• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking pork roast question

you can leave it in the oven solid till 190 then take out and wrap and put in a cooler (styrofoam) or spare till it cools as well. Just a little tid-bit -- a digital thermometer is the way to go with an alarm set it at night and wake up to being done. I have started butts and briskets late got a good smoke in 'em for a few hours and finished in the oven as well.

I may make one this week for tailgating on Sat. for UCONN football game

hmm i'll have to find a digital thermometer and give it another shot. i basically was just keeping it low heat for a long time..little method to the madness i suppose. also, i suppose remembering to wrap it in foil and let it sit would help as well. i've did that the second and third time i tried it...but i forgot this time (fourth time). we were hungry. :)

L-dog, north of the border, we kinda refrain from using the terms butts and digital thermometers in the same conversation...:)...just in case you ever get up this way...

XG..what you got there my friend is definitely hot, brown, and righteous. Careful...once word gets out you can make that..you will find the knocks on the door from friends become more frequent. If you cook it, they will come. Make them bring the beer! Cheers bro. TB

Damn you guys know how to make a man HUNGRY!!!! LMAO!! Those butts look awesome! Pulled pork is one of my favorite foods. I usually cook it low and slow in the smoker. Then I take half of the shredded meat and dump some of my Sweet Apple BBQ sauce on it and mix it up really good and the other half usually leave plain with just the flavoring from the spice rub I use. Low and Slow with a resting time is the only way to go!!

Okay - I've got two more 4 pounders in - these ones are bone in - I wonder if there will be a difference...If I can elevate my IQ past 45, I'll try to post a pic this time...

Just to torture you guys....thats what I did yesterday....

RIMG0185.jpg

I always go for bone in. Spose to keep it moist and gives you a great tool for knowing when it's done (when it slides right out)

Scotty said:
I always go for bone in. Spose to keep it moist and gives you a great tool for knowing when it's done (when it slides right out)

Sounds good - but it seem to be extending the cooking process. They've been in 45 minutes longer than my first attempt, and I'm still only at 160 degrees... I thought the opposite would happen.

texas blues said:
XG..what you got there my friend is definitely hot, brown, and righteous. Careful...once word gets out you can make that..you will find the knocks on the door from friends become more frequent. If you cook it, they will come. Make them bring the beer! Cheers bro. TB

hahha yea, that would be fine with me as long as they bring some good beer. :onfire:

i've never tried it with the bone in..honestly not sure if i've seen any on sale around here.

phil, that looks mighty delicious. i'm full right now, but i think i'd find a way to make some room for that.

Hot Canuck said:
Sounds good - but it seem to be extending the cooking process. They've been in 45 minutes longer than my first attempt, and I'm still only at 160 degrees... I thought the opposite would happen.

Ahhh the sticking point .... this is where it could take forever .... remove gauge if you have one (remember where the hole is... in your butt :shh:) wrap in heavy duty foil a little of your mop and reinsert probe :D and wait. The smoke has already done its job now its time for the heat. They will stick on you sometimes
If you ever do a brisket they are the worst.

Hope all worked out well

I think my thermometer had an issue, as the roasts came out drier this time. I'll upgrade before doing again.

Here's a pic - hopefully they link or whatever it is they're supposed to do. How do you post a picture in a post like Phil did? I can only post a link.

The second pic is for Chilehunter...:shh:

pulledporkwithsauce.jpg

kitties2.jpg

Hot Canuck said:
L-dog, north of the border, we kinda refrain from using the terms butts and digital thermometers in the same conversation...:confused:...just in case you ever get up this way...
lol too funny ill aggree to that hehehe

Hot Canuck said:
I think my thermometer had an issue, as the roasts came out drier this time. I'll upgrade before doing again.

Here's a few pics - hopefully they link or whatever it is they're supposed to do. How do you post a picture in a post like Phil did? I can only post a link.

The third pic is for Chilehunter...:cool:

I dont know about Photo Bucket butt in :) ImageShack you can copy the URL for websites and copy and paste it into the message

with photobucket there is a link you can copy that has image tags around it
(not sure if that will show up or not, but the tags say img.) just copy and paste that link, it says "IMG code" next to it.

IMG_2927.jpg

Yeah, forgot to mention the plateau at 160. It seems like it'll take forever, then WHAM, after the fat and connective tissues have rendered, the temps go up and it's done.

xgrafcorex said:
thats what they had it labeled as. however, it wouldn't be the first time they've mislabeled a cut of meat. one time i was there and they had a flank steak labeled as a filet mignon. :lol:

WOW!!! That's not even near the same cut of meat!!:shocked:
Looking at your food it's making me hungry again though:lol::lol:

haha i couldn't believe they mixed those two up!

how long do you guys suggest i have it in the oven per pound? i'm gonna give it another go perhaps tomorrow, just wanted to get some suggestions from you guys since i am still pretty new to this. thanks!

Back