• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Melissa77754 2012 Glog

Hey Everyone
icon_smile.gif

So I figured it is about time I start a Grow log of my own and I will do my very best to keep it up to date. With two kiddos and a massive amount of plants my days can be pretty hectic. I grew jalapenos and serranos last season, had a decent harvest considering the small pot size I used. In July I met a nice lady giving away hot pepper seeds to newbies on GW, decided to give them a try, August met Smokemaster through a generous SASBE offer and the rest is history!! lol

I started a batch in late August so I have some "overwinters" if you will, living in SoCal I can grow year round with the right protection from time to time. I started out with a cheap 12'x7' hoop house and when the winds thrashed that I bought two 6x8 with shelving, still the cheaper plastic hot house type but the shelving makes it heavy and the winds don't phase it. I also have a 6x6 indoor tent with a 4 bulb T5 and 2 monster size CFL's. The growth indoors versus out does not even compare, T5's are amazing! Have to thank my bro for giving me that fixture.

I am hoping I didn't bite off more than I can chew being it's my first real season growing super hots mainly. I plan to sell some plants along the way to help fund my pepper growing addiction
icon_smile.gif
My log will be pretty picture heavy which I am sure most will not mind! Enjoy and happy pepper growing to everyone!!
dancingpepper.gif

My grow list (Still need to add, started some more trays after creating this list and haven't had time to update)

"CLUBBED" SCOTCH BONNET (rec'd in trade from canada, this is the shape he explained thus the name)
7 POT PRIMO
7 POD BURGUNDY
7 POT BARRACKPORE
7 POT BROWN
7 POT JONAH BUTCH T
7 POT MOROUGA YELLOW
7 POT ORANGE
7 POT RED
7 POT YELLOW
7 POT YELLOW LARGE
AJI JOE CHOCOLATE HAND GRENADE
AJI LIMON
AJI UMBA
ANCHO MULATO
ARBOL
ARIBIBI GUSANO
BEAVER DAM
BENI HIGHLANDS
BETH MYSTERY PACK
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA INDIAN CARBON
BHUT JOLOKIA PURPLE
BIG JIM
BIKER BILLY
BIQUINHO
BIRGITS LOCOTO
BLACK NAGA JOLOKIA
BRAIN STRAIN
BRAIN STRAIN SR
CANTINA YELLOW
CARRIBEAN RED
CASCABELLA
CAYENNE GOLDEN
CHAPAEU DE FRADE
CHOCOLATE BHUT JOLOKIA
CHOCOLATE HABANERO
CHOCOLATE SCOTCH BONNET
CHOCOLATE T.S.
CONGO BLACK
CONGO RED
COSTENNO AMARILLO
DATIL
DOUGHLAH
DOUGHLAH X BUTCH T
EARBOB PI59272
EL ORO DE EQUADOR
FATALLI
GIANT JALAPENO
GRENADA YELLOW SEASONING
GUYANA PI199506
GUERRITO
HABANERO BIG SUN
HAROLD ST BARTS
HOT HUNGARIAN
INFINITY
JAMAICAN YELLOW
JIMMY NARDELLO
LIGHTNING MIX
MADAME JEANETTE
MANZANO RED
MANZANO AMARILLO
MANZANO ORANGE
MARCONI ROSSO
MOROUGA YELLOW
MYSTERY
NAGA MORICH
NAGABON
NUMEX SANDIA
NUMEX TWILIGHT
ORANGE THAI
PADRON
PEACH BHUT JOLOKIA
PEACH HABALOKIA
PEACH LANTERN
PEACH SCORPANERO
PERUVIAN GOLD
PINK HABANERO
PURPLE BHUT JOLOKIA
QUEEN LAURIE PI1281405
RED FATALLI
RED HABANERO
RED ROCOTO
RED SAVINA
SANTAKA ASIAN
SCOTCH BONNET
SUPERHOT SURPRISE
SUPREME MIX
SURINAME HABANERO
T.S. BUTCH T
T.S. MOROUGA
TOBAGO SCOTCH BONNET
TRINIDAD BEAN
TRINIDAD MOROVAS
TRINIDAD SCORPION
TRINIDAD SEASONING
TRINIDAD SWEET CHERRY
WHIT 7 POD
YELLOW HABALOKIA
YELLOW 7 POT LRG
YELLOW 7 POT X ?
YELLOW BHUT JOLOKIA
YELLOW BRAIN STRAIN
YELLOW T.S.

MY CHOCOLATE HAB IS LOADED WITH FLOWERS!
IMG_2779.jpg

IMG_2777.jpg

RED HABANERO
IMG_2787.jpg

Great update! I tried to find one thing that I like the best to comment on, but everything looks so good! Have you considered leaving the weed cloth in place to keep weeding down?

Also, I love that backyard plot, wait until they are 5 foot bushes and you have to fight your way through!

