• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Melissa77754 2012 Glog

Hey Everyone
icon_smile.gif

So I figured it is about time I start a Grow log of my own and I will do my very best to keep it up to date. With two kiddos and a massive amount of plants my days can be pretty hectic. I grew jalapenos and serranos last season, had a decent harvest considering the small pot size I used. In July I met a nice lady giving away hot pepper seeds to newbies on GW, decided to give them a try, August met Smokemaster through a generous SASBE offer and the rest is history!! lol

I started a batch in late August so I have some "overwinters" if you will, living in SoCal I can grow year round with the right protection from time to time. I started out with a cheap 12'x7' hoop house and when the winds thrashed that I bought two 6x8 with shelving, still the cheaper plastic hot house type but the shelving makes it heavy and the winds don't phase it. I also have a 6x6 indoor tent with a 4 bulb T5 and 2 monster size CFL's. The growth indoors versus out does not even compare, T5's are amazing! Have to thank my bro for giving me that fixture.

I am hoping I didn't bite off more than I can chew being it's my first real season growing super hots mainly. I plan to sell some plants along the way to help fund my pepper growing addiction
icon_smile.gif
My log will be pretty picture heavy which I am sure most will not mind! Enjoy and happy pepper growing to everyone!!
dancingpepper.gif

My grow list (Still need to add, started some more trays after creating this list and haven't had time to update)

"CLUBBED" SCOTCH BONNET (rec'd in trade from canada, this is the shape he explained thus the name)
7 POT PRIMO
7 POD BURGUNDY
7 POT BARRACKPORE
7 POT BROWN
7 POT JONAH BUTCH T
7 POT MOROUGA YELLOW
7 POT ORANGE
7 POT RED
7 POT YELLOW
7 POT YELLOW LARGE
AJI JOE CHOCOLATE HAND GRENADE
AJI LIMON
AJI UMBA
ANCHO MULATO
ARBOL
ARIBIBI GUSANO
BEAVER DAM
BENI HIGHLANDS
BETH MYSTERY PACK
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA INDIAN CARBON
BHUT JOLOKIA PURPLE
BIG JIM
BIKER BILLY
BIQUINHO
BIRGITS LOCOTO
BLACK NAGA JOLOKIA
BRAIN STRAIN
BRAIN STRAIN SR
CANTINA YELLOW
CARRIBEAN RED
CASCABELLA
CAYENNE GOLDEN
CHAPAEU DE FRADE
CHOCOLATE BHUT JOLOKIA
CHOCOLATE HABANERO
CHOCOLATE SCOTCH BONNET
CHOCOLATE T.S.
CONGO BLACK
CONGO RED
COSTENNO AMARILLO
DATIL
DOUGHLAH
DOUGHLAH X BUTCH T
EARBOB PI59272
EL ORO DE EQUADOR
FATALLI
GIANT JALAPENO
GRENADA YELLOW SEASONING
GUYANA PI199506
GUERRITO
HABANERO BIG SUN
HAROLD ST BARTS
HOT HUNGARIAN
INFINITY
JAMAICAN YELLOW
JIMMY NARDELLO
LIGHTNING MIX
MADAME JEANETTE
MANZANO RED
MANZANO AMARILLO
MANZANO ORANGE
MARCONI ROSSO
MOROUGA YELLOW
MYSTERY
NAGA MORICH
NAGABON
NUMEX SANDIA
NUMEX TWILIGHT
ORANGE THAI
PADRON
PEACH BHUT JOLOKIA
PEACH HABALOKIA
PEACH LANTERN
PEACH SCORPANERO
PERUVIAN GOLD
PINK HABANERO
PURPLE BHUT JOLOKIA
QUEEN LAURIE PI1281405
RED FATALLI
RED HABANERO
RED ROCOTO
RED SAVINA
SANTAKA ASIAN
SCOTCH BONNET
SUPERHOT SURPRISE
SUPREME MIX
SURINAME HABANERO
T.S. BUTCH T
T.S. MOROUGA
TOBAGO SCOTCH BONNET
TRINIDAD BEAN
TRINIDAD MOROVAS
TRINIDAD SCORPION
TRINIDAD SEASONING
TRINIDAD SWEET CHERRY
WHIT 7 POD
YELLOW HABALOKIA
YELLOW 7 POT LRG
YELLOW 7 POT X ?
YELLOW BHUT JOLOKIA
YELLOW BRAIN STRAIN
YELLOW T.S.

