• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking pork roast question

well i'm at it again. seeing THPs pork sandwiches got me thinking about this stuff..so i now i have a 2.8 lb roast in the oven at 200 F. i would've bought a larger one, but my grandma bought it and she didn't want too much left over. similar spice mix, but i was limited to what she had though most of it was covered. used some yellow mustard to coat it, paprika, light brown sugar, ground cayenne, fresh ground black pepper, some coarse salt (not sure exactly what kind because she just had it in a jar), a little oregano, garlic and onion powder, a little cinnamon, and some "everglade's heat" i think that was it. let it sit coated and wrapped in cling wrap overnight in the fridge.

IMG_3151.jpg

has only been in for about an hour and a half...a little ways to go, but i can't wait.

wow - I definitely have to try this...with some different spices though...I wasn't hungry, but now I'm starving...thanks for the inspiration.

Well.... how did it turn out? It takes a little time but you'll figure it out .... I forgot if you have a smoker? If you dont a bullet smoker is a great piece also there are some with a side firebox that are a bit more pricey ($200 and up)but you can throw on a whole bunch a stuff on.

Went to a clam bake the other day and they had briskets covered with sausage links to keep the meat wet and a rib roast that they had put spices on and then turned it and but pepperoni on top to keep it moist... odd as it may sound it was damn good with the spiceyness of the 'roni....

Git'er done

it didn't turn out right. ;) part of the problem is i haven't once followed a set recipe. i just kinda throw together some spices (which turns out fine), then put in the oven at roughly similar temps for various amounts of time hah. a couple times it turned out great, and a couple times i wound up cutting it with a knife. :cool:

i did forget to take it out and wrap it in some foil to sit for a while..i'm hoping that was the only problem..but i'm not sure. it smelled so good, and we were hungry, plus it was getting to be about time to eat. so once i pulled it out of there, we pretty much started eating.

nope..don't have a smoker..used the oven again. once i get settled in somewhere for a while, i'll definitely be picking up some kind of smoker or smoker/grill.

You should cook pork shoulder for pulled pork.

it was labeled boston butt at the grocery store. isn't that the same thing just different name? maybe i had my roasts confused?

Your pic in post 21 does not look like shoulder. Is it?

I like big butts and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist
And a round thing in your face
You get sprung :cool:

I like Boston Butts myself with the Blade bone in. Cook low and slow 250F and eventually the bone will practicaly fall out with just a simple pull. Then let it cool. Slicing is no good unless you chop it then add whatver from there I like it with a mustard sauce and coleslaw on a cheap yella' bun oh man :mouthonfire:

thehotpepper.com said:
Your pic in post 21 does not look like shoulder. Is it?

thats what they had it labeled as. however, it wouldn't be the first time they've mislabeled a cut of meat. one time i was there and they had a flank steak labeled as a filet mignon. :rolleyes:

ah dude...but if done right..flank or skirt steak can be every bit as good as filet! I love those cuts marinated and grilled. Flank in a teri pineapple marinade and then grilled medium rare. Skirt in tequila lime cilantro and grilled to medium rare. Add peppers onions and fresh warm tortilla's ....ahhhh..fajita's! Now I gotta get to Costco!

texas blues said:
ah dude...but if done right..flank or skirt steak can be every bit as good as filet! I love those cuts marinated and grilled. Flank in a teri pineapple marinade and then grilled medium rare. Skirt in tequila lime cilantro and grilled to medium rare. Add peppers onions and fresh warm tortilla's ....ahhhh..fajita's! Now I gotta get to Costco!

I loves me some Carne Asada too with some gawlic and lime juice :rolleyes: I think Im going to Costco as well

Actually on my list for this weekend Im favoring Brisket, my wife Pork Butt, my kids want ribs also I want to make some Chorizo looks like I'll be Q'ing better put a lot of beer on the list

LUCKYDOG said:
I loves me some Carne Asada too with some gawlic and lime juice :drooling: I think Im going to Costco as well

Actually on my list for this weekend Im favoring Brisket, my wife Pork Butt, my kids want ribs also I want to make some Chorizo looks like I'll be Q'ing better put a lot of beer on the list

You keep talkin' like that and you're going to have a Canuck for company...:drooling: :beer:

texas blues said:

hah well that is true...but i'm not a fan of paying that much per pound for either. :drooling:

xgrafcorex said:
hah well that is true...but i'm not a fan of paying that much per pound for either. :drooling:

They used to be the cheapest cuts of meat ... Heck I tell my friend thats a p/t butcher and he laughs because they used to grind it for hamburger....

You would be good for yourself with a pound.... By going to COstco or some other warehouse like that you can find the cryovac cuts and they are big and cheap....

It's a butt...just a very small one. Looks like they cut it in two. I don't bother looking for ones in the case, I talk to the butcher and ask for a cryopac of whole bone in pork butts. There's two in a cryopac. If you're heating up your cooker, may as well do two of them. More leftovers ;) Sometimes they'll even give you a discount since they don't have to cut it up.

I did just that this weekend Scotty... Costco 2 boned butts in the cryopac ~7-8lbs a piece for 12$ plenty for the party !!!!

I followed xgrafcorex's recipe, almost exactly, with two shoulder roasts, and they came out amazing. Cooked at 225, pulled out at 170 internal temp, wrapped in foil, and back in the oven at 150 for 1.5 hours. Shredded easily, and very moist.

I took pics, but saved them to tape instead of memory stick, so when I went to download them they weren't there.:)

Back