• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Show Us Your Pubes! Group GLOG From The Rocoto Giveaway

I am starting this thread for folks who received some Pubescens seeds from me through the Pubescens giveaway. I figured it would be fun to see everyone's progress, plus have a general place to share any pics, growing techniques, and general Pubescens knowledge. I wish everyone great success in their gardens this year.

Even if you didn't receive seeds from me, and want to contribute info about your Pubescens plants this year, please feel free to share.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
It probably crossed with some oher pube in my garden. How does it taste?
Taste awesome actually. I typically don't like the pube taste because I find them to have a bitter after taste but this one is pleasant.

20180713_194535.jpg

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Glad to hear that you enjoyed it. Is the plant pretty prductive for you?

Not too much, but then again I've been slacking with my peppers this year. We had some crazy weather patterns this year that resulted in poor performance of everything really. It's a hardy little plant as far as I can tell. These Texas summers are brutal and I'm not using a shade cloth. I'll probably grow this again next year and see if I can get a plant that will perform better in my area..

I have a Large Red and an Ecuadorian Red showing signs of a horn worm. I have them isolated and have been checking at night but so far no culprits discovered.

I will endeavor to persevere....

CaneDog said:
Nice catch.  He doesn't seem to be enjoying the hemo's too much.

So is there still one at large on the Ecuadorian?

Funny thing, since I nailed that guy (actually a variegated cutworm), there's been no activity on either. Thing is, these two plants were at opposite ends of the trailer when the started to show signs of attack. I'm continuing to monitor the situation, but so far it's two days without any activity...

Our temps have moderated into the mid-to-upper 70s. We have some EXTREMELY happy pepper plants around here!!

37363756_494737577642199_1730609603944644608_n.jpg

Maybe he took off when he saw you FUBAR his buddy with the clamps.

Foliage is looking good on your Roc's.  Looks like they're getting ready pod up so maybe good timing for the moderate temps.  My local weather's been all over the place this year and just dropped into the 70's for a few days after much hotter.  Roc pods have been setting decent enough at the higher temps, but I'm hoping things really take off this week with it a bit cooler.  Talking about 90's again this weekend though.

Nothing too exciting to post - it's that time of year for me when the early work is done and there's not tons to do but water and wait and feel impatient for the plants to grow and produce.

I have a couple first-year Arequipa's isolated that are putting pods on.  Not lots, maybe a dozen between them at this point, but the plants are healthy and the pods are pretty big and sturdy right out of the gate.  I'm counting on making up for modest numbers with some good-sized pods. And some dependable seed stock.

The better looking (more symmetrical) but so far lesser producing of the two.
20180718_AreqISOP.jpg

20180718_AreqISO.jpg

I'm still awaiting the first pod to set on ANY of my pubes. The anuums and my overwinter baccatums are podding up nominally, but what blossoms I'm getting (a Turbo Pube & a Peruvian Red, most active) are continuing to drop.

I am hopeful, though.

These are the cutworm victims, Large Red on the left, Ecuadorian on the right. The Large Red has visibly perked up since the Tremors Experience, but other than new growth the Ecuadorian is still alarmingly limp. I fear some root munching may be/may have been going on. I don't know about the hornworms, but cutworms do have a taste for root systems.

37345053_495709400878350_7768252523017666560_n.jpg

So what is the protocol for detecting and eliminating a subterranean marauder? I'm at a loss. 

Back