• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Oddest type of meat that you enjoy eating.

bentalphanerd said:
delicious :shocked: {rant to follow}

you do know what they need to do to an animal to 'produce' veal...i mean the modern way of feeding it painkillers & antibiotics so it wont feel its own leg bones breaking beneath it. I say feel because it cant see, it's been chained in a standing position since birth in the dark (sunlight may toughen the meat) for as long as the drugs & feeding slush of hormones can sustain it.
They try to chew the nails out of the stall not to be free, but to get some iron in their diet (that too may toughen the meat)

Traditional veal is a 3 month old calf...through deprivation of movement, sunlight, real food & a cocktail of drugs modern 'intelligent' humans can now stretch this out to 3 years of unimaginable torture.

its sick

{rant ended}
Never heard of such a case, and I know people that grow them. I do know laws against those "treatments" exist.

get on your google its hard to miss.

anyway, snake however...very light, tasty meat. dont know why its not commonly available....or even a signature dish of some talented chef. Honestly i think the flavour of potatoes would overpower it...yet its gamy.

bentalphanerd said:
get on your google its hard to miss.

anyway, snake however...very light, tasty meat. dont know why its not commonly available....or even a signature dish of some talented chef. Honestly i think the flavour of potatoes would overpower it...yet its gamy.
Never heard of such a case here.
Force feeding, unnecessary drugs, too much antibiotics and many other things are illegal here.

Philipperv said:
Depends on the way it is cooked but I would say that it is more like beef. Ate fried worms and grasshoppers in Bangkok and all I tasted was the dirty oil they were cooked in.

Sounds cool. I was honestly just curious.:)

Ive always been fond of "Ox tail soup" my grandmother used to make it for me & Id sit there sucking all the bits of grissel & stuff out from all the nooks & crannys!

Philipperv said:
Spoken by a true vegetarian. PETA would be proud. ;)

I don't like being cruel, but I do realize that chickens and other animals aren't exactly raised in the best of conditions either. However, I still eat it all. Me personally my dream is to become as self reliant as possible. My wifes dream place as well as mine is a nice chunk of land. Say about 40 acres. (We're actually saving for it in about 10 years.) Beef.....who needs it shoot deer, vegetables and peppers....grow a ton of what you need, blanch/freeze, can, and dry. Raising a pig and a ton of chickens and some cute little rabbits for food sounds good as well. I already told my wife when this happens don't start calling the pig names unless she wants to name her bacon, chops, ect:lol:

NatGreenMeds said:
Hey, dog is a very versatile food!

A little meatloaf, all you need is a couple pounds of ground hound.

Eating by yourself tonight? Stuffed Chiuaua.

Having family and guests? St. Bernard. Four drumsticks!

On a diet? Greyhound.

Want Spanish food tonight? Cocker Spaniel.

Something at the game? Daschund puppy on a bun!

Please remove the zero's before serving.
LMAO...TO funny!!:lol::lol:

"most" veal ia just calfs put to slaughter before weining. I'm not saying the cruel stuff dosn't happen but its a bit hyped in my opinion. And Omri don't be suprised if even in Israil some veal is pork... Dodgy butchers exist everywhere and some are even jewish lol.

stillmanz said:
"most" veal ia just calfs put to slaughter before weining. I'm not saying the cruel stuff dosn't happen but its a bit hyped in my opinion. And Omri don't be suprised if even in Israil some veal is pork... Dodgy butchers exist everywhere and some are even jewish lol.
Pork actually costs more here, it's relatively hard to find.
The veal here is veal, at least where I get mine.

stillmanz said:

I agree with you on that one, also my Grandpa said they used to pass off horse meat as beef when he was a kid during world war II over here. It happens everywhere, that's why I also process my own venison when I harvest a deer. I'm sure some is kept, resold as venison sausage, and I'd be willing to bet that from a butcher someone elses deer is probably mixed in with yours. Meats meat, but I don't want someone elses deer. ESPECIALLY if they didn't take care of it properly before hand. However, I'd be willing to be most veal is just veal though. In order to be veal it just has to be a baby slaughtered calf and honestly I think most meat suppliers aren't going to even go through the time of chaining a calf. However, it does happen and I realize not all chickens, and pigs are raised in the best of environments either. Here's the way I look at it though. If there going to kill it it may as well be eaten:twisted::lol: Personally I prefer hunting and I do find it ironic when people eat meat and are against hunting. (I've met them a few times.) The way I look at it. It's natural, leaner, doesn't have all of the hormones and crap in it. Also, up until the animal dies it runs free.

the thing is we most of us anyhow live in 1st world countries so we have been spoilt in a culinary sense. I'm getting more opened minded with food as I get older, and with the state of food resources in the world its probably a good thing. I'm particuliarly interested in Calabrian food at the moment..

stillmanz said:
Does Oz supply much of israils lamb abd Goat just curiously?
All raw meat here is local. slaughtered according to the laws of kashroot ("kosherness").

Back