• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Comfort Food Throwdown... BEGIN!

Most comforting food?

• JayT - Chile-rubbed Prime Rib with Gorgonzola Mashed Potatoes and Parmesan Green Bean Casserole

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • paulky_2000 - Paul's Pork Chops wWith Firecracker Corn And Masochistic Mac-N-Cheese!

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Quadshotz - Salsbury Steak w/ Bacon-Serrano Beans, Mashed Poatoes & Mushroom Gravy

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Noshownate - WHite Bullet Meat Loaf w/Honey Bacon Grilled Corn and Brown Sugar Glazed Sweet Potatoes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • POTAWIE - POTAWIE'S Pulled Pork Platter

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • moyboy - Pip's Great Balls of Fire

• SumOfMyBits - Ain't Grandma's Chicken w/ Creamed Spinach and Stuffin'

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • frydadd4 - Shrimp N Grits N Greens N Bluebell

• texasblues - TB's TexMex Combinacions Plato Grande

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This contest is heating up folks....can TB pull it off? :think: Or will Potawie take it all the way? And, lets not forget about JayT, a very strong contender.

Oh, and P. Dreadie, I mean Paul, I think that your meal is to die for! I Lllloooovvvveee Meatloaf!

All I know is that everyone's meals are making me so hungry that I just don't know what to eat. :lol:

:looks in fridge and can't find anything worthy:

paulky_2000 said:
Something tells me that I'm far outclassed on this one....

Awesome dishes everyone!!

Never! That meatloaf looks to die for....It is comfort food after all. ;)

Noshownate said:
wheres yours pfreak?

Unfortunately I have to work all weekend and didn't have the time to prepare anything...I wanted to do a traditional Italian Lasagna with sautéed zucchini and homemade Italian bread, all accompanied with a fresh tossed salad with homemade Italian dressing. All recipes from my grandmother and they were all passed down from her grandmother. But alas, not time. :(

texas blues said:
So....Pippy claims to know nada about comfort food and whips out Balls O' Fire for the WIN! Right. Who is Pippy really working for? Government mole? KGB? SMASH? Very suspicious indeed. Now after seeing that pic of the BOF's.....I'm pullin' out all the stops!!

BRING IT TB...:D

I'm sure your meal will rival the highest mountain....:lol:

and thanks for the compliment....

paulky_2000 said:
Something tells me that I'm far outclassed on this one....

Never! Wait for the polls Sunday/Monday, they're nuts!

To clarify, P2K did the chops. P.Dreadie did the meatloaf, and both were awesome.

Pepperfreak said:
Never! That meatloaf looks to die for....It is comfort food after all. ;)

Unfortunately....

I didn't make meatloaf...I made pork chops....which doesn't seem to be the norm in the comfort food realm! LOL!!!

;)

paulky_2000 said:
Unfortunately....

I didn't make meatloaf...I made pork chops....which doesn't seem to be the norm in the comfort food realm! LOL!!!

;)

:gasp: :oops: OMG....I guess 1 cup of coffee just wasn't enough today. Pepperfreak Failed! Where's Nova?

Paul, I looked again, I really like your pork chops. They look real tasty. Don't loose faith, I think your still in the running. ;)

Ain't Grandma's chicken w/ creamed spinach and stuffin'

Hell, everyone else is posting with ridiculously long titles... why not join in the fun?

(Edit: I love chicken smothered with gravy made from its own drippings. Throw in some homemade stuffing cooked in the bird the way it should be, and some creamed spinach... mmmmm.

The whole chicken roast is nothing to be intimidated by. I mix up a dry rub and stuff the majority of it under the skin, covering the breast meat liberally, and even work some under the thigh skin. Whatever is left of the rub gets dusted over the bird. The rub ingreds are never measured, but I can guestimate for you what went in.
The Rub:
2 Tbs Paprika
1 Tbs Cumin
1 Tbs Granulated Garlic
1 ts crushed Red Pepper
2 ts dried Basil
2 ts dried Oregano
1/2 ts ground mustard
1/2 ts ground ginger
1/2 ts fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 ts sea salt

The Stuffing [refer to teaser post for pic]:
6 slices white bread
3 green onion chop fine
1 stalk celery chop fine
(Edit 3 cloves garlic chop fine)
1 Tbs Montreal Chicken seasoning
6 crushed dried tabasco peppers from garden
salt and pepper to taste and shake all together in lidded container.

