• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Exotic Meats?

chilehunter said:
pam - I only brought up wild turkey since chilliman said he didnt know what they tasted like.

And I'm just being silly.

please explain whats with the part of "no,no, your correct" ? I say something wrong ? & then something correct ? or is this supposed to be sarcasm ?

Oh no, I meant you were correct to mention the wasting disease. I need good information to make good decisions. While I've read of the wasting disease in elk and deer, I don't hunt and so only get the occasional gift of venison. I might not have connected the dots between the two bits of information if you hadn't brought it up.

I agree with you that the venison is probably safe, but we had venison sausage, too; and I don't know who processed it. It's something I'll tell my Great Poo Pet of Love to ask about next time.

darthcarl said:
I don't know how anyone likes gator, gamey-est thing I've ever had.

and there is one foolproof way to prepare all meats...jerky!!!

I've found with Gator it depends on where it's taken and time of year. I've had some fresh G that was wonderful- not gamey-tasting at all. I've also had some fresh G that had such a nasty-ass swampy/gamey after taste to it that would curl your spine.

As for Jerky, I agree completely!!

Stewed snake is good - very delicate gamey flavor, some chicken stock, young potatoes, whole green beans - anything else overpowers it.

By far though, the best odd meat I've tried was spit-roasted goat - we did feed it curry powder,mustard seeds, garlic & ginger for a week before its demise & hung it in a rainforest tree for 2 days for curing (was mid-winter 10C ).

the only one i've had on that list is wild turkey. but i've never eaten it before...used to get a bottle on thanksgiving. ;)

my roommate bought some ground buffalo once to make some burgers..i didn't end up having any of it.

not sure if i could bring myself to eat snake. though i guess if i eat one animal..theres really no difference in eating snakes...its just all in my head.

Well I've tried the following and liked most of them.
Bear
Antelope
Caribou
Shark
Possum
Raccoon
Rabbit
Buffalo
Wild Turkey, Goose, Duck
Pheasant
Quail
Deer

and just for the record, I generally don't eat anything that is a reptile, amphibian, or has an exoskeleton. :lol:

P_Schneider said:
and just for the record, I generally don't eat anything that is a reptile, amphibian, or has an exoskeleton. :lol:

I've had frog legs, alligator, and even snails, and I have to agree with you. I didn't particularly care for any of them.

102-0221_IMG.JPG

fried tarantulas anyone?? :lol:

When it comes to cheese...is there really ever enough? Like burgers, a so so burger can be a little better if you add gluttonous amounts of melted cheese...but for spiders....just make a cheese sauce and dip ala fondue!!!

xgrafcorex said:
the only one i've had on that list is wild turkey. but i've never eaten it before...used to get a bottle on thanksgiving. :)

I won this >LINK< its stashed away in a cupboard, what's it worth u think?

And forget Roo...unless you're planning to resole your shoes

texas blues said:
When it comes to cheese...is there really ever enough? Like burgers, a so so burger can be a little better if you add gluttonous amounts of melted cheese...but for spiders....just make a cheese sauce and dip ala fondue!!!

http://www.californiawineandfood.com/news/exotic-dinner.htm how about some tarantula tempura?

bentalphanerd said:
I won this >LINK< its stashed away in a cupboard, what's it worth u think?

no clue, but that looks pretty badass! nice prize! haven't had any either of those wild turkeys...pretty much just the regular and the higher proof one.

Got a brass Turkey badge on the hand-made timber box, the chips are still sealed in shrinkwrap & I have the winners confirmation letter from W.T & newspaper page for public notice all inclusive. They say it was worth 800 when I won it 2 years ago...now it's an heirloom to my son.
Any takers :)....well no, am not selling,, but always wonder what it may be worth

Back