• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

College Football Thread

:oops: Where did that come from? HEHE j/k Thought that would get your attention. 6 td's eh, huh, I didn't even realize your offense scored 6 times this year. ;) Seriously though, I just can't decide who I am going for this weekend. Never been much of a Florida fan, but Saban has to be one of the sleaziest coaches around. I figure it will be a hell of a game though.

jacob

As usual, whoever wins this game will be National Champs! the National Champs are usually determined in the dome,in December anyway, so no need for a playoff system.No other conference can even think of contending with the SEC.

As usual, whoever wins this game will be National Champs! the National Champs are usually determined in the dome,in December anyway, so no need for a playoff system.No other conference can even think of contending with the SEC.

Well, all I can say is Michigan is something like 23-5-1 against the SEC all time. 7-3 in bowl games. AND the last one was against Florida and the "great" tebow. Another one against the gators a few years before that when grossman was there. So much for that theory.

So much for that theory--- lol this is fun! '07 Michigan beat us,yep, lemme see who was nat champs that year? oh,, how bout the year before that? or the year after? how bout the year after that? looks like the SEC needs to bow down to the almighty big 10!

Ok, cool! You said it. It'll be like 1865 all over again :lol:

North vs South...big ten vs SEC...it's like the civil war all over again...that's what makes the games so exciting to watch

I have taken a little time this morning and compiled the won lost record of the SEC vs other conferences from 1998-2009...the past twelve years...and I was surpried by the outcome...

secvsotherconferences.jpg

it seems the SEC has owned the Big 10 AND Big 12 since 1998...but have been taken down big time by the ACC...

I have said this before and will say it again...first objective for an Auburn Alumnus/Fan is to win the Alabama State Title (meaning whip 'Bamas butt)....second objective is to win SEC (once you win the SEC, you are in the drivers seat for national recognition), third objective is to win a national title (and Auburn has only one - 1957 and that tied with Ohio State

speaking of national titles...lets check out the national title standings over the same time period (1998-2009)

1998 Tennessee - SEC
1999 Florida State - ACC
2000 Oklahoma - Big 12
2001 Miami - ACC
2002 Ohio State - Big 10
2003 LSU - SEC
2004 USC - Pac 10
2005 Texas - Big 12
2006 Florida - SEC
2007 LSU - SEC
2008 Florida - SEC
2009 Alabama - SEC

I think this speaks for itself...
SEC 6
ACC 2
Big 12 2
Big 10 1
Pac 10 1

now if you want to go back to when we started playing football in college in 1869 and national championships since then...we can all bow down to the Ivy League...

NCAANationalFootballChampionshipssince1869.jpg

Draw your own conclusions...my conclusion is that the SEC will continue to kick butt and take names.....

All that and you didnt even mention the undefeated Auburn team that got totally screwed, was it 03?
Hopefully we can help you take out Nick Satan Saturday night, though I'm not super confident about it.But the 2 best coaches in football going at it! Thats gonna be awesome. and if anyone has nicks number ,it is Urban. and keep your eye on this cat named Burton.He's the real deal.

<===is still taking a wait and see attitude this year...I truly don't know what Auburn has and what they can do with what they do have...

ah yes, the undefeated season...who'd a thunk it....

Well AJ, those numbers are a bit misleading. Cant debate the NC as the Big 10 is at a disadvantage without the championship game and ending the season before thanksgiving. Thankfully that is changing. The other conference with NC that doesn't have a championship game is the PAC 10 and let's face it, USC didn't have much competition out west. The only team that was close to there level was Oregon. 1 tough game a year will win conference championships everywhere.

But we can debate the rest. The conference matchups you show above include the ever inclusive out of conference against the bottom dwellers of other conferences. Not exactly a good comparison, better to look at bowl games.

So let's look at the BIG 10 / SEC match ups in bowl games: My boys in blue are 7-3 in bowls vs the SEC (23-5-1 alltime vs the SEC including the bottom dwellers), Penn State is 9-7 vs the SEC in bowls (15-16 alltime). Overall the Big 10 has split the series at 9-9 in the last 18, and lead the alltime series 91-86-6. Hardly owning the BIG 10. You have however owned Ohio State (1-10-1 vs the SEC, 0-9 in bowls)and Wisconsin (2-8 vs the SEC alltime but couldn't find bowl record vs SEC.) I personally can't wait until we start owning OSU again. Just a matter of time.

Let's face it, the SEC is not as great a conference as the media and there fans think. There are some great teams in there the same as in the BIG 10, BIG 12, and PAC 10 (ACC and Big East are kinda weak). After looking at the comparisons, looks like you guys are actually number 2, but don't worry, it gives you guys something to aspire to. :lol:

One more thing. You can also take the IVY league out of the equation for the National Championships as they are not in Div 1A anymore. So, that makes the Big 10 number 1 again, SEC number 2. :lol:

GOD I LOVE COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!!!!
jacob

This is cool, I think I'll set my tv to the history channel. I think Bo Shembechler must be coaching the wolverines!Oh yea and the Seminoles are still a female only school!"that part is true" There might be one team in each of the other conferences that can compete for 1 game any given Saturday, but try an SEC schedule week in and week out! Hell yall fired Carr and he actually beat OSU once in awhile! Dont brag on your record vs. SEC until you can win your own conference!

