but it will release pollen.  Or use a q tip and gently jam it in there and move it around a little.

While anxiously waiting on pods I made a few online purchases and received seeds from a few generous members. So I decided a few weeks ago to get some stuff going. I now have the following sprouted:

7 Pot Brain Strain Red
7 Pot Brain Strain Yellow
7 Pot Bubblegum
7 Pot Jonah
Black Scorpion Tongue
Carolina Reaper 
CGN 19198
CGN 22091
Fatali Yellow
Fatali White
Jalapeno Farmers
Orange Thai (Growdown)
Peach Wasp
Peter Pepper
Scorpion Mustard

Waiting on

CGN 22795
Lemon Drop
Pimenta De Neyde

Now that I have more than I can handle I had to think of a way to be able to still grow such a large amount of plants hydroponically. So instead of spending a ton of money on a large hydro system I once again came up with a home made hydro system.

When transplanting time comes I will place each plant into drink cups and suspend the roots into nutrient solution. Should act as a mini DWC system. Smaller plants with smaller root mass don't seem to use that much oxygen so they should be ok without an air stone until they get bigger. As you will see below I'm already running a test trial on a white habanero and chocolate habanero to see how this pans out.

As for my large NFT I have officially jinxed myself with all this flower drop talk. My plant has hit the flower dropping stage. Still has tons of flowers but no pods appear to be starting. The temps in the garage have been going from freezing to the 80's in just a few days so that may be it. I wont know until this weather decides on what it wants to do.

NFT Chinense and Misc Tomatoes
Canna Bloom Nutrients
PPM 1200
PH 6.1

[/URL]
No Pods sniffle sniffle

The new guys

Roots!

Original coffey can plant doing well. Has a few flowers. No pods yet.
Canna Bloom Nutes
PPM 750
PH 6.2

I had a Chocolate and White Habanero in the same coffey can. Interestingly the Chocolate was robbing the White of its nutrients. (Eh that sounded kinda racist). 
Canna Veg Nutes
PPM 430
PH 5.8

So I separated them and put them in their own mini DWC cups. We will see how they do with out the air stone.
New PPMS
620 Chocolate
720 White
PH 6.0

i think too much nitrogen will keep them from podding?[/quote]

Thanks chocolate but I'm using bloom nutes that are high in K. I think it was the tempature swing. I put them in the sun and barely a day later I can tell the flowers are doing different things now!!! Woot woot pics to come.

Joker38 said:
Inside you have to pollinate flowers by yourself. But now that you've put 'em outside, insects will do that for you.
Yes sir was hitting them with the paint brush when they were in doors. Just wasn't wanting to happen.

My indoor garage NFT system was getting out of control and taking too much space. Since Spring is here I decided to move all my plants out doors with the exception of my starters. Also began transplanting all my seedlings into mini DWC hydro systems.

My two NFT plants were painfully taken out of the NFT system and moved outdoors into 5 gallon DWC buckets. With in a day the flowers that were once dropping have now began showing signs of forming pods. Interestingly They showed no signs of stress at all after they were moved into buckets.

My original mystery three all reunited once again!

Coffey can plant root ball.

Fuzz on this Peach Wasp

Tomato roots look like sea monsters

Hydro plants are outgrowing the soil a little

Black Scorpion Tongue

They are settling in their new homes nicely

Flowers on the what I presume to be chocolate habanero

Feel pretty confident my coffee can plant is a white hab and its podding...

Found some 1 gallon containers that had lids missing at the store. Manager gave me all four for just a $1. Looked at them and thought they could really be a good home for some of my hydro drink cup plants. Drilled a hole for the small net pots and used the spout as the hole for the air tube.

Whtie Fatali with those long roots

White Fatali, Red Brain Strain, 7 Pot Jonah, Peach Wasp are all now friends.

Still waiting for pods on these two

My insect repellent on watch

A few plants were getting knocked over by wind, animals, running children, etc. So got a little cheap walk in green house to give them some protection.
Hydro (Top)
Soil (Bottom)

I have been neglecting my hydro tomatoes ever since I moved them out of the garage. Honestly I expected them to just die off but they actually hung in there. Had some free time and made a little hanging hydro bucket to see how they would do.

Pods a comin!

Somethings been munching on these plants, but they seem to be doing great in this system. The great part is I havent had to touch these since they've been in there. I set the ppm to 400 and PH to 6.0 and let them do their thing.

These little drink cup DWC plants are also doing better than expected. I just top them off every 3 or 4 days. The ones with a lighter ppm seem to be growing a little faster. 200 ppm seems to be the ideal starting strength for plants this size. The larger ones I have bumped up to 400 ppm. 

The white habanero I had at 700 ppm and it slowed way down. Its funny how 300 extra ppm will slow a plant way down.

Black scorpion tongue

CGN 22091

White Fatali

Im starting to think this isnt a white habanero after all.......Could this be chocolate habanero??? Any ideas?

Found a caterpillar munching on my reaper plant. 

Cleared out a ton of banana trees in my backyard to make room for some in ground peppers.

He wasnt happy about this

Looks a little rough but it cleaned up nice. Peppers and tomato plants.

A little late but BBM is on its way up

Solo cup hydro plants

Black scorpion tongue

This plant is getting huge.

This guy has been living on my plant ever since I put it outside. Ive even found him sleeping at night on the branches. Really cool.

CGN19198 is a very slow grower for me. 

The garden after 3 days of storm

I really neglected my hydroponic tomatoes for a while there. I cant believe they have been growing off of just rain water and the old nutrients from a few months ago. They are just hanging in a DWC bucket and now have a few tomatoes starting.

Please get off my plant sir

This little plant always amazes me.

And now its podding 

Brain Strain Red and Peach Wasp in there little gallon hydro containers.

It was storming like crazy the past few days. Last night came home to find a few of my plants in the green house knocked over. Brought them inside quickly for some indoor growth until these storms let up. Didn't even notice this guy till I started trying to take pictures of the pods. He was just chilling half asleep. Almost looks like he's guarding my pods.

Pods
20150420_193643_zpsnb3o9k5f.jpg
20150420_200519_zpsaolkoucx.jpg
20150420_193745_zpsrr0yqt1v.jpg

20150420_200436_zps18zjrplo.jpg

20150420_200548_zpsghmcvmfa.jpg

Back