• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

You know what really grinds my gears?!?

Collectible (i) would be the correct spelling for such usage, collectable is correct too but not for something of value, more for saying something that can be collected, like grass to a lawnmower bin. Collectibles are like coins of value and such. Just sayin lol.

PS- after posting the pictures, I was seeing where that confusion could happen. 

Wow- just goes to show why it's soo good to have others look at stuff and get that 12th, 13th, 14th ..... opinion~ 

The Hot Pepper said:
Collectible (i) would be the correct spelling for such usage, collectable is correct too but not for something of value, more for saying something that can be collected, like grass to a lawnmower bin. Collectibles are like coins of value and such. Just sayin lol.
​rackingbrackinfrickinfrackin.........
​text edit done~~~~

I was not aware of the difference of collectible-v-collectable.  I learn something new every day, and usually here on THP!  Thanks, Boss!

Crap...now im gonna be in trouble for hijacking the bitching thread with something constructive...

That really grinds my gears

(back on track lol)

Well, the law in California passed...no more single use grocery bags from the markets, thats not what grinds my gears though.
I guess I hadnt paid much attention to current events, go to the store the day after the law passes not aware of it at all, was caught totally off guard....no grace period, thats the first step into my gears getting ground, I ask the cashier where the bags are and with an evil smirk she tells me I can buy some multi-use for a buck each, hmmm, that smirk was step 2 in my gears getting ground. Well, i just giggled and whoops, i guess I havent paid attention to current events ( being totally good natured about it), the cashier commences to give me a lecture concerning the environmental impact....yep, i agreed, but her smug demeanor during her monologue was the 3rd step in my gears being ground.

But the tip of this, my wonderful wife, was gracious, kind and thoughtful enough to put recycled, reusable grocery bags in my car and my truck the day before, she even told me when she did it.

Yes, the fruition if it all is that I ground my own gears for not recalibg it until I was loading the groceries into my car.

New-Ish Toyota commercial...beautiful female Latin American soldier flying home....meanwhile the most ethnically diverse group of people imaginable takes their Toyota truck out with a 7 mile long string of Xmas lights and strings them out over a field that they happen to have access to....a field that also just happens to be directly in the flight path of the airport that the plane is headed towards. They spell out "welcome home Julia" and as the plane is passing overhead, the half-native American, half white mom starts tearing up, it starts lightly snowing, because vaguely implied nondenominational winter holiday season (lights) while the adopted (?) Latina daughter (Julia) is looking out the plane window at just the right time, and the united colors of Benniton family(?) are all embracing in unity - some country-Ish Sarah mcgloughlin sounding music plays inspirationally in the background... it's a lovely commercial. Really - very touching.

It's also utterly ridiculous and so totally pandering to every heart string pulling, down home feeling, stereotype and cliche imaginable that it makes me want to throw a brick through my TV. You've got the US military homecoming (in a Japanese car commercial) with a female soldier, and an extended family comprised of every possible color because you can't leave anyone underrepresented I guess. I'm only mildly shocked that they didn't have a chick in a burka, an Orthodox Jew and a fully robed Sikh. I almost couldn't tell if it was a car commercial or a part of the "It's a Small World" ride that I missed when I was a kid.

And, most importantly, I cannot for a nanosecond fathom what any of this feel-good homecoming impossible holiday lights on a conveniently located field could possibly have to do with anyone buying a Toyota. Ever.

And don't get me wrong - I have zero issue with racial diversity...my favorite commercial when I was a kid was the Coca Cola "if I could teach the world to sing" - the difference is that the coke commercial,unrealistic as it might have been, made sense, featured the product, and didn't feel like contrived pandering to every audience imaginable.

I would like to meet the people who conceived this commercial and punch them right in the junk.

Boo Toyota, boooooo!

And that really grinds my gears!

Holiday shopping online, and it's obvious that companies think we're stupid as hell.

A $7 product that sells for $16, but includes "free shipping". Especially annoying when the product would ship for $6.80

Ooooookay buddy. Thanks for that "free shipping" - ya almost got me there!

And THAT really grinds my gears!

stoopid contractors that think they know anything about electrical...calling the dial on the baseboard heater a "riostat" like a dimmer, saying it won't shut off, safety hazard....when it's a THERMOSTAT!!!!!!!  

friking dumbass......

Micheal (not Michael) ....riostat...like those old fashioned round dimmers...push off/push on.....  said it was a riostat that wouldn't shut off when the room got up to temp and would run 24-7 running up the electric bill and would catch on fire. 

Riostat makes everyone sound so much smarter tho. :rofl:

That really grinds my gears. Dumbasses using the wrong words to sound smart.

Just click the little "My Media" button and you can re-post old attachments. ;)

the_corrector.jpg

Back