• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking pork roast question

haha i guess that info would help.

it's a 5.4 lb. boneless boston butt. it's more square shaped than the last one i had, and i'm cooking it in the oven. we don't have a grill anymore (was borrowed from a neighbor that moved), and we don't have a smoker. :lol:

well, I had good success doing two 4 pounders, at 225 degrees, for about 5 hours. My guess is the extra roast would not have that great an effect on cooking time, so you are probably looking at 4 - 5 hours. I would bring it out at 170, wrap it in foil, and throw back in the oven at 150. The best one I did I left in for 1.5 hours - shredded easily, and came out moist.

The ones I did wrong, I left in too long at 225 - came out too dry.

Having said this, I will defer to Luckydog or Scotty, as they definitely have more experience.

Looking forward to the pics...

thanks. one more question..when you say "back in the oven at 150" you mean lower the temp from 225 to 150? or wait for the pork to cool from 170 to 150?

xgrafcorex said:
thanks. one more question..when you say "back in the oven at 150" you mean lower the temp from 225 to 150? or wait for the pork to cool from 170 to 150?

I dropped the oven temp to 150. I thought 150 would stop the cooking process, but maintain the roasts core heat. I was going to play with that the mext time. 170 would make sense, as it is the same temp as the roast, or 125 would make sense, as the roast is essentially cooked, and all you're trying to do is keep it warm. Both make sense in theory ( well, mine anyways ), but I am sure there is only one perfect solution.

I mentioned on another thread sometimes all you can do is practice. If it comes out perfect, note your decisions. If it comes out like a hockey puck, do the same...

Once wrapped in foil you really shouldnt need to go so low I would stay the around 225 wrapped with some mop or liquid i.e. Apple juice, Root beer, Cola , your BBQ Sauce whatever as long as it braises the rest of the way ( I shoot for 190 for meat temp and carry over will run it to 195-200) with a liquid you should be okay and let it cool -- seal tightly so no juices escape -- you can reuse the juices on top after to keep moist -- sounds like you guys are busy eating a lot of pork :hell:

thanks. i'll try that as well. the butt is in the oven now at 225 for a bit over an hour now. starting to smell good in the house.

rub
IMG_3192.jpg

butt
IMG_3194.jpg

some of the rub came off cause i had it wrapped up and sitting in the fridge for a little bit before putting it in the oven. can't wait to try the legend's habanero bbq sauce.

lookin'good -- you can dust it again with your rub after you have it ready for the smoker/oven/grill --- Are you using a mopping sauce once its in?

no mopping sauce..and i kinda just eyeballed the rub and wound up using it all for the initial coat.

well, i threw it in at 11am at 225 F, wrapped in in foil and poured a little liquid onto it (coke, since it was what i had out of the things luckydog mentioned. it seemed strange to me though..never done that before. would've used the bbq sauce, but my grandma can't take much heat at all.) at 4:05 and also dropped the temp to about 195 i think. took it out at 5:37 and let it sit on the counter still wrapped in foil for about 15 minutes.

it came out much better than last time..but still not as good as the second time i made it. this would be the 5th attempt i think. was more tender for sure, but wasn't falling apart tender like i was hoping. was a mix of pulling and tearing rather than just pulling.

was a little on the dry side sort of..but that wasn't a problem once i added the legend's habanero bbq sauce. on the plus side, my grandma liked it much more this time around. :)

here's a couple pics.

