• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Gassy's 2010/2011 Pepper Growing Thread Thingy

Well, even though I have absolutely no idea what the hell I am doing, I've decided to try my hand at pruning back some of my plants for overwinter:

IMG_4721.jpg

IMG_4722.jpg

I guess now I just wait and see what happens.

It's happening!!! :D

IMG_4768.jpg

In the middle of Autumn here but still have plants loaded with pods and still flowering and even budding....

IMG_4786.jpg

some nice photos again

I'm still waiting for my Costa Rican habaneros to go red to try them for the first time... they've been really really slow for some reason. Orange habaneros still have some green pods on them but they've already produced quite a bit....

some nice photos again

I'm still waiting for my Costa Rican habaneros to go red to try them for the first time... they've been really really slow for some reason. Orange habaneros still have some green pods on them but they've already produced quite a bit....
Thanks, mate!

Yeah, even though a fair whack of my plants are still producing, pods have really started taking their sweet time to ripen. I guess it's probably due to it being Autumn now and it's starting to get cooler.

Hope your Costa Ricans ripen for ya soon!

Kind of cool that you have two totally different shaped pods coming out of the same node. What does the BT stand for? Is the orange one your holding belong to the same plant? Sorry for all the questions.

Kind of cool that you have two totally different shaped pods coming out of the same node. What does the BT stand for? Is the orange one your holding belong to the same plant? Sorry for all the questions.
BT = Trinidad Scorpion ButchT. (I got lazy! :lol:)

The one I am holding is actually the other side of the one that is ripening in the previous pic.... I just thought it looked cooler. :cool:

Is it uncommon for a plant to produce two different shaped pods from the same node? I just figured it was normal for a TS BT as I knew they produced very different shaped pods.

I'm pretty sure it is uncommon for a plant to produce different shaped pods anywhere on the entire plant let alone the same node. However I have heard that the BT, dig that lazy thing, does it all the time. I'm growing one for the first time this year, hopefully I'll have something to compare with yours.

I'm pretty sure it is uncommon for a plant to produce different shaped pods anywhere on the entire plant let alone the same node. However I have heard that the BT, dig that lazy thing, does it all the time. I'm growing one for the first time this year, hopefully I'll have something to compare with yours.
Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure it's the first time I've seen it.... not that that's really saying much considering it's pretty much my first real season! :lol:

Whatever you're doing, those plants/pods look quite healthy for a 1st-season grower. Some have all the luck ;-)
Thanks, mate!

But my dirty little secret is that it's actually my second season. ;)

I say first real season though because my actual first one was an absolute disaster.... ended up losing half my plants to pepper hungry possums and the other half got murdered by mites. :cry:

Well, my season is winding up rapidly now and it's just about over! I'm pretty much just waiting on a handful of pods to ripen though before I call it done.

Picked some bad boy TS BTs today and a few other pods:

IMG_5044.jpg

IMG_5146.jpg

Mainly just waiting on a few assorted Bhuts now that are taking their sweet time:

IMG_5142.jpg

IMG_5131.jpg

IMG_5105.jpg

And my NOT Dorset Nagas:

IMG_5155.jpg

(That stuff dripping off them is neem oil.)

Manzano Amarillo finally making a come back now that it's getting cooler:

IMG_5147.jpg

Pruned most of my plants right back but gonna let a few go and see what they do over our winter here in the sub-tropics:

IMG_5085.jpg

IMG_5088.jpg

Pruned this Aji Limon back a few weeks ago and looks like he doesn't wanna stay down!:

IMG_5100.jpg

And I love these guys in their 20cm pots:

IMG_5084.jpg

Obviously growing their roots into the ground below. Definitely something I'm gonna experiment more with next season and see if I can't save myself some dosh on pots and potting mix! :D

Back