MY CHOCOLATE HAB IS LOADED WITH FLOWERS!
IMG_2779.jpg

IMG_2777.jpg

RED HABANERO
IMG_2787.jpg

Finally a new update! Loving it! Looks like you kept them safe through our storms just fine...great job on the site prep to!

Finally a new update! Loving it! Looks like you kept them safe through our storms just fine...great job on the site prep to!

Thanks Shane, that storm sucked! I was worried for my tents with the winds, they got pretty crazy! Lost a few plants from falling to their demise. My brother was down Sunday and helped unload the dirt, we tilled it in right before the rain came. It was perfect timing, I didn't have to waste any of my own water! lol.

I have a feeling we will get a couple more rain storms before it finally warms up for good.

BTW, anyone ever tell you that ur a GLOG whore?? Always at the top!! lol :P

Very cool. I love that you are planting them in front of the house.

Thanks! You can come get the two plants you wanted whenever you like. :) My driveway slopes down so this planter is all the way at the top, away from the street where people may feel inclined to steal a pepper! lol

Nice update! Planters are looking great. That one is the back is huge! How many plants do you think you can fit in there? Oh and how many hours of sunlight a day does that front planter get? Keep up the awesome grow!

Nice update! Planters are looking great. That one is the back is huge! How many plants do you think you can fit in there? Oh and how many hours of sunlight a day does that front planter get? Keep up the awesome grow!

Thanks BeeHunter!! :) The back planter is huge, not sure how many plants I can fit yet. I need to really plan this out right! Oh and the front planter gets a solid 6-8 hours of sun. It gets really hot here in Corona, so the little shade they get in the afternoon should really help.

Wow,
Your plants are really looking good, they'll love that "cali sunshine" when it comes about.
I like the flowers on the strawberry plants. Mine are starting to grow invasive and I need to divide and pot some up to sell. There's nothing like a morning dew, fresh picked strawberry.
I'll have to follow this grow, you seem to have plenty of ample room for a very spacious garden! Good look with your outdoor plantings

Greg

Wow,
Your plants are really looking good, they'll love that "cali sunshine" when it comes about.
I like the flowers on the strawberry plants. Mine are starting to grow invasive and I need to divide and pot some up to sell. There's nothing like a morning dew, fresh picked strawberry.
I'll have to follow this grow, you seem to have plenty of ample room for a very spacious garden! Good look with your outdoor plantings

Greg

Thanks Greg, means a lot coming from a pro grower like yourself!! I actually have those strawberries in a kiddie pool so they don't get too invasive in my yard. But nothing beats a fresh picked strawberry, you got that right!

Melissa :)

Wow, very impressive grow, Melissa!!! You are going to give all these boys around here a run for their money. :lol:

I tried several years to grow strawberries in containers, but our winters are just too cold, and they never came back. Finally put some in the ground, and they overwintered just fine, but no worries of them taking over. What's funny is the little ones will sneak the ripe strawberries off the plants, thinking they are getting away with something. Joke's on them though, since I just got them to eat their fruit without asking. Though it would be nice if I could get enough ripe ones to make some strawberry rhubarb jam. Another kid friendly fruit is the ground cherry (Physalis pruinosa), which is related to the tomatillo. My kids love looking for the ones that have fallen on the ground, and peeling the little paper husk off. I've tried making jam, or pies out of them, but the kids like them best fresh. I also have a couple of Reliance grapevines which the kids really like, but the wasps go crazy for them once the fruit is ripe, so they don't tend to sneak those.

Is your large bed in the backyard sloped? I can't tell from the picture.

I saw your post about the pepper plant spacing. My veggie bed is very small, and I grow a lot of other stuff too, so I have to pack them in pretty tight, probably 15" - 18" apart. The ones that get really big, I have to grow in containers, or down at my plot at the community garden. They produce just fine with that spacing, though I eventually have to stake them to keep them from leaning on their neighbors. Being planted so close together seems to protect them a bit from the strong winds we get here. Oh, and BTW, my vegetable garden is in the front yard. Here's a picture of my 60 sq.ft. veggie jungle.

