• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Exotic Meats?

Shooty* said:
Can you, like, get a job on telly talking about spiders and stuff? Would seem to be your ideal calling. The next Steve Irwin?

haha i'd love to..but there are already a few people doing that, and they happen to know a LOT more than i do about spiders. i've only been into that stuff for about 2 years now. there are people i talk with/learn from on other forums that have been into the hobby for a few decades.

xgrafcorex said:
haha i'd love to..but there are already a few people doing that, and they happen to know a LOT more than i do about spiders. i've only been into that stuff for about 2 years now. there are people i talk with/learn from on other forums that have been into the hobby for a few decades.

Yabut, can the stand in front of a camera and look charming and enthusiastic? You can always get the information you need from the net or another expert, but telling it to the average Joe without being stuffy and boring is a real talent.

Pam said:
What is a good way to grill venison? Someone gave my geekish beloved some venison for fixing their computer, and we tried grilling a couple of the steaks, but they were tough. I was afraid they would be, and we marinated them, but apparently not correctly.

The venison sausage was killer, though.

I eat VENISON ALL OF THE TIME!!! (All I eat pretty much that's red meat.) I just keep it simple. I don't like marinading them. I sprinkle on some season salt with what ever else I feel like. Then I throw them on the grill......Flip.......Flip.........Gruuunt...(Like it did before it died!!:lol:) If you over cook venison it can be tough. Especially the steaks. I just eat them rare.:)

Now about other meats I've eaten. Venison, duck, goose, pheasant, grouse, rabbit, elk, ostrich, alligator, squirrel,dove, and I was dared to eat live ants once. Oddly the things tasted good. Kind of like sweet tarts. I know I could eat them over and over if I had to survive!!!:lol::):lol: I still want to try bear meat, caribou, and oddly there's a raccon recipe that I heard is good. Other than this recipe I hear it's greasy, but I will try it if I get a chance. As far as getting the bear meat. I will have to go bear hunting with my bow as soon as I get some free time. I've had pork as most people have, but I've never had wild boar yet. I plan on hitting the land of Florida next spring to hunt some with a buddy. Anyone got any good boar recipes.(In case the leaness changes the taste a little.)

chilehunter said:
pam - rare, what do you call rare ? since everyones opinion of rare is different. a little pink wouldnt hurt, but I like to be on the safe side & cook it until the juices are turning clear,about that time its fully cooked & still tender, thats where watching it closely is helpful because it can get overdone quickly.
cook it just like you would beef BUT venison takes less time to cook.I know I've said this several times already :lol:
I dont want to scare you but if the deer came from a CWD area (chronic wasting disease) I'd cook it until theres no longer any pink just to be safe, & the CWD prions stay in the spine/brain not in the meat.theres no proof humans can even get infected from this. maybe I shouldnt of brought this up.
the sauteing w/garlic & onions is for cooking in a pan (I just had to say that, just in case you thought it was for basting like the other mixture butter/brown sugar/soy sauce) I tend to put more brown sugar in the mixture so its not so runny

"big goofuses" ? is that towards me ? I cooked my wild turkey on the grill, I injected it with some sauce & basted with it also, the turkey turned out great (but I had it wrap somewhat with foil) but the legs got overdone :) I should of put the leg section on when the breast section was about halfway done to prevent the legs from drying out, the legs went towards turkey noodle soup.

This is true about the CWD area. Fortunately Michigan isn't one yet. There's some TB up in northern Michigan, but it's obvious to tell if it has it when you open it up and it's pretty much contained in a certain part of the state. When they found out there was TB in the heard they went overboard with Doe Permits. It makes sense because it thins out the herd and keeps it from spreading so easily. Stinks for hunting though. I feel safe eating rare venison from the areas I hunt. If you know it's from a good area I wouldn't be to concerned. That's just me though. If somewhere else I would cook it more therally.

rabbit - as for TB in MN deer, the DNR will try to shoot them all(planned DNR hunts) & give unlimited tags for hunters in those areas, yea it does suck for hunting but its for the better of the herd & other wildlife, to try to kill off the diseased animals.
as for bear I've been told it tastes great but then this also depends on its diet & your care after the harvest, treat it like you would pork. I hope to soon find out myself this year, it'll be my 1st time going after bear so it should be really interesting :lol:

chilehunter said:
rabbit - as for TB in MN deer, the DNR will try to shoot them all(planned DNR hunts) & give unlimited tags for hunters in those areas, yea it does suck for hunting but its for the better of the herd & other wildlife, to try to kill off the diseased animals.
as for bear I've been told it tastes great but then this also depends on its diet & your care after the harvest, treat it like you would pork. I hope to soon find out myself this year, it'll be my 1st time going after bear so it should be really interesting :lol:

