On Cutlery ...

miguelovic said:
Damnit Jamison, I saw that advert'd while ago and wanted one :D Nice buy, it's a beauty

Ah cool, haven't seen that before. I've heard of people using the core tube from HPS bulbs to hone blades :P

I think those are quartz.

miguelovic said:
Swap horror stories? :D

Twice now I've pulled two nice Henckels from a finished load in the dishwasher. And a cast iron pan another time...

Having rescued a few, I am certain several of my Warther knives are resting in the landfill encased in pizza boxes.  I have a couple family members who tend to toss the box without checking the contents.

Not the best pics, but here:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424599296.120329.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424599307.302490.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424599317.102006.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424599327.352072.jpg

and Old Hick's out cause he's got rust and i guess i need to learn how to maintain him ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424599380.029610.jpg

I'll take out all of the knives soon and do proper pics against white/black etc ...

My family knows that my knives are off limits. I have a butcher block for their knives and I keep a real good edge on those knives for them. Mine stay in their original boxes and or I have a plastic guard on the ones that are not in the boxes.

P.S. Joyner you need to step up to the plate and get at-least a quality chefs knife and a paring knife. :surprised:

SavinaRed said:
My family knows that my knives are off limits. I have a butcher block for their knives and I keep a real good edge on those knives for them. Mine stay in their original boxes and or I have a plastic guard on the ones that are not in the boxes.

P.S. Joyner you need to step up to the plate and get at-least a quality chefs knife and a paring knife. :surprised:
No kidding, all I have is a set of JA H.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
No kidding, all I have is a set of JA H.

That's what I roll with... the majority of which I use the 8" chef... which needs honing at least once a month.

Only other knife I have is a Tojiro F-502, which is sharp as all get-out, but to use it correctly I have to change my fast cutting style from rocking/push to something foreign to me. It works great for veggies that need mincing since it's a straight down chop-happy blade.

Nice thread, GM. Just finished my read through.

SumOfMyBits said:

That's what I roll with... the majority of which I use the 8" chef... which needs honing at least once a month.

Only other knife I have is a Tojiro F-502, which is sharp as all get-out, but to use it correctly I have to change my fast cutting style from rocking/push to something foreign to me. It works great for veggies that need mincing since it's a straight down chop-happy blade.

Nice thread, GM. Just finished my read through.
Yeah I wear out the 8" chef knife for sure. 

Beloved people you would not put your fine jewelry or timepieces in the dishwasher.  Why would you put your good knives in there?  NEVER EVER put your nice knives in anything put hot water and soap.  Never wash knives with anything other than hot water, soap and your own hands.  Yer gonna cut half an onion and 2 ribs of celery to go with the 12oz of boneles chicken breast you butterflied earlier, and the entire process meant about 8 total minutes of knife work.  That hardly qualifies for the dishwashing cycle!!!  

Your best knife is used and then immediately cleaned and hung.  No valid reason for it to be any other way.  

I have mostly JA Henkles knives, but at a trade show earlier this year I stumbled on Rhineland Cutlery http://rhinelandcutlery.com/. The guy's demo was pretty impressive so I bought a 5" utility knife to try it out. I really like it so far. Stays sharp at least as long as my Henkles, and maybe a bit more. I think I've only honed it once in the two months I've had it. The handle is very comfortable and the knife is very nicely balanced around where you grip it.

My 2 Henkles 6" chef knives are usually dirty since I use the heck out of them. I could see myself buying another one from Rhineland without any reservations.

I have an old hic' too, but it's the swashbuckler looking shape ...

Ask her how to maintain it? ... mine rusts ... maybe rub it w/ a little oil like stainless pans? ...

P&T ;)

grantmichaels said:
I have an old hic' too, but it's the swashbuckler looking shape ...

Ask her how to maintain it? ... mine rusts ... maybe rub it w/ a little oil like stainless pans? ...

P&T ;)
Anytime I use it I just wash it immediately and then dry it off because of the fact that it rusts and it stays rust free.for the most part. Just scrub the rust off and don't keep it wet is what we do.

filmost said:
Damn folks, that's a shit ton of hot peppers. We grow a single Jalapeno plant.
Sometimes our obsessions get the best of us.

Back