Keep the photos and updates coming!

Great update! I tried to find one thing that I like the best to comment on, but everything looks so good! Have you considered leaving the weed cloth in place to keep weeding down?

Also, I love that backyard plot, wait until they are 5 foot bushes and you have to fight your way through!

Keep the photos and updates coming!

I thought about keeping the weed block on,but I am not liking the way it looks? Maybe when they bush out and fill in it won't look so bad to me. I can't wait for these guys to turn in to huge bushes! I still have about half of that plot to plant in. But we have this huge tree in my backyard that needs to be trimmed this weekend, I think I will wait until that is done. If the hubby or anyone else damaged a plant while cutting down branches from that tree I think I would have a heart attack, and then someone would have to payyyyyy for it!! lol

Thanks for stopping by my Glog! :)

Your garden spaces are really top notch, Melissa.
I really like the bed behind the rock wall; classy!
You may have a late start as a gardner, but you
are really making up for lost time! You are going
to have to hire some harvest help come late summer!!

Every time I visit you have more plants! Lol...great looking gardens you got there. Should be a bumper crop this year. I still have a couple under lights because they grow a bit faster inside with the warmer night time temps...but it won't be long and they'll all be outside. Ahhhhhhh. Finally some BA Cali weather for us! Gonna have to work out some pod trades later in the season.

Looking forward to your next update,
Shane

Your garden spaces are really top notch, Melissa.
I really like the bed behind the rock wall; classy!
You may have a late start as a gardner, but you
are really making up for lost time! You are going
to have to hire some harvest help come late summer!!

Thanks so much Paul, really means alot! I am lucky to have had such a great teacher like my older brother, he made me appreciate growing my own edibles that much more. Now I take pride in gardening, it is not just a hobby anymore! :)

I think you are right about hiring help come summer. BUT I have an idea already, my 18yr old cousin whom I use to babysit wants to come stay with me for a few weeks during the summer, you better believe I will put his butt to work!! lol., He is like a little brother to me, his parents were in the navy and my mom kept him for a 6 month tour, he was attached to my hip at 13! :) I told him what I am growing and he was super excited, I think its a macho thing! haha.

Thanks for always stopping by my grow log with encouraging words ;)

Every time I visit you have more plants! Lol...great looking gardens you got there. Should be a bumper crop this year. I still have a couple under lights because they grow a bit faster inside with the warmer night time temps...but it won't be long and they'll all be outside. Ahhhhhhh. Finally some BA Cali weather for us! Gonna have to work out some pod trades later in the season.

Looking forward to your next update,
Shane

Shane I don't have more plants, they are just getting bigger!! lol :)

I have about 10 inside still, 3 of them are my purple bhuts and the thought of cutting them off of my T5's is a little scary at the moment! They do grow so much better inside, I wish my brother would have gave me that T5 longggggg ago!! :)

Pod trades will be a must my friend, I want one of those mucho nachos! :) A cantina yellow has your name all over it regardless, it's already starting to flower too!

Thanks for stopping by! :)

"BUT I have an idea already, my 18yr old cousin whom I use to babysit wants to come stay with me for a few weeks during the summer, you better believe I will put his butt to work!!"

Excellent strategy! And inexpensive!

Pod trades will be a must my friend, I want one of those mucho nachos! :) A cantina yellow has your name all over it regardless, it's already starting to flower too!
I will gladly send you some Mucho Nacho pods once I get a bunch...along with a few seeds. They are a hybrid and won't grow true from harvested seeds. Can't wait for the Cantina Yellow!

Looking good Melissa. That greenhouse is bangin' just wait until they are all flowering and filled with pods! You'll be as giddy as a school girl...outfit optinal. Grow big or go home!

Some times I like to bring my laptop into the garden and pretend I'm Martha Stewert..... prune my plants and make insider trades....shhhhh dont tell anyone, you'll ruin it.

Great looking garden and plants Melissa.

Lots of new pepper brands for me, didn't even knew some of them exist until I saw your glog :D

Keep up the updates and the photos :)

Wow Melissa,
You sure do have a "green thumb!"....or two
I like the adequate space you have for the garden plot.
Will you shore up soil around those plants? Maybe hill up some widerows with a hoe, lowering a path or walkway.
Nice Red Manzano plant. I have the Yellow "Perrins" Manzano...its very apple/pear like in flavor, with verying heat levels between pods.
Good luck with your plantout

Greg

Looking good Melissa. That greenhouse is bangin' just wait until they are all flowering and filled with pods! You'll be as giddy as a school girl...outfit optinal. Grow big or go home!

Some times I like to bring my laptop into the garden and pretend I'm Martha Stewert..... prune my plants and make insider trades....shhhhh dont tell anyone, you'll ruin it.

