• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Yellowfin2na Hydroponic Grow 2015 *PIC INTENSE*

So I wanted to share my first hydroponic pepper grow so far. Started December 1st and now we are two months in. I have a home made indoor system that is half NFT half DWC. I also have a plant that I grew in a coffey can under T5 lighting.

I was so unorganized in the beginning and it was a rough start. But I think Im getting that hang of it. I am growing both peppers and tomatoes in the same system which became a challenge. Even worse I have no idea what plants are what because during seedling stages my tray was knocked over mixing everything up. The pepper plants are either Carolina Reaper, Chocolate Scotch Bonnet, or White Habanero. The tomatoes could be anything. I have 10 different exotic kinds and not a clue to what is what.

Dec 19 2014 a few weeks after sprouting they were put into the NFT system

In the beginning I had both pepper and tomatoes in the NFT system

Coffey can pepper plant was started but ran a few weeks behind the others.

Roots coming along nicely

December 31 2014 after a struggle with balancing PH and getting it down the plants begin to veg nicely.

Roots are booming

Coffey can plant doing ok. I think I straved it a little in the beginning.

NOT LETTING ME POST ANYMORE. NOT SURE IF I NEED A BUMP OR WHAT.

Just kidding I figured it out......

January 7 2015 had to move some plants around because the roots of the tomatoes were getting very long. The tomatoes had almost no growth on top but the roots were longer than shoe strings

Tomato roots are getting long

The new hydro BBM! Super excited about these.

Noticed a slight leaf curl on my largest plant. Checked the PH and it was over 8.0!! Its amazing how high this plant could handle it. And its been podding like crazy with no problems. Forgot we had some rain so that jacked up the PH a bit. Its been 6 months to date since Ive started the Hyrdo grow and Ive learned so much. Learning to look at little signs like this to catch the problems in time. Been having a blast. Now for some more pics!

CGN22091 has nice size leaves

Line of pods (Chocolate Habs??)

Good size pods whatever they are...

This Farmers Jalapeno is getting really fuzzy. My other farmers is not doing this. Very odd.

The other Farmers Jalapeno getting its first pod

Black Scorpion Tongue 

White Fatali and its first flower

White Hab podding

7 Pot Jonah, Red Brain Strain, Peach Wasp, White Fatalii

Cant ever get over this little plant

D3monic said:
Everything's looking fantastic! What was the plant you said you said you can't get over? 
Thanks! Im really not sure. I got several seeds from Ebay before I started this forum and Im still unsure if they are true or not. It is supposed to be a chocolate scotch bonnet but it looks to me more like a habanero. Hopefully chocolate because I really despise orange habaneros at this point of my life.

This little hydro experiment has came such a long way in just a little over a month. From this:

TO THIS

More BBM's and BOC X Jays Peach Cross

Pods are beginning to finally get some color on many plants.

Next year I need to work on my labeling. I have mislabled so many plants this year. This entire time I have been labeling this as a Farmers Jalapeno, but it turns out its a Peter Pepper OBVIOUSLY

http://s270.photobucket.com/user/ba.../2015-05/20150506_122128_zpsxj2l7ed4.jpg.html

This was the reaper that the caterpillar ate half the stem. It healed itself nicely.

CGN21902

Mustard Scorpion

7 Pot Jonah and some giant leaves

I have completely neglected this hydro tomato as well. It is actually living on rain water and grass clippings. I guess it would be considered a natural tea maybe? 

Nice size pods

Drinking 1-2 gallons a day

This weeks update will be dedicated to Roots and Pods, Roots and Pods, Roots and Pods!!

I had a pretty bad storm hit last night. Broke several branches and lost about 30 peppers. Well I shouldn't say lost because I can just eat them green. Pics taken just before the storm.

Roots (Mustard Scorpion)

Pods!

Roots (Big Black Mam)

Pods

You get the idea

Peach Wasp

Yellow Brain Strain

Growdown Plant
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]White Fatalii[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Why is this branch laying on the ground?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Cuz its being weighed down![/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]The roots of a neglected tomato plant, Growing on rain water, dead grass, and algea.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Lost a few branches from the storm.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]But can still eat them green[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]I really suck at growing in soil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

Big Black Mamma coming up in the world

[SIZE=10.5pt]I gave a Peach Wasp plant to a local hydro shop a while back. When I visited them again they had it in soil with one pod on it. The pod was much larger than I expected, but it has the same shape as the ones on Judy’s website.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

Here is my peach wasp in a gallon of water with its first pod

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]From left to right:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]White Hab, White Fatalii, Chocolate Hab, Peter Pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I found this caterpillar in the garden infected with parasitic wasp larva.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]This is supposed to be a Reaper…. Looks more like a mean mugger. I swear this pod has a mean face going on lol[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]White Fatalii in a gallon of water.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]It has one pod on it but it does not look like the pods from my other white fatalii plants. Once again I think I have mislabeled another plant [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Black Scorpion tongue was getting way too tall for its container so I put it in a bucket that it deserves.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Ahh much better[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Mustard Scorpion (Left) and CGN 22091 both with pods now.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Chocolate![/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

Yellowfin2na said:
Thanks! Im really not sure. I got several seeds from Ebay before I started this forum and Im still unsure if they are true or not. It is supposed to be a chocolate scotch bonnet but it looks to me more like a habanero. Hopefully chocolate because I really despise orange habaneros at this point of my life.
it does look more like choc hab, like u said hopefully chocolate. Edit: it appears to look like a scotch bonnet to me now that i seen more pics. Sort of looks like choc bonnet x choc hab. Nice plants!

Yellowfin2na said:
Growdown Plant
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

looks like root rot, yeah, you should burn that one immediately before it infects your other plants! :flamethrower: 

chocolatescotchbonnet said:
it does look more like choc hab, like u said hopefully chocolate. Edit: it appears to look like a scotch bonnet to me now that i seen more pics. Sort of looks like choc bonnet x choc hab. Nice plants!
They really are interesting what ever they are. Here is a pic of both side to side. The one variety is much larger than the other and also it seems alot bigger than other habs such as the orange. They do not taste the same. The smaller pods have less heat to me and are thicker walled. The larger ones are very thin walled. Both taste great though.

ColdSmoke said:
This looks like a ton of work. How often do you have to change out your solutions? Awesome plants!
It is a little bit of work but not too unbearable. The biggest problem I have is stabilization. Alot of my plants get too large for their containers and fall over. I'm always constantly having to reposition or rig them upright.

I don't ever change out the solutions. I simply top off what they drink. Most of the time in the small cups they drink nearly the entire cup of solution so I just refill every other day. Just a quick daily check when I wake up, top off, harvest a few peppers, and it's off to work.

Reached my pic limit yesterday so couldn't post these....

Ive been slacking on posting my Hydro Specs

Simply everything is on Techna Flora Bloom Nutrients and between 400 to 600 PPM. I find there is no need yet to exceed 600 PPM. Even my largest plant with probably over a 100 pods on it does not seem to like PPM's over 600.

This may not be the exact ideal growing specs but I can tell you its working well enough on many different varieties that pods are forming. I've got a good quick way of mixing nutrients that is simple and automatically adjusts the PH to 6 - 6.5 range without having to hassle with PH up or Down. Its quick simple hydro that only requires you to top off what the plants drink.  

Anyways enough of my babble here are some more pod pics.

White Fatalii

White Habs

Weaners!!!

Mustard Scorpion

I really enjoy how CGN22091 grows. I hope it tastes as good as it grows.

This is what I have worked hard for. Just being able to walk outside and pick fresh pods for any meal when I feel like it.
Picked a few peppers before work for lunch time

Back