• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Exotic Meats?

DEFCON Creator said:
Cheese = solidified cow excrement. Icky!

**********PEDANT WARNING! PEDANT WARNING!**********

Excrement is waste material.

Milk - and thus milk fat- is food for young mammals.

So technically, cheese would be solidified fat from baby food.

/pedant

Okay so tarantula's and cheese both get the "finger". How's this for exotic meat then.../

chix.jpg

Pam said:
**********PEDANT WARNING! PEDANT WARNING!**********

Excrement is waste material.

Milk - and thus milk fat- is food for young mammals.

So technically, cheese would be solidified fat from baby food.

/pedant
Milk=does the body bad.

I've eaten reindeer, alligator, crocodile, antelope, frog, llama, lamb, turtle, boar, duck, ostrich (and ostrich eggs too), pheasant, horse, snails, ants... and a few more but I ignore their english names... maybe you can help:

Yarará
086_YararaCuzu02.jpg

Araña Pollito (it's not a Tarantula as far as I know)
goliath.jpg

Codorniz
codorniz.jpg

(more in the next post, only 4 images allowed)

Carpincho
Carpincho_Palmar_2001.jpg

Cuis
Cuis3_CS_Sept2002.jpg

Mara (Patagonia Hare)
Mara_Temaiken_2003.jpg

Vizcacha
Vizcacha_Palmar_2001.jpg

I'm a huge lover of strange foods... maybe we could have some sort of exchange =D

I don't consider most of these on my list exotic, but maybe different to some of the readers.
I've had gator jerky, frog legs (taste like chicken), shark, deer jerky, dog (in Panama), Spam, hamburgers from McDonalds. btw, I LOVE MILK, especially goats milk and the unpasturized milk in Mexico. It's great for gettin rid of an upset stomach...

in those last 4 pics 3 are rodents that 3rd pic looks like a cross between a rodent & kangaroo, me personally if I cant slice off chuncks of meat I'm not eating it (to much work for little meat just like crab legs) & I dont eat organs

I usually try and get the red king. My gal has me split the legs and remove the meat. Once I deshell a pound or two for us, she has a big bowl with 2 sticks of melted butter and juice from a whole lemon standing by that I soak all the meat it. With parmagian toasted french bread and the chunks of butter and lemon soaked crab..it is pure evil.

chilehunter said:
in those last 4 pics 3 are rodents that 3rd pic looks like a cross between a rodent & kangaroo,

In fact, the third pict is a rodent too... it's a "mara", also called Patagonia Hare. It's kind of a hare, with much smaller ears and quite bigger. They also walk a lot more weird!

Have had: Reindeer, Frog, Kangaroo (I think), Lamb, Rabbit, Venison, Wild Boar, Duck, Goose, Guinea Fowl, Ostrich, Pheasant, Quail.

Add to that: pidgeon. Camel. baby octopus (friend with sesame seeds. Yum)

Gotta tell you, lamb is v common over here. I have an aunt who used to live in france who gave us frog. Venison common pub food. Boar usually served at university balls for breakfast. Duck, guinea fowl and pheasant again v common, goose less so but not unheard of.

Horse, anyone? Dog?

I've had venison, bear, elk, moose, caribou, eel, squid,turtle, frog legs, aligator, even chocolate covered grasshoppers. No spiders though.

always heard you can get an american (horse-loving nation) on his horse (belgian expression to upset someone) by saying that horsemeat is on the menu ... I don't see it on exoticmeat.com though and there is 'ordinary rabbit'. Dogs (belgians usually don't eat dogs except occasionnaly on a holiday in china) and cats (sometimes referred to as roof-rabbit), (musk)rat (sometimes referred to as waterrabbit)? Pigeons, almost medicinally used as a good diet (light for the intestins, sometimes even mentionned as aphrodisiac)

lots of exotic stuff to add to the menu...

I've had horse, many times.
Argentina is a horse loving country too, but we have a very stron italian influence, and Mortadella is originally made of... horse.
Nowadays it's made of other meats, though. But I ate horse many times, is not uncommon in the country.
It's kinda sweet.

hector said:
Araña Pollito (it's not a Tarantula as far as I know)
goliath.jpg

judging by the sheer size of that spider, your location, and the fact that the image is titled "goliath" ..i'd say that is Theraphosa blondi which is a tarantula. possibly the largest species in the world too! just watch out for the hairs on the abdomen. :lol:

i've never had horse before, but i did see some butcher shops in italy selling it.

speaking of horse meat..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/6658871.stm

PETA dumps a truckload of manure in front of chef ramsay's restaurant in the uk. he was the guy that hosted that hell's kitchen show. they did it in protest of him using horse meat. ;) as much as i don't like the PETA, i don't care for that ramsay guy either..so i got a laugh out of it this morning. :D

Can you, like, get a job on telly talking about spiders and stuff? Would seem to be your ideal calling. The next Steve Irwin?

Pidgeon is great. I love it.

Back