• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Show Us Your Pubes! Group GLOG From The Rocoto Giveaway

I am starting this thread for folks who received some Pubescens seeds from me through the Pubescens giveaway. I figured it would be fun to see everyone's progress, plus have a general place to share any pics, growing techniques, and general Pubescens knowledge. I wish everyone great success in their gardens this year.

Even if you didn't receive seeds from me, and want to contribute info about your Pubescens plants this year, please feel free to share.

A little torture test i did. These 2 Mini Reds and 1 Chichimeca were on the brink of death. I gave them nothing but aerated water for weeks until they were severely yellow. About a week ago i put a few of the Alaska vegetable and tomato pellets in each tiny peat pot. They are fish and kelp based 4-6-6. I also put a few of the pellets in the water i keep bubbling with a air stone. It took maybe 2 days to see some small improvements.

They have not only recovered and grown but have buds. These looked like hell. You can see some of the dead leaves in the bottom. I removed most of them. The pics dont really give a great idea of how beautifully green they are now. Only 1 or 2 lower leaves have any yellow tint left at all. The rest is just glare from the lights.

eC96zbx.jpg

SzCPpcK.jpg

ZaYt13O.jpg

HE91CLC.jpg

QNrzYcI.jpg

Yeah its been very challenging here. The "stem" holding the flower seems very fragile and thin. Gave them all a pretty good nutrient boost including some kelp. The 2 inside im going to up pot soon and keep them mostly inside. Only taking them outside for short periods in the shade when its cool enough. I gave a mini red to a guy that grows the chichimeca jalapenos i love. I will check with him next Saturday to find out how his is doing.

I need to figure out if its me or just the climate. All his plants in the past have looked amazing. Whatever he is doing he has it down pat and i gave him a pretty nice seedling. I made sure to tell him they like some shade.

I just don't get around. Had no idea you'd started this thread, Dale, but then again, I've started a list of things I'm not aware of or not gotten around to this year...

...but I have Rocotos, I believe all the seed from you this year...

Only one of these guys is NOT a pube. There's a Jalapeno in there somewhere. These guys are loving life in a trailer (parked). I thought I would be toting this thing around the yard all season looking for a sweet spot in the sun, but hey, they're in the driveway and no adjustment necessary. I have a Giant Yellow, Large Red, Ecuadorian Red, two Peruvian Red, Ajo Oro, two Rocoto Rojo, Rocoto Arequipeño, Turbo Pube and an Aji Lago....at least according to the labels. They're all in containers because of my short zone 3 season....they're all in a trailer for the same reason: I can move them easily into and out of the garage during the nightly frost season of Sept-Oct.

36394525_476739826108641_3860852372750204928_n.jpg

The three smaller plants are an Aji Oro, Rocoto Rojo and Aji Arequipeño. I'm waiting for a good rain tonight, after which I think I'll try to find a more encouraging setting for them, with less direct sun...

Great to see the pics and pods starting to set. Hopefully that keeps picking up. 

The bees are doing their work on mine and I'm starting to see sets as well.  For some reason the bumblebees really lock in on the pubes (a good thing in this case) and will simply move down the line visiting one after another without touching any other peppers.  I assume it's the purple, because they seem to love the hyssop I put out as an attractor too.  Anyhow, here's a few pics from yesterday.  Hopefully some fat pod pics soon.

CU1_812.jpg

105601_812.jpg

BB_812.jpg

After 7-10 days of cool weather, the sun's finally kicking back into gear and the rocotos are starting to stretch and take form.

Costa Rican Red looking symmetrical as usual and spreading out.
20180703_CostaRR.jpg

San Isidro turning into a dense little bush.  By my experience this guy will be big by the end of July and a monster (by Seattle standards anyway) by the end of the season.
20180702_SanIsidro.jpg

Even the Arequipa is starting to reach and ramble.
20180703_AREQ.jpg

But this Big Apple is really interesting.  It looks plenty healthy: big leaves, thick stems, and plenty of division, but it's staying squat for now.  I haven't grown the BAR before, but it looks like it's building up it's energy for a growth explosion. I hope so.
20180702_BigApple.jpg

Thegreenchilemonster said:
I grow it every year. Very productive, super juicy, great flavor, and fantastic heat.

I haven't had much luck with my Aji Largo's.  I have only plant though that is doing better and
has some flowers, so maybe I'll get some pods later this summer.

What is this Dale? Came from your seed stock. I thought it was mini rocoto rojo, not amarillo I want my money back.

Attachments

• 20180713_180959.jpg
    20180713_180959.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 20180713_181935.jpg
    20180713_181935.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 62
Back