IMG_3197.jpg

IMG_3198.jpg

Did the internal temp get to 190-200? Sounds like you are mastering it... next time you are in your hot sauce place check for Byrons Butt Rub this stuff is good on all BBQ

LUCKYDOG said:
Did the internal temp get to 190-200? Sounds like you are mastering it... next time you are in your hot sauce place check for Byrons Butt Rub this stuff is good on all BBQ

no, unfortunately the internal temp was never that high that i saw. i forget the highest it got to, but it didn't hit 170 when is first stuck a thermometer into it.

i'd have to mail order that rub, don't know of any places around here that would carry it.

kinda frustrating since i have made it way better before and i thought i had it down heh. just reread the thread to hopefully pick up on what i did differently early on..which were the best ones.

not down and out by a long shot, just a little disappointed. though i have to admit, this time was much better than the time before. last time i had to use a knife. :) this time it was two forks, just tougher than it should've been.

edit...i think (after reading the recent brisket thread)

You need to get the internal temp higher at the least 190

I'll dig out what I use for a rub and give it to ya pretty simple and you can use it as is or kick it up a notch -- I dont usually make the rub firey I save that for the vinegar sauce at the end ---

LUCKYDOG said:
You need to get the internal temp higher at the least 190

I'll dig out what I use for a rub and give it to ya pretty simple and you can use it as is or kick it up a notch -- I dont usually make the rub firey I save that for the vinegar sauce at the end ---

Really? I thought 170 was the goal. After it hits 190, and you wrap it in foil, do you have to keep it warm, or just let it rest for an hour?

Hot Canuck said:
Really? I thought 170 was the goal. After it hits 190, and you wrap it in foil, do you have to keep it warm, or just let it rest for an hour?

Let it rest it'll stay warm keep covered leave the probe in so juices wont run..1/2 to a hr should do it.... if you are impatient you can do it before but you will need asbestos fingers :onfire:

Also, let me say, You dont have to wrap in foil... it just helps kick start the process and prevents anymore "bark" from developing it will take longer. I usually wrap when it plateaus say 160 and by that time I have a deep pink smoke ring any ways so its a matter of getting to "goal" temp 190 - 205 is a happy zone --- there will be carry over heat when you let it rest as well

Here is a basic rub that I have used change based on your taste or use as is. I tend to double it because after I unwrap it I dust again once its on

Makes enough for an 8lb Butt:

1 tablespoon mild paprika
2 teaspoons light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons hot paprika or regular if you dont have any -- I have used hab powder that I've had around adj as needed
1/2 teaspoon celery salt -- not the seed
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt -- salt not the powder
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder -- powder not onion salt
1/4 teaspoon salt

Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 8hrs or over night
and I usually use Hickory chips/chunks for this --

thanks for the help. i'll definitely try again, just not sure when..still have plenty left over for now. had a plate for lunch.

next time i'll give that rub a go. only need to buy the celery salt, we have all that other stuff. also, will probably add some habanero powder to give it a little bite.

making extra sounds like a good idea. i made just enough to get a good coat on all sides, but when i wrapped it up to sit in the fridge overnight, a lot rubbed off.

ha was thinking about this earlier..but i'm learning to make it in the oven now..when it comes time to make it on a smoker, i hope it's not gonna take too much trial and error. :P

LUCKYDOG said:
Once wrapped in foil you really shouldnt need to go so low I would stay the around 225 wrapped with some mop or liquid i.e. Apple juice, Root beer, Cola , your BBQ Sauce whatever as long as it braises the rest of the way ( I shoot for 190 for meat temp and carry over will run it to 195-200) with a liquid you should be okay and let it cool -- seal tightly so no juices escape -- you can reuse the juices on top after to keep moist -- sounds like you guys are busy eating a lot of pork :lol:

I'm doing two tomorrow night for a party Sunday. I'll try the above method and let you know how it goes. For the brazing portion - 1/2" of apple juice? I'm doing the roasts in a large tinfoil pan, and they are about 5" high.

That should be plenty you dont want to boil it so much but steam -- enough liquid so it wont burn -- the pork will also melt off some more too.. take that liquid and pour some back over once you shred it to keep it nice and moist --

some coleslaw a cheap hamburg roll and favorite sauce -- yum

LUCKYDOG said:
That should be plenty you dont want to boil it so much but steam -- enough liquid so it wont burn -- the pork will also melt off some more too.. take that liquid and pour some back over once you shred it to keep it nice and moist --

some coleslaw a cheap hamburg roll and favorite sauce -- yum

THANK YOU! :lol:

Back