• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

HOT dogs

I think it is high time that we start giving one of the US' trademark foods it's due. There are a million ways to make a hot dog, and I have had many, but I have a freezer full of hot dogs (I seem to never be able to pass them up when on sale), and I need some ideas. I propose this thread as a place to show off your hot dog prowess. Let's make them creative and of course HOT! I don't have a get started pic as this just came to me and I have just eaten, but I promise to chime in with some pics soon. In the meantime, what is YOUR favorite dog?

My favorite dog is simple:  grilled dog, chili, mustard, raw onion on a grilled bun.  I spent about a year trying to nail a recipe for coney style chili.  Finally settled on sirloin, onions, some special chili powder, half pint of guiness and some beef broth.  The key is to sweat the onions then add the meat and the broth at the same time.  The meat poaches and the sirloin crumbles perfectly.  

EDIT:  From page 44, with some criolla cella peppers for heat :) 

110x6v8.jpg

SmokenFire said:
My favorite dog is simple:  grilled dog, chili, mustard, raw onion on a grilled bun.  I spent about a year trying to nail a recipe for coney style chili.  Finally settled on sirloin, onions, some special chili powder, half pint of guiness and some beef broth.  The key is to sweat the onions then add the meat and the broth at the same time.  The meat poaches and the sirloin crumbles perfectly.  

Best pic-less reply ever.

I totally believe in your recipe but I like coney sauce sloppy joe style, falling off the ends and staining the top of the rim of the hot dog bun. So just add more for me. :D

The Hot Pepper said:
I totally believe in your recipe but I like coney sauce sloppy joe style, falling off the ends and staining the top of the rim of the hot dog bun. So just add more for me. :D

I wrote and deleted my post which read:

"i imagined it bigger. i like the rare, out-of-balance SF cook, I guess ..."

#truth

I'd just add pickled jalapenos to the chili dog...

grantmichaels said:
Nice looking dogs ... just not for me!

Cue the outrage, I'm sure, but I like ketchup and relish (on a Nathan's dog) ...

No outrage here, eat em like you like em says I.  Ketchup on a dog in Chicago is nigh verboten though.  A couple dog places will take yer picture if you ask for ketchup before putting your dog in a to go bag lol...

I'm not a ketchup person for hot dogs but if it's not cold from the fridge and is on an all-beef dog, it's akin to what you do to a burger, the relish too. So I'll take it if you serve it to me.

Back