Yeah, I don't have a problem with that plan. The DNR has implemented that plan on the herd with TB too. They'll come back. I honestly don't hunt in that area anyway. I have heard that it has obviously hurt the deer hunting in that area. Then again. That was the plan to reduce the herd size. Hope it works. It seems pretty contained so far. They've gotta do what they gotta do. Know what I mean.
I myself have never gone bear hunting yet. I put in for a license up in the UP (Upper Penninsula) a few years ago,but haven't put in for one yet again. I've been really busy. I think I will start putting in for one on a regular basis starting with the next application though. I still get to keep my preference points since I've already applied. The average wait is 2 to 3 years. I have a friend up in the UP that really knows the area and the bears as well. When I get one I will be searching some areas with him......Oh, yeah before I forget....GOOD LUCK!!!! If you get one let me know. You can PM me some pics!!!

rabbit said:
I eat VENISON ALL OF THE TIME!!! (All I eat pretty much that's red meat.) I just keep it simple. I don't like marinading them. I sprinkle on some season salt with what ever else I feel like. Then I throw them on the grill......Flip.......Flip.........Gruuunt...(Like it did before it died!!:hell:) If you over cook venison it can be tough. Especially the steaks. I just eat them rare.:lol:

ever make Deer Jerky?

chilliman64 said:
ever make Deer Jerky?

As much as I eat deer and considering the fact that I've eaten it as well. I've never made it yet. I plan on making a bunch of it this year though. I intend on making some homemade brats as well.

I just picked up a hald of pound of BUFFALO TRI-TIP!!!!!!! Dave and I are going to coat it in freshly cracked Peppercorn (litterally cracked on the spot 5 minutes before it goes on the grill) and grill it to Medium/Medium Rare (the way it's ment to be cooked)

Did you know "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo" is a grammatically correct sentence ?

imaguitargod said:
I just picked up a hald of pound of BUFFALO TRI-TIP!!!!!!! Dave and I are going to coat it in freshly cracked Peppercorn (litterally cracked on the spot 5 minutes before it goes on the grill) and grill it to Medium/Medium Rare (the way it's ment to be cooked)

Did you know "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo" is a grammatically correct sentence ?
Your making me jealous that sounds GOOD!!! Also reminds me. I forgot I ate a buffalo burger at a restaurant once. GOOD STUFF!! To bad they didn't cultivate those instead of cows. Honestly that meal sounds GOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!:mouthonfire:

I was in Thailand in june with two chiliheadfriends.We hat lot of insects and frogs

RIMG0357.JPG

RIMG0364.JPG

RIMG0375.JPG

RIMG0366_001.JPG

bbq phil - I dont know if insects qualify as "exotic MEATS" but none the less they are EXOTIC. I'd have to have several alcoholic drinks before I start chewing on some grasshopers & whatever else you ate.
so how did they taste ?

chilehunter said:
bbq phil - I dont know if insects qualify as "exotic MEATS" but none the less they are EXOTIC. I'd have to have several alcoholic drinks before I start chewing on some grasshopers & whatever else you ate.
so how did they taste ?

I heard in Cambodia they have a liquor that some tribe makes that's made from chewed up fruits. Then the saliva is left to ferment. Heard it's REALLY strong!! Maybe you could use that to reduce your fear of trying it.;):think::lol:

@ chilehunter

We had lot s of Singha-Beer before we tried it.
RIMG0531.JPG

Ok,insects may not real meat for us but we also had a croco-stew wich was pretty hot (The bartender of "our"bar made it especially for us.We complained to him that we are in Thailand,beg for hot food,but all was just medium-hot.I don't know what he put in but this stuff burned twice.

RIMG0537.JPG

rabbit - aww man thats just sick! I'll pass on that booze ;)

bbq phil - that croc dish looks tasty & would have some decent heat to it.

1.- COOL BEER PYRAMID.....REMINDS ME OF THE GOOD OLD DAYS!!:lol:
2.- Honestly that croc stew looks like a horse took a dump on your plate. You can even see the unchewed green grass in it!!:mouthonfire:....LOL!!....Ok now not messing around it sounds like it would taste pretty good.;)

Back