• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

First timer grow log

Howdy,

My name is Steve i live in Iowa, i have decided to try my hand at growing my favorite pepper this year and after reading many forums i decided to register here and post a pic to get some of you expert's input on my baby habs. This pic was taken today they were sowed 11 days ago, i have never attempted to grow peppers from seed so i am a complete newb and not sure what to look for as far as how things are goin so far. Thanks for any responses and take it easy.

hab.jpg

Looking very nice Steve, great job. I expect nothing less from an Iowa man though.

Suggestions. Don't be in a hurry to pot these guys up, give them a chance to grow some roots. It's much easier to transplant them when the roots are holding everything together. I usually wait until I see roots growing out of the drainage holes. Also put them in another cup, same type, and place something like a marble or anything of similar size between the cups. This way when you water them the excess won't come running out of the holes and end up all over the place, it stays in the second cup. The marble creates space between the cups for the excess water. Cup in a cup with a marble between them.

Keep up the great work.

Thanks Patrick,

when i popped them out i think it was wedensday the roots were starting to curl around the cups and they did hold all the mix together but nothing to the extent of some of the root balls ive seen in these cups on this forum so i wasnt to worried yet. i have been doing my bottom water about every 7-8 days and when i do i set them in a tray 6 at a time for 2 mins then set them on another tray cocked on the edge so the cups are titled with a hole pointing down hill and they sit there while i do the rest and drain a bit before they go back in the grow shelf but now that you mention it i did notice in yer log the 2 cup style jsut wasnt to sure the reasoning behind it i assumed it was to catch dranage might have to try that out. :cheers:

Howdy all,

Well today the kids got there first trip outside heres this fridays pics i took during there short half hour visit to the deck (45 days from sow)
IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

Excellent looking plants SRB.
Now then, do these "global buckets" work well with peppers? I live in Thailand and it would save loads of time not having to water twice a day.

Excellent looking plants SRB.
Now then, do these "global buckets" work well with peppers? I live in Thailand and it would save loads of time not having to water twice a day.

Thanks Ezzer.

Well im bout to find out i have Post in the grow tech with a link to were i got the idea and there is another reply there with a link to the global buckets they say good for all vegatables

Thanks Ezzer.

Well im bout to find out i have Post in the grow tech with a link to were i got the idea and there is another reply there with a link to the global buckets they say good for all vegatables

I'll have to keep an eye on this grow log to see how the global bucket shapes up. My seedlings are only a week or so old, so I have a few weeks. Are you planning on using global buckets for all your plants?

Best of luck to you.

I'll have to keep an eye on this grow log to see how the global bucket shapes up. My seedlings are only a week or so old, so I have a few weeks. Are you planning on using global buckets for all your plants?

Best of luck to you.

No i have 30 plants and i have 20 adopted out so I did this 1 in the SIP and im goin to see how i like it first i may do a few more but prolly not all 10 i will keep this log updated with there progress both the SIP's and the reg buckets.

thanks best of luck on your season as well :cheers:

I too built one of those buckets only to find out that the normal old mix i was using wasnt suitable for wicking water, what medium are you using? Looks good!

I too built one of those buckets only to find out that the normal old mix i was using wasnt suitable for wicking water, what medium are you using? Looks good!

Howdy,
yea i did read this article on what to use the article states as long as the main ingredent is sphagnum peat should be good so i jsut got a bag of cheap stuff that said the main ingredient was sphagnum peat jsut to get 1 built its probably not going to work well but i plan to make a few more and use Recipe #1 below, however at the bottom of there article it is a bit confusing they say to add Dolomite(1 cup) but i cant tell if they mean to add it to all 3 recipes or jsut #3 ??

Recipe #1: Sphagnum Peat
70% Sphagnum Peat
20% Vermiculite
10% Perlite

Recipe #2: Sphagnum Peat and Coir
35% Sphagnum Peat
35% Coir
20% Vermiculite
10% Perlite

Recipe #3: Coir
70% Coir
30% Perlite

Howdy,
yea i did read this article on what to use the article states as long as the main ingredent is sphagnum peat should be good so i jsut got a bag of cheap stuff that said the main ingredient was sphagnum peat jsut to get 1 built its probably not going to work well but i plan to make a few more and use Recipe #1 below, however at the bottom of there article it is a bit confusing they say to add Dolomite(1 cup) but i cant tell if they mean to add it to all 3 recipes or jsut #3 ??

Recipe #1: Sphagnum Peat
70% Sphagnum Peat
20% Vermiculite
10% Perlite

Recipe #2: Sphagnum Peat and Coir
35% Sphagnum Peat
35% Coir
20% Vermiculite
10% Perlite

Recipe #3: Coir
70% Coir
30% Perlite

The believe the dolomite lime is to raise the ph of the peat moss. My guess would be 1 cup for recipe 1, half a cup for no.2 and zero for no.3. The ph of coco coir is around neutral. But that's just my guess.

Howdy all,
This weeks Friday update(52 days from sow)

Well my adoption went better than i wanted when they seen my plants all the sudden the people that wanted 2 now wanted 5 and the guys that wanted 1 decided they would go with 3 and so on.
i went from 30 plants to 7 which is ok i guess anyway so i decided not to build another SIP as i was short on buckets and didnt want to go hussle anymore up so i'm going with 1 SIP and 6 reg buckets.

So here they all are potted up and chillen on my deck

IMG_0621.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

Here is another pic from this afternoon chillen out on the south facing side of the house there future final home.

IMG_0623.jpg

Steve, those little guys really look super, Nice Job. :onfire: I'd of had a hard time giving the others away.

Thanks LC, i did but i also felt good that they wanted more most of them were blown away at how well they were doin and most went to people i visit often so ill get to see them again :)

Howdy all,

Getten bad thunderstorms here so i brought the kiddies inside for the day and a few were begging to pose for you so here they are
IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

Back