Once the bird is stuffed, place on rack on roasting pan and toss it in the oven preheated 275F for about three hours. Done.

The Gravy:
This is huge flavor.
1 cup chicken stock [I make mine by boiling the neck, liver, kidneys and heart for an hour]
1 Tbs flour
When the bird is done and resting, scrape off as much crusted over drippings in the pan as desired and mix in the stock. Add flour slowly till thickened stirring the whole time.

Viola!!! Awesomeness.)

Add a little heavy cream to the spinach whilst watching the gravy thicken.
IMG_1473.jpg

The bird... done. Note: the dark spot is where I stuffed some of those home grown dried tabascos. 12 in all made it under the skin, and six in the stuffin'.
IMG_1481.jpg

The plate. This was one hell of a meal.
IMG_1491.jpg

Prost!
IMG_1485.jpg

I devoured this plate in less than ten minutes. The stuffing had me wiping the brow. Awesome.

Long title with main dish and two sides and no foo, long title is a must on this challenge i think, Sum you might have sumed up comfort food;)

Thanks Nate!

Fellow throwers, peep this...

I bought ingredients, cooked the food while watching UM beat the tar out of whomever, watched Alabama take LSU, have drained 6+ "beers", posted my plate, and am currently watching UF punch Vandy in the jeans... all before FD4 posted his entry (and he's been done since Friday evening).

FD4???

all these comfort foods are looking good! Don't think I'll be able to enter into this one. The lil' lady is on her way to Vegas tomorrow to blow the nest egg. Damn I wish I didn't tell her to quit blowing all the money on shoes, that'll be a drop in the bucket to Vegas :doh:

damn sum (not dim sum, thats something else)

Nice job everyone, but comfort doesn't exist unless it has 2 ingredients.

Grits and Ice cream.

Stay Tuned and Bend Over.

frydad4 said:
damn sum (not dim sum, thats something else)

Nice job everyone, but comfort doesn't exist unless it has 2 ingredients.

Grits and Ice cream.

Stay Tuned and Bend Over.

And the SoFlo Posse comes full circle! Get your mojo workin'!

Vote For This: Win an iPod. Shrimp N Grits N Greens N Bluebell

So I gots me my ingredients:
IMG_1447.jpg

Anybody who grows up east of Utah and South of Ohio knows that Bluebell ice Cream is the best. Made in lovely Brenham, Texas, they have their own cows to make the delicious treats we so enjoy. I have been to the factory in texas, and it was quite comfortable.

Shrimp and grits is a southern delicacy. Many people might not "get it". The grits are cheesy, the shrimp are sauteed in bacon fat and (usually) cooked with some 'shrooms and green onions. I threw in a few serranos. The flavor of the pepper really made a difference.

IMG_1448.jpg

Collard Greens are another delicacy most people don't understand. They can be easily grown (see indredient pic), and taste best chopped fine, cooked till tender with some smoked pork products, and best served with the spiciest vinegar you can make. I use several, and just pour a bunch on.

In Miami, we eat a lot of dulce de leche, which is a fancy way to say "caramel" in some alien language. Really, you just cook up some sweetened condensed milk until it turns brownish. I spiced mine up with a ripe red jalapeno and served it on the aforementioned Bluebell ice cream. It was quite possibly the best dessert I have ever had. I so strongly recommend this. 1 can sweetened condensed milk in a saucepan, 1 red ripe jalapeno minced, stir over low heat until it browns a bit. Serve over ice cream. Give some to a ladyfriend and enjoy the results.

This was comfort food at its best. Delicious, and spicy.

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back