• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking pork roast question

LUCKYDOG said:
That should be plenty you dont want to boil it so much but steam -- enough liquid so it wont burn -- the pork will also melt off some more too.. take that liquid and pour some back over once you shred it to keep it nice and moist --

some coleslaw a cheap hamburg roll and favorite sauce -- yum

went with two boneless butt roasts. At the four hour mark - looking good. Internal temp of 150. Two hours to go...

Hot Canuck said:
went with two boneless butt roasts. At the four hour mark - looking good. Internal temp of 150. Two hours to go...

Time is subjective --- it should be two hours but could be more ---

So how did it come out?

LUCKYDOG said:
Time is subjective --- it should be two hours but could be more ---

So how did it come out?

When I was pulling it apart at 2:30 in the morning, I thought it was a just little dry, based on how hard I had to work, but when I mixed the saved juices and two bottles of BBQ sauce in with it, the batch became very moist, and stayed that way till Sunday morning.

I still need to get a good thermometer to better test the meat's status. This should take a lot of the guesswork out. I was quite happy with this batch though. Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

14 lbs total, 12 hours total @ 215 deg with pecan wood.......falls apart when I try to take it off the smoker!

Here all shot full of a combo of my dry rub and apple juice.....
100_0060.jpg

Here all finished after 12 hours.........
100_0062-2.jpg

and finally pulled, except the picture turned out blurry and does it no justice!
100_0063.jpg

blurry or not, that looks delicious! i've still yet to do one on the grill/smoker. on top of that, i've never even smoked anything. (in a smoker :) )

xgrafcorex said:
i've never even smoked anything. (in a smoker :) )

Once you do there is NO turning back.... I made my first out 55 gall. drums before buying one larger next is something like Big Nuggs

Back from the dead!

Was down in NC the other day and hit up one of my old favorite chains down there..Smithfield's. They make great pulled pork sandwiches and I love that NC style sauce. I wound up buying a bottle of it to take home with me..and since 2+2=4, I figured I should buy some pork and give it another go.

So far I just have it sitting in the fridge overnight coated in jalapeno mustard, some Blazin' Hot Stuff, and various spices (onion and garlic powders, crushed red pepper flakes, black pepper, chili powder, and some blair's death rain habanero rub.)

Tomorrow morning I plan on throwing it in the oven (no grill here..) and chowing down on it tomorrow for dinner..which gives me time to go buy another thermometer since I don't know if the one I had made the move. Also will probably get some cole slaw..maybe even make some.

Here are some pictures so far..

rub mix
IMG_7794.jpg

IMG_7799.jpg

IMG_7802.jpg

XG...you got a fine lookin' butt there. I'm a big fan of the mustard wet rubs on the que. French's Mustard, which is the standard, is excellent but lately I have fallen in love with Bone Suckin' Jalapeno Mustard. You could put it on a 2x4 and it would taste good!

Cheers, TB.

Ohh man was this stuff good! Had to bump up the heat a little cause I was a moron and had it at 175 or so thinking it was at 200. Wound up leaving it on 250 for the majority of the time. Bought a thermometer today and used it here and there to find out when it hit 190..once it did, I turned down the heat. Wrapped it up in foil and threw it back in the oven at about 125 then decided to turn off the heat completely and let it sit for 1.5 hours in foil. After 1.5 hours in foil, I pulled that thing like it was pushing itself apart! The bone came right out and the whole thing ripped to shreds! This is probably the best one I've done so far. Here are some pics.

edit..forgot to mention I poured a little coca cola on there when I wrapped it up in foil.

After pulling it out of the oven.
IMG_7808.jpg

IMG_7809.jpg

After pulling it.
IMG_7810.jpg

Sammich!
With the NC sauce I bought at Smithfield's...in Smithfield, NC.
IMG_7812.jpg

Slaw, NC style sauce, pulled pork, and onion roll. :D
IMG_7813.jpg

Going to put together number two.

When it shreds without any effort and the bone comes out clean, you have pulled pork. Anything else is slice and dice. When you get to this point you know it, and it seems you do. Cheers.

for Q'd pulled pork this is how i do it...

i inject with fruit juice/salt/spice mixture. this gets flavor into the meat where a rub cannot. it also helps keep it moist inside IMHO

i didnt feel like typing out all of this out because it is exactly the same as i do it as on this page..lol

http://bbq.about.com/od/pulledpor1/ss/aa062408a_6.htm

When smoking a pork roast you want to keep a close eye on the temperature. Ideally your pork is done cooking at a temperature around 185 degrees F. in the very center of the meat. One problem is that the meat can really dry out the longer it cooks. Since the outside of the roast is going to be hotter than the middle you can use this heat to finish off the meat outside the smoker. When the center of the meat is around 175 degrees F. take it out of your smoker and wrap it tightly in several layers of foil. Now you will want to keep it warm. There are several ways to do this. One of the simplest ways to do this is to place the meat in a small cooler. The cooler will hold in the heat, allowing it to reach the right temperature without cooking it any more. This is also a great way to hold the meat until you are ready for it.

Wrapped tightly the meat will steam a little making it easier to shred/pull

xgrafcorex said:
Thanks..now I just have to try it on a grill or smoker..aka re-learn it all! :rolleyes:

nah you dont...its the same thing..cooking vessel is different but the same principals apply

Instead of a cooler, I just used the oven with the heat way down..then decided to turn it off..then even opened the door to let the heat out. Let it sit for 1.5 hours total before taking it out of the foil.

xgrafcorex said:
Instead of a cooler, I just used the oven with the heat way down..then decided to turn it off..then even opened the door to let the heat out. Let it sit for 1.5 hours total before taking it out of the foil.

for home use, i dont even use the cooler either..just wrap it in foil then wrap it in towels that have been made into for bbq use only and let it sit.

Back