EDIT: This is all in fun ,Sarcasm doesnt come across well in posts :) :)

Illinois: National Champions 1951. Go Illini - Go Big 10 (except for Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc)

Hell, if OSU would pull their own weight, I would be bragging even more as the impressiveness of out excellence against the SEC would be more obvious. :lol:

I don't know, I think I would rather play in the SEC given our record against it. Who wouldn't want to vandy, carolina, kentucky, miss st, ole miss.....not exactly the cream of the crop. Tenn looks horrible and may be a few years before they have a pulse again, Georgia the same, Auburn looks good so far, Alabama is back (at least until there next probation) and then Florida, well, we both know how you guys fared against us the only 2 times we played. :lol: Can't you tell I am loved by my neighbors. :lol:

Actually, Carr didn't get fired, he retired. As bad as we have been the last few against the suckeyes, we still lead the series 57-43-6. But since you like history so much, you realize that Michigan is the only team in the history of football to go an entire 11 game season undefeated without giving up a single point? A record that has stood for over 100 years. Outscoring opponents 550-0 that season and winning the inaugaral Rose Bowl 49-0 against Stanford (who walked off the field in third quarter) and won the first of 11 National Championships and second of 42 conference championships. We have had more undefeated season (17) than losing seasons (13). We have won at least a share of the Big 10 title 40% of the time (42 out of 104 seasons). Not bad, eh? Compare to Florida: 7 conference championships in 77 years in the SEC (9% of the time). Let's face it, florida is a relatively new member to the college football landscape. A place where Michigan has been an icon for well over 100 years.

Great post JJS. Not denying the SEC's dominance over the "title game" over the past decade plus- but they got their scrub teams just like everybody else, c'mon...

Thanks for all the charts and research too AJ- I got lost one day in some college football research. I'm too much of a lazy dumba$$ to get it all in a concise post. Or maybe I didn't find what I was looking for :lol:

I'm hopin' for a major Big Ten resurgence soon... Especially if it involves teams other than Chokehio State. I don't think kids wanna play in the snow anymore tho :(

I don't know, I think I would rather play in the SEC given our record against it. Who wouldn't want to vandy, carolina, kentucky, miss st, ole miss.....not exactly the cream of the crop. Tenn looks horrible and may be a few years before they have a pulse again, Georgia the same, Auburn looks good so far, Alabama is back (at least until there next probation) and then Florida, well, we both know how you guys fared against us the only 2 times we played. :lol: Can't you tell I am loved by my neighbors. :lol:
I disagree agree a little about S Carolina ,and a glaring ommision is LSU, both with nat champ winning coaches! I guess if yall keep taking our rejects from FLA "I counted about 10 on Mich" Yall may someday be decent. I cant argue with 100's years of tradition, but in OUR lifetimes I guess a split with Nebraska is cool! :) Cough cough app state cough.

Oops, forgot about LSU and their Michigan Man coach. :lol: And come on man, Carolina hasn't been a real threat in my lifetime. Holtz had a couple championships as well, but look how that worked out. Maybe Spurrier can get them sorted out before they fire him too, but right now it is still the second best school in SC, and it's not like Clemson is a real powerhouse.

App st is what happens when you take an opponent lightly. Worse part is they went on to win the national championship in their division for the third straight year that year. How you can't take that seriously, I just don't know. Sad part is, you guys lost to the team that lost to App St that year. :cool:

well, Auburn has only played Michigan twice....84 Sugar bowl and 2001 Citrus Bowl...each team has a win...so we are tied...we beat you by 2 points in 84 (9-7) and lost by 3 in 2001 (31-28)...so you michiganders are up on us by one point...

I do have to admit, Michigan is a favorite northern team of mine...they always come to play whether they have a good team or not...

I am as excited as a kid on xmas eve! the 2 most dominant teams and coaches prolly since the 80's sooners and huskers.. going back 2+ years these 2 are 60-2 vs everyone 'cept each other. Hope everyones teams do well today.especially if your a Virgina fan! :)

Is it possible for both Bama and Florida to lose? :rofl:

in all seriousness, I think the game will be a cliff hanger...won't get to watch it because I have a gig from 7-10...typical...BUT....I will watch Auburn play ULM (University of Louisiana @ Monroe...I don't expect much but sure hope this game doesn't jump up and bite us in the butt...

Went to the Illinois/Ohio State game. Watching the Alabama/Florida game. As much as it pains me to say this - there is no comparison (at least from today) between #1 and #2. Alabama is clearly better than Ohio State. Except for 2 long runs Terrell Pryor was largely ineffective (although he did get hurt and came back to lead them on a game winning drive - aided by some questionable officiating) - any hopes he had of the Heismann faded today.

Back