VeggieBed8-19-11.jpg

You probably can't tell, but the peppers are behind the row of basil, and in front of the tomatoes.

Good luck with your grow!

Bonnie

Great update Melissa! Those plants look super healthy.

Wow, very impressive grow, Melissa!!! You are going to give all these boys around here a run for their money. :lol:

I tried several years to grow strawberries in containers, but our winters are just too cold, and they never came back. Finally put some in the ground, and they overwintered just fine, but no worries of them taking over. What's funny is the little ones will sneak the ripe strawberries off the plants, thinking they are getting away with something. Joke's on them though, since I just got them to eat their fruit without asking. Though it would be nice if I could get enough ripe ones to make some strawberry rhubarb jam. Another kid friendly fruit is the ground cherry (Physalis pruinosa), which is related to the tomatillo. My kids love looking for the ones that have fallen on the ground, and peeling the little paper husk off. I've tried making jam, or pies out of them, but the kids like them best fresh. I also have a couple of Reliance grapevines which the kids really like, but the wasps go crazy for them once the fruit is ripe, so they don't tend to sneak those.

Is your large bed in the backyard sloped? I can't tell from the picture.

I saw your post about the pepper plant spacing. My veggie bed is very small, and I grow a lot of other stuff too, so I have to pack them in pretty tight, probably 15" - 18" apart. The ones that get really big, I have to grow in containers, or down at my plot at the community garden. They produce just fine with that spacing, though I eventually have to stake them to keep them from leaning on their neighbors. Being planted so close together seems to protect them a bit from the strong winds we get here. Oh, and BTW, my vegetable garden is in the front yard. Here's a picture of my 60 sq.ft. veggie jungle.

VeggieBed8-19-11.jpg

You probably can't tell, but the peppers are behind the row of basil, and in front of the tomatoes.

Good luck with your grow!

Bonnie

Hi Bonnie!

Thanks for stopping by my grow log and for your very detailed response! :) I fully intend to give these boys a run for their money! lol. No really, I am the gardener in the family and my hubby got me started by asking for Bhut Jolokias. It was all over when I met Smokemaster, turned me in to a chile head! I have always loved chiles, but had no idea just how many different varieties are out there. Looking forward to growing so many different peppers this year, and can you believe this is only my 2nd year gardening? My grandpa would be so proud if he were still alive, I like to think he passed on to my brother and I his green thumb :)

Last year was the first time I grew strawberries, just moving in to our home my ground was not all that great so most everything was in pots. It is very rare to get frost here and even then it doesn't go below 30 so they did just fine through the winter. My daughter LOVED picking strawberries, but there is just never enough ripe huh? I am going to get a second kiddie pool going in hopes that next year I have an abundance of strawberries, fresh jam would be great! :) I just recently bought different varieties of strawberry seeds, in my fridge getting some cold treatment for the next two months. Thanks for the tip on the ground cherries, I was looking at them recently and wasn't too sure if the kiddos would like them, but now I think I should go ahead and try them out. I have a thornless blackberry from last year that I just transferred from a 5ga pot to the ground, it's all the way at the back of the fence in my large bed. Probably won't fruit till next year though. Also have a Perlette grape that needs to go in the ground and a Pink Lady apple tree. I have that in a pot and I got about 20 apples off it last year, the girls loved them!

I hope to grow as many edibles in my yard as possible, with the most room dedicated to peppers. I want to avoid grocery produce all together but I am being realistic here, at least until I get a farm of my own! :)

The large bed is not on a slope, but my entire yard kinda slopes downward if that makes sense? The planter is leveled though, tilled about 3-4 feet down. My ground was rock hard this time last year, now it is super soft and full of worms! I can't wait to see how things progress this year :)

Bonnie your veggie bed looks beautiful! I was thinking of companion planting with Basil, I have been reading it helps with pests? Is that purple ruffle basil in front? I hope I can make my front planter look as nice, but I doubt it! lol

Take care and best of luck to you this season! ;)
Melissa

You have a great grow log here,Melissa! Your garden beds just look awesome!
You obviously have the knack for growing!

You have a great grow log here,Melissa! Your garden beds just look awesome!
You obviously have the knack for growing!

