• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2019 Hirsute Pursuit – Rocotos, Wilds & Moar

So, here's the new glog for the coming season.  With the indoor grow culled pretty hard now I can focus more on getting ready for what's ahead.  Hoping for a great year, but I’m already a bit behind - the germinators are packed right now and I've still got a round of annuum seeds waiting for their turn.  I guess it wouldn’t feel much like pepper growing though if everything were going perfect.

My focus was going to be rocotos with a side of bonnets and some other stuff, but I found I kept planting more and more wilds. Eventually I just kinda went all-in with them and they took on co-main event status. 

I’ll start things off with some pics of some of the earlier pube’s.  There’s not too many at this point. Unfortunately, the vast majority just went into germination.

First off, Costa Rica Red.  This is the CRR with flattened triangular pods.  I also have an OW CRR that’s a 3-4 lobed “boxy” variety.  I didn't get true seeds off this one last summer, so I have a few of these growing and crossing my fingers they grow true.
20190305%20CRR%20(P)-R.jpg

Rocoto DeSeda.  These guys were from a bush I’d OW’d a few years in a row, but it didn’t make it through this winter
20190305%20DeSeda-R.jpg

Rocoto San Camillo
20190305%20SanCamillo-R.jpg

Gelbe Reisen Variant.  These are from true seeds off a plant I’ve been growing for a few years that was supposed to be Gelbe Riesen, but the pods are more orange vs yellow, rounder/less boxy, and just a touch smaller. I don’t know if it’s a natural variation or it might have crossed with a Costa Rica Orange, but it's a great plant. I have a few of these started and am curious what comes of them.
20190305%20GRV-R.jpg

Giant Yellow Rocoto.  Suppose I should pinch that bud off.
20190305%20GYellow-R.jpg

Recently hatched Gelbe Riesen sprouts (the parent plant has been a beast for me for a while now) and CAP 217 Hyper-Pube.
20190305%20Hyper&Gelbe-R.jpg

That’s it for the rocotos for now.  Will try to post up some pics of the early wilds in a little bit. 

CD

Mildfruit said:
Just realized you are also trying to germinate blue mystery. I saw it first time in the Wilds tread somewhere on this forum, I really hope you succeed in germinating it, such a cool plant! 
The first Blue Mystery popped this morning, day 19 since dropping the seeds.  Really happy to see it and hoping for at least 1 more.  Only planted a few seeds because I had a limited amount and was expecting to share them, so I've been holding my breath on this one!

lespaulde said:
Beautiful pic, and pics overall! Thanks for sharing, these plants are looking amazing, well done! The hyper pube definitely induces a couple of laughs, but I'm guessing that was at least half the point [emoji38]

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Thanks man!  These guys are really fun to grow - but what peppers aren't?

Not sure where you can go to after "hyper."  Maybe one of these days there'll be a thread/poll to name a stable hybrid.  Would be hilarious to see the names people around here could come up with.

stettoman said:
Yay on your Aleppo, man! I'm still waiting on mine. Funny how some of these seeds will string it out!!

My XL Brown is being stubborn too, but I'm still workin' on holding my face right....So there's hope!

Yep, I'm trying to hold out hope too. I had another variety that finally popped just recently and in decent numbers, so it's possible. Plus I dropped the last few seeds I had 6 days ago. The earlier XLB's will hit the 3 week mark this weekend, though so it's hard not to feel a bit of

:deadhorse:

CaneDog said:

"  Maybe one of these days there'll be a thread/poll to name a stable hybrid.  Would be hilarious to see the names people around here could come up with.

I don't know what "people" your referring too..They are likely childish and sick minded I bet     :eh: 

:metal:

CDNmatt said:

I don't know what "people" your referring too..They are likely childish and sick minded I bet     :eh:

Yeah, what Matty said.

I feel sort of offended   :D

CDNmatt said:

PaulG said:
Yeah, what Matty said.

I feel sort of offended   :D

Ha.  I won't name any names.  I think we all know who we are  ;)

Had a handful of large red rocotos flush this morning on day 8 since planting, so that narrows it down to just XL Brown and Red Manzano as rocoto varieties I'm still waiting to sprout.

Been enjoying the look of these purple jalaps.  The cotyledons on the biggest one remind me of something, but I haven't been able to place what it is yet.  I have some zapotec growing too, to do the heavy lifting.

20190323%20PurpleJalap.jpg

Just got good news visiting the grow room.  I waited quite a while for my Blue Mystery and XL Browns to sprout, with one Blue? finally sprouting a couple days ago and still no sign of an XLB as of day 21 this morning.  Anyhow, just checked in saw the below.  A second Blue? and a first XLB just poking up.  Really psyched about these guys and now I have only 2 varieties left I'm counting on to make an appearance this year and neither has been planted very long, so I'm hopeful.

Blue? on the left and XLB on the right, not that it really matters...
20190324_BlueMyst%20&%20XLBHooks.jpg

internationalfish said:
Very nice! The more the merrier, right?

Ha!  Within a certain range, yes, but I seem to stretch that range to where that's a valid question.  I am really psyched to see these come though. I wanted a second, "safety" Blue Mystery and I shared-out some XLB seeds and anytime I do that I'd hate for them to be duds. Plus the XLB pods I saw looked really cool and I planted the few seeds I had, so I really want to have a stock of them at the end of this season.

CaneDog said:
I wanted a second, "safety" Blue Mystery and I shared-out some XLB seeds and anytime I do that I'd hate for them to be duds. Plus the XLB pods I saw looked really cool and I planted the few seeds I had, so I really want to have a stock of them at the end of this season.

Yeah, when I first grew peppers, I only had really safe, isolated varieties... definitely blindsided by the frequency of unwanted cross-pollination I've seen here. Particularly with varieties you're in love with, definitely worth the effort to make sure you're getting some true seeds.

PaulG said:
Alright, CD, patience is a virtue!

Glad to see the stubborn ones
making an appearance for you!

Yes, it is that and sometimes I have it and sometimes I don't.  As of this morning I now have 4 of the Blue Mystery from the 5 planted.  I think I've been spoiled by what has generally been a very good germination season and got impatient about a variety that actually preformed well and within a normal timeline for that type.

internationalfish said:

Yeah, when I first grew peppers, I only had really safe, isolated varieties... definitely blindsided by the frequency of unwanted cross-pollination I've seen here. Particularly with varieties you're in love with, definitely worth the effort to make sure you're getting some true seeds.
Yeah, I've had plenty of field-crossed plants that turned out great, good production, flavor, and heat and that I've even over-wintered because they were such good plants, but the bottom line is I prefer to know I have true seed on hand that's been dried and stored properly so it's dependable when I want to use or share it, even if that's a few seasons down the line. There's only so many spots in the lineup and unless you're intentionally growing a mystery seed for the fun of not knowing or making a cross to see what might come of it, it's kinda nice to have confidence you'll be getting what you expected.

Back