• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Zander's 2010 Season

Thanks for visiting everyone. Silver Surver, the Jalabanero is delicious. It tastes like a bell or mild Jalapeno at the very bottom but quickly gets very hot as you move up to the stem. At the top it is very hot but with a leftover taste of Jalapeno. The plant is early, easy and productive and the flavor is fantastic, plus no seeds!

I snapped a bunch of pictures yesterday. Not much is new, but I have plenty for people to look at.

Here are some Orange Manzanos. The biggest is 21cm around. The picture looks like there is some slack in the tape, but it really is a true 21cm.
IMG_8717.jpg

IMG_8719.jpg

IMG_8720.jpg

Yellow Rocoto in the front yard:
IMG_8732.jpg

No reason to start a new thread for my other plants, I have just a few:
Tree Tulsi (Tree Holy Basil):
IMG_8729.jpg

Pomegranate (soon to be replanted) and Kalamansi citrus
IMG_8727.jpg

Inside the greenhouse I have some tomatoes and basil. This is the sunny side:
IMG_8744.jpg

Here is the shady side where new plants adjust:
IMG_8745.jpg

Well that's it for today. I should have some more soon. The weather is nice and just about everything is doing very well.

Thanks everyone,

thaichillihead, It's a little early to tell but I think spartpots are a bit better than solid plastic containers. I can get by with less medium and it's very hard to over water.

franzb69, some will say it should be called a Calamondin instead. Seems like there's a lot of different spellings out there, but one things for sure; it's a versatile and delicious fruit. I may try to start some from seed next year.

Silver_Surfer and madhatter, thanks for letting me know. I've had the absolute worst luck with Datils and this is the farthest I've gotten. I'll have to try some new seed for next year. I've always wanted to try the true Datil, but hopefully this one is tasty anyway.

franzb69, some will say it should be called a Calamondin instead. Seems like there's a lot of different spellings out there, but one things for sure; it's a versatile and delicious fruit. I may try to start some from seed next year.

never heard of that name.

we've always used the spelling with a C. but it doesn't matter. it's just an awesome citrus. that's all that should matter. hehe.

wish I had manzano and rocoto seedlings by now.

Wonderful log Z.S. Reading was a great way to spend part of my Friday evening before watering my garden...
Good luck with everything, and I hope to see your updates soon.

Cool on all the updates Zanderman thank you. I don't know if that Datil is what it's supposed to be or not but that thing is absolutely full of flowers and buds isn't it? Sorry to hear of the old 7 being the bug home. I hope you put it down mercifully. ;)

Thanks again everyone. Patrick, I knew you'd feel bad for that old thing. I just couldn't bring it back to health and it was spreading to my other plants. I've got a great Sara R Seven that has been quarantined too. I'm not down about it, I'm having a great season and I'm already planning for next year (FEWER PLANTS!).

The big news is I'm getting my first full size, fully ripe C. Chineses. Last year the garden started off great, but I got very few pods until late in the summer. To get early pods this year I experimented with smaller containers. My theory was smaller containers = earlier pods. I was succesful with some but other plants were stunted because I didn't have the room to transplant them on time. I've learned a lot and I'm selecting varieties that respond well to this style of growing. Plants that don't do well will make small peppers and eventually stall. These plants are doing very well and producing full size peppers in 2gal containers packed close together.

First up, my first ripe Fatalli of 2010. I actually started this plant back in 2009 and kept it very small. The Fatalli's I've grown (3 seasons) have all been slow growing and compact and I'm not surprised that they do well in these small containers.
IMG_8754.jpg

IMG_8756.jpg

Next is an Orange Habanero. The seeds were harvested from a grocery store pepper. Very large Habaneros and the plant is super healty. It is forming some nice size shoots that I'll be snipping for clones.
IMG_8758.jpg

IMG_8759.jpg

Oh yeah, I forgot to say something about the hairy veins on the underside of the Orange Habanero leaves. That is definately plant fuzz, no mildew at all. I've never seen it on a C. Chinese before. Another unique trait that makes this Hab a keeper.

Very cool testing Zanderman, thanks for sharing the results. I hope you keep the rest of us up to date on your results. That Fatalii is beautiful. Keep up the great work dude.

Great work ZanderSpice.

Love the pics you posted a few days ago of your manzano orange. That fruit is huge!
Congrats on your first Fatalii of the season. That pepper is really one of my favourites.

Bleash

Back