Thanks Paul, same goes for you! I haven't even tackled cloning or grafting, big thumbs up to you! :) I swear if I could own a farm I would be perfectly content gardening for a living, doesn't even have to be a good living either! lol. I think I have watched too many documentaries lately, if I could be a fully sustainable farmer I would! One day I will get that farm, for now I will have to make due with the space I have, which isn't too shabby!

Thanks Paul, same goes for you! I haven't even tackled cloning or grafting, big thumbs up to you! :) I swear if I could own a farm I would be perfectly content gardening for a living, doesn't even have to be a good living either! lol. I think I have watched too many documentaries lately, if I could be a fully sustainable farmer I would! One day I will get that farm, for now I will have to make due with the space I have, which isn't too shabby!

I'm with you. I come from a line of farm folk, and I think it is just in the genes. I sometimes think I missed my calling. I'd love to have a farm size plot to mess with - but that duty will have to fall to someone like you! I hope you can find your dream!

The cloning just started as kind of a goofy side trip, and kind of took on a life of it's own! it's really a no-brainer. With your skills, it will be a slam dunk!

I'm with you. I come from a line of farm folk, and I think it is just in the genes. I sometimes think I missed my calling. I'd love to have a farm size plot to mess with - but that duty will have to fall to someone like you! I hope you can find your dream!

The cloning just started as kind of a goofy side trip, and kind of took on a life of it's own! it's really a no-brainer. With your skills, it will be a slam dunk!

Thanks Paul! I wish I realized much sooner, only my 2nd year! My oldest brother has always grown edibles and prior to owning my home in 2010, I had no interest. Better late than never and I can be pretty ambitious, when I want something bad enough I work really hard to attain it. Lets hope I can keep this dream alive :)

I plan to tackle cloning some time this year, be ready for lots of questions! :)

Thanks for stopping by again! ;)

Got 150 acres in TX waiting for me when I retire...woot! As for your strawberries, They don't produce very well their first year. You should have a bumper crop this time around! Keeping them in a kiddie pool is a great idea because given enough water(which really isn't much) strawberries can really take over a yard.

Ok guys/gals time for another update! I have been busting my butt in the garden every day and I feel like I never make a dent in what needs to be accomplished! But I got a whole lot of stuff in the ground, problem is my greenhouses are still bursting with plants! Man I have my work cut out for me! :hell:

TOTAL PLANTS IN GROUND AS OF 4/5: 65

Front yard planter, have to keep the weed block on until they fill in so the cats are not tempted to use it as a litter box!
dff3e4a6.jpg

Another planter I have in my backyard, grew tomatoes in it last year and they turned in to beasts. This year I am keeping tomatoes in 15 gal pots so I can control them better.
040f1661.jpg

f6dd7fc2.jpg

My large planter in the backyard,
1139dff4.jpg

884f3f5e.jpg

Greenhouse bursting at the rims! lol
96eb85e8.jpg

4d41b0bb.jpg

e4167845.jpg

My red Manzanos are growing like weeds!!
6a7d2b4f.jpg

Mystery plant, with all these flowers about to burst open it shouldn't be long before I can try and figure out what it is. Came from dried pods sent by Smokemaster.
b1e93b0f.jpg

Some of my maters ;)
http://i1097.photobu...54/2f4a9577.jpg
http://i1097.photobu...54/37e369f8.jpg

Thanks for the tip on the ground cherries, I was looking at them recently and wasn't too sure if the kiddos would like them, but now I think I should go ahead and try them out.
We have a small community garden here, and one of my neighbors put in some husk cherries. The kids do love them, but they spread like tomatillos. Any that don't get eaten leave seeds that will come up again next year, and they tend to move around a bit. The New England winter doesn't seem to bother them either...

We have a small community garden here, and one of my neighbors put in some husk cherries. The kids do love them, but they spread like tomatillos. Any that don't get eaten leave seeds that will come up again next year, and they tend to move around a bit. The New England winter doesn't seem to bother them either...

Thanks for the info Stickman :) My brother actually bought seeds last year and never planted them, so this year he is starting some. Maybe I will try growing it in a large pot? I had Purple Tomatillos growing last year and man do they get huge! No tomatillos for me this year, too much work for me!

Back