LOL! 3/5 you crack me up!! Grow big or go home is right bud!! :)

Wow Melissa,
You sure do have a "green thumb!"....or two
I like the adequate space you have for the garden plot.
Will you shore up soil around those plants? Maybe hill up some widerows with a hoe, lowering a path or walkway.
Nice Red Manzano plant. I have the Yellow "Perrins" Manzano...its very apple/pear like in flavor, with verying heat levels between pods.
Good luck with your plantout

Greg

Once the plants get larger I plan to mound up the soil around them, probably should have done that to start, live and learn huh? I do all this by myself, lots of work for one girl! But if I wait till the weekends when hubby is off work stuff will never get done!

I have a yellow manzano as well, came from smokemaster seeds. Has about 10 pods set and growing very slow, can't wait to try my first home grown manzano!

Can anyone tell me what species of pepper this is based on the flower? It's a mystery plant grown from mixed dried pods from Smokemaster.

735c67ef.jpg

6fd2f9e4.jpg

As you can see it is loaded with flowers!
2411c83e.jpg

Hi Melissa,

After viewing your log, I am impressed by your effort and passion, that always inspires. There are many here who already have with their willingness to share ideas, seeds, etc... I liked the "Fuzzy baby manzano" in one of your earlier posts as well. To have such a full life with young kids and still have time to put this amount of effort into your passion is inspiring to watch. Keep it up, who knows where it will lead someday. If you do what you love you can never go wrong, eh ?

Keep the pics and stories about family and THP members coming, I will be watching. BTW, have you ever heard of this grow medium ? Vital Earth's organic Manna Mix ? I thought I would try it with some young and mature pepper plants and give feedback, it seems to have lots of the ingredients you mention while reading you glog. Only time will tell for sure.

Ghosty... :cool:

Hi Melissa,

After viewing your log, I am impressed by your effort and passion, that always inspires. There are many here who already have with their willingness to share ideas, seeds, etc... I liked the "Fuzzy baby manzano" in one of your earlier posts as well. To have such a full life with young kids and still have time to put this amount of effort into your passion is inspiring to watch. Keep it up, who knows where it will lead someday. If you do what you love you can never go wrong, eh ?

Keep the pics and stories about family and THP members coming, I will be watching. BTW, have you ever heard of this grow medium ? Vital Earth's organic Manna Mix ? I thought I would try it with some young and mature pepper plants and give feedback, it seems to have lots of the ingredients you mention while reading you glog. Only time will tell for sure.

Ghosty... :cool:

Thanks for the kind words Ghosty, I really appreciate it! ;)

When I put my mind to something that I am really passionate about, there is usually nothing that can get in my way! It can be very challenging with two little ones, but somehow I push forward and make it happen. When the hubby gets home from work out to the yard I go, until sundown. During my girls two hour naps (on a good day!) I am out doing whatever I can. Sometimes I will take them out with me because they have a swing set and love to play with dirt and help momma, but it can be more work for me watching after them and making sure they are always being nice to eachother! lol. Very challenging, but so rewarding at the same time when I see my plants and how far they have come!

If I could eventually make a career out of gardening and raising my kids from home, why not? It may be a long ways away but if I have my way, I will make sure that happens! I contacted my local farmers market, want to sell some peppers, tomato, cucumber and anything else my older brother wants to throw in the mix. It's a lot of work for not so great of a return, but I would be enjoying almost every moment of it!

I have never heard of that grow medium, but doesn't sound bad. What I have learned with alot of organic soils is they tend to be a little heavy, but I lighten it up with Pro-Mix or Jiffy seed starting mix, fluffs up the soil nice.

Best of luck to you this season and thanks again for the kind words! :)

Melissa

Finally stopped in to see your pepper forest.

Very nice garden areas , not many weeds,uh I mean non pepper plants. :)

See you in a day or so.
Don't forget to bring your zips for more seeds...

Finally stopped in to see your pepper forest.

Very nice garden areas , not many weeds,uh I mean non pepper plants. :)

See you in a day or so.
Don't forget to bring your zips for more seeds...

Finally Smokesmaster graces me with his presence! :) Not too many non peppers smoke, but I am sure you won't mind some fresh tomato's and cukes later on in the season! :)

See ya soon!

finally we meet... again glad to see a local grower in my neck of the woods, so now i dont have to rely on Ebay and get some random pods.. im scared to transplant these guys in the ground as last years crops were consumed by GRUBS... since going on THP.. ive definately tripled my interest in growing peppers. feel bad for my other plants as some never made it to the ground due to my focus with the peppers... summers just around the corner and you are about 45 mins aways from me.. ill be that one person that goes close enough to raid your plants.. i mean.. ill go there with the others and will help you harvest... today i started my 16/8 hope to get better results...thanks for getting me started with the live plants and ill give others heads up if you have other plants to sell..

denniz

Back