• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Oddest type of meat that you enjoy eating.

Here in the UK it's a bit awkward to get 'weird' meats
but i'll try anything once, growing up on a farm as a kid helps you see things differently when it comes meat.
There are some things out there that are just fantastic like a really good quality haggis (butcher made not supermarket stuff) and black pudding,
And goat is good but hard to come by in most parts of the country unless there is a big caribbean community, and after wanting to try it for ages i found i little shop near the site (building) that i'm working on at the mo.
So in the end nothing to weird here in britain.

rainbowberry said:
My brother loves Black Pudding, I've never tried it because the fatty lumps put me off.

I ain't a lover of fat or gristle either, but you can't really notice it in a good black pudding.
You can't beat a good sunday morning fry up (or grill up it's healthier!) after a saturday night but it has to have haggis and black pudding.

oh wait a minute i've got two for the weird list

scotch pie and a forfar bridie!
(not weird to a whole nation but will bamboozle the rest of the world lol)

Davetaylor said:
scotch pie and a forfar bridie!
(not weird to a whole nation but will bamboozle the rest of the world lol)

Isn't a Scotch Pie like a mince pie and a Forfar Bridie like a Scottish "Cornish" pasty?

rainbowberry said:
Isn't a Scotch Pie like a mince pie and a Forfar Bridie like a Scottish "Cornish" pasty?

Yea a scotch pie as sort of like a mince pie but it's mutton and spices and a bridie is the same shape as a cornish pastie but theses no veg in it and the pastry is different.
And to get the best you need to get them from a good butcher as the mass produced ones are pretty rank

As said it's traditional mutton that is used,
but lots of people use beef now and i'd say most of if not all the entries in the world scotch pie championships will use beef.
I like a nice spicy mutton version very nice with a bit of chileman naga snakebite to dip it in.

Davetaylor said:
As said it's traditional mutton that is used,
but lots of people use beef now and i'd say most of if not all the entries in the world scotch pie championships will use beef.
I like a nice spicy mutton version very nice with a bit of chileman naga snakebite to dip it in.
Oh I'll use mutton, don't worry. I'm talking about the lard and milk.

NatGreenMeds said:
I get mine from my yard.

Nasty little buggers, but they make great BBQ.

A guy up the street from me got a five footer two days ago. His dog had it cornered on his front porch.

Yeah, they are really , really good. Anybody ever try the pygmy ones? They're really prolific here on the island, but i never tried to capture one to see how it'd taste.

NatGreenMeds said:
It was about 8 feet long, 18 inches at it's widest and had a head on it like a dragon.

A set of rattlers on it as thick as your wrist.

The Tanner wouldn't give him the meat. Said it was a side benefit of the job.

that size I'd have to see pictures to believe this, because a diamondback cant get that fat(the size you speak of is constrictor size) or have rattlers as thick as a mans wrist. lengthwise (8') yea but the rest I doubt.

as for the tanner, I would of went elsewhere & not do business with someone like that or skinned it myself.

thats fine, but human judgement can be wrong sometimes as to actual facts (in this case size) to get a rattle that size it would of had to have a VERY VERY GOOD diet nonstop & live MANY years (betting beyond 10-15 years & if that species even lives that long ?)
& if it was that big it would of been a record breaker, why no pictures ?

are you talking about 18" diameter or circumference ?

nat - I dont know how you can consider what I've said as being rude
I simply stated "I'd have to see pictures to believe this" & simply stated "human judgement can be wrong sometimes"
I'm not really calling you a lair BUT I wont believe it either unless proven otherwise, sorry.

& no you did not say "diameter" you said "at its widest" & that right there is a large constrictor size (pythons & boas) thats around 15'-20' or more in length to reach that kind of thickness which anacondas are the fattest/heavist snake (the size you speak of is bigger than a average size adult human torso)

& yea I looked up eastern diamondback rattlers over 7' is very rare, so if you killed a 8' diamondback with a 18" dia., which would make it probably 4 1/2' in circumference :shocked: dude thats bigger than the 2 species of snakes for world record of biggest snakes(retic & anaconda)

that supposedly sized rattler ya killed would of made world record & would of been far more worthy keeping than a measly record wild pig. & a money maker on your behalf just for having the snake dead or alive.

& wouldnt a rattle (tail) with a base the size of a adult human wrist be at least 1' in length maybe up to 2' ?

nat - ohhh jeez insults & feeling superior :rolleyes: how am I supposed to feel superior over you while just talking about sizes of snakes ?
1st yea I knew you didnt kill the snake but I still said you, out of some habit because I was talking to you. oops big F'ing deal, like you never typed something while meant to word it different.

questioning your claims is not being rude, unless you live your life like a dictatorship & what you say is it.

I dont even know how you can cope reading this THP forum, because theres plenty of rude people here by your standards.
- people questioning other peoples claims about the heat level of certain chiles & then saying what the others have said is a lie or asking for proof.

- people telling others what chilli is & how its made & is the only "true & correct way" :rolleyes:

- people saying buying chile seeds or pods on Ebay are a scam, even while theres members here that do sell on Ebay & legitimate items.

- & the friendly bashing remarks to each other some people make.

if I said I'm growing some thai chiles the size of a ? whippets tail or elephant trunk or some other huge chile, & then claim the SHU is around that of a bhut.
& if anyone disbelieves me, well thats down right rude I tell ya - rolleyes (cant have 5 smilies, so)

yea right people would be all over me & saying BS wheres your proof, lets see it. I know at least omri would :lol::P

An entire post about me... yay!
Even before you mentioned my name, I so knew where this is going. :lol:

Nat, he's actually right. I've seen some crazy and unbelievable things in my life and I know they're true, but if not and someone else would have told me without any proof, I wouldn't have believed him.
He's not calling you a liar, just saying it's not likely, so you need to prove it first.

well its not an entire post about you omri.I just know when it comes to chiles you'll question & ask for some proof for some peoples claims, which theres nothing wrong doing this & is not rude to do so. & omri I dont think your rude not even alittle (I had to say this just to let you know)

I wonder how all those people felt when "guinness world records" ask for actual proof to peopls claims.

chilehunter said:
well its not an entire post about you omri.I just know when it comes to chiles you'll question & ask for some proof for some peoples claims, which theres nothing wrong doing this & is not rude to do so.

I wonder how all those people felt when "guinness world records" ask for actual proof to peopls claims.
It is about me! it is!!! :cry:

Anyway... :lol:
People need to learn to back their claims. that simple.

NatGreenMeds said:
chilehunter, I'm new to this site. I haven't been here long enough to realize that open challenges to ones credibility were the norm.

Please excuse me for my outburst and I'll make sure to never again post anything at all that I can't back up with photos.

I really didn't think it was necessary. I stand corrected.

I'll remove the post that I have no photos to back up.

Nat
You can claim whatever you want, just don't expect people to believe you. they might, but they might not.
Not trying to offend you or anything. :)

theres no reason to delete the posts or the claims.
like omri said some people wont beleive somethings people say, & for this size of snake I'm one of those people, sorry.

Back