• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Oddest type of meat that you enjoy eating.

Armadillos have been known to carry the bacterium associated with human leprosy (Mycobacterium leprae), but there has been no conclusive evidence that human beings can contract leprosy from contact with armadillos. The Field Manual of Wildlife Diseases in the Southeastern United States states:

...Whether humans can contract infection (leprosy) from armadillos is debatable, although case histories suggest that a few occurrences of leprosy among armadillo handlers in Texas may have been acquired during many years of catching, handling, skinning, and eating armadillos. A widely accepted hypothesis is that the organism exists in the soil in certain regions, especially Louisiana and coastal Texas, and that both armadillos and humans contract infection from this environmental source.

well there not "odd" but I'll eat deer, geese, duck, pheasent, wild turkey, lamb, squid, octopus, gator, scallops, lobster :drooling: & couple types of fish. had liver by accident thinking it was beef & onions :lol: tasted good.

rabbit - as for the deer heart, it does look like a nice chunk of meat I was gonna try it couple years ago but gave it to the dog instead. but I'll try it on the next deer if I dont shoot the heart out.

as for people that eat meat but are against hunting, what can ya say other than they're just idiots! my niece once said to me that she's against killing animals (hunting) & I said what about that chicken your eating, she said "thats different" :rolleyes:
I laughed at her & said you're dumb (in a jokingly way) :lol: she didnt know what else to say.

as for eating dog, sure serve it up I'd eat it & horse too! its just meat/steaks.

only thing I really wouldn't eat is those "preserved/fermented" weird foods like fermented shark from Finland or were ever or "true" jugged hair. thats the sort of food you get on your hands and can't get the stink out... like a rotten potatoe.

Gold fish is good, Pigeon taste great, Tripe is goodish, Grubs are ok but I don't like the pop they make when you bite them. Flies and Maggots have no real taste. and the Worms tasted a bit like mud. chocolate covered Grasshoppers were crunchy but good. I think that is it.

But eating a Gold fish is like eating my dog to me. I had two as a kid, names being/been Billy Beef Burger and Freddy Fish Finger, (inventive of me I know). You can't get much meat off them surely? I mean I'd quite happily eat a fish out of the river down the road because I don't know it.

* Second thoughts I would not touch anything out of the river down the road, there used to be some kind of chemical factory right next to it, I'd probably glow in the dark if I ate anything out of there*

heck RB, I have eaten bream (perch) smaller than some goldfish and they are delicious

anywhere from two fingers up to about 2 pounds normally...you just cut the head off, gut them, roll them in corn meal and drop them in the deep fat fryer until they float...the meat comes off the bones very easily and I love eating the crispy fried tail and fins...

My Goldfish were about 7-8 inches long (including tail) but they ended up in a neighbours pond and it was hard to tell 'who was who', I'm sure my two were the ones that changed colour from Gold to white though :confused: I'm just happy Billy Beef Burger and Freddy Fish Finger didn't end up in the deep fat fryer (having visions of him covered in breadcrumbs now). Once something's got a name, you don't eat it.

it's hard for me to stick with the "once its got a name" since I grew up on a farm in southern Mississippi...all the farm animals besides the old mule was food stuffs in my grandfather and grandmothers world...

I was talking about the little GF the kind that you can gulp down with ine bite. We would win them at the fair and they would pay me 10 bucks a piece to them yummy. when they are small there easier to eat the bones.

thats not cuisine VTPEPPER thats just a dare like eating a ciggerrette but for a free pint lol... as whole "carp" speices are a bit too boney you can eat them but they alot of work.

but I like them and now get some every time I go to pet store as well as eating the bait when we go ice fishing. It started as a bet and now I just do it cause it taste good and fish is good for you.

i love squid ,muskrat and coon are really good meats also , i had a chance to eat a opossum once but turned it down , i like the wild foods that the earth gives us as uncle ted would say it is all organic .... :drooling::drooling:

Back