• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Stickman's 2013 Glog - Time To Pull The Plug on 2013

I'm pulling things together to get ready for my next growing season. I bought NuMex variety seeds from Sandia Seed company in New Mexico, Hot Paper Lantern Habaneros and Antohi Romanians from Johnny's Select Seeds in Maine and Korean varieties from Evergreen Seeds in California. Due to the unbelievable generosity of a number of THP members I've also gotten seeds to a wide variety of chiles from around the world. Special thanks to BootsieB, stc3248, romy6, PaulG, SoCalChilehead, joynershotpeppers, highalt, cmpman1974, smokemaster, mygrassisblue, Mister No, chewi, KingDenniz, orrozconleche and most recently and spectacularly, Habanerohead with a great selection of superhots and peppers from Hungary!
SANY0193.jpg

There are eleven varieties of Hungarian peppers in here, mostly the early, thick-fleshed, sweet ones that range from white through yellow to purple and red.., plus Aji Lemon Drop, BJ Indian Carbon, Naga Morich, Bishop's Crown and TS CARDI Yellow! Now I just have to go through my seed bank and match the space available to what I want to grow. Thanks Balázs!

Fantastic work, stickman! How and how often do you water while the plants are in the hoop house?
Hi Josh, and welcome to the Zoo!

It's quite a bit cooler up here than it is for you. Daytime highs are only in the 60's and low 70's, though on sunny days with the ends of the hoophouse open it's in the mid to upper 90's in there, so I water every other day when it's sunny, and twice a week when it's cold or overcast.

I went out in the hoophouse to get a few pics... Urfa Bibers are looking good.
SANY0707_zpsfbe458b1.jpg

The larger of the 2 Jalapeno Zapotec...
SANY0708_zps3320661e.jpg

As you can see, there are peppers of all sizes in there. Some are only a couple of inches tall and others are over a foot.

Here's one of the Kapia peppers beginning to blossom...
SANY0711_zps5770e405.jpg

The Maya Red Habanero that was in a solo cup and transplanted outside is starting to blossom, and by the look of it, maybe even starting to set pods...
SANY0709_zpsfd462b8c.jpg

The Yellow 7 that was in a solo cup still has the pod it set, but is dropping whole flowers too. More keep coming though, and when it gets warm enough I have no doubt will set more.
SANY0710_zps54dad6d6.jpg

I love how you do dat ^_^ ... Amazing to me that you have to let the heat out so early out of dem solar blankets as I read in an earlier post of yours. Since it's the beinging of your outdoor season I mean, seein how it was so cold last week and your nights are still cold. I would have thought you do that later when it's fully warmed up. Have a good one ^_^

Looks like I have. A gochu cross.
This is in a pot and all pods are consistent in pod shape.
9B200C9B-4344-4979-AC9C-72DDDE07DD77-551-00000054CBF4DCD7_zps9d2bd9ca.jpg

173F036A-E0B0-46EE-9899-F0BEF3E86550-551-00000054CE8D0BEE_zps53bed0c5.jpg

The other gochu in ground looks like this
9F279645-2437-4579-B522-00CDCC859B75-551-00000054D11879C1_zpsa805e9fd.jpg

27179539-5E29-4B1D-BC69-98DA9005C5FB-551-00000054D3872B95_zpsb41fb0a6.jpg

Regardless I have pods. Just let me know how they're suppose to be. Keep up your good job

Hi DeNNiZ
Looking at your pictures, I think you're right... the first plant looks like it crossed with a nearby Jalapeno. The other one looks like one of the Andy Gochus like DocNrock is growing. The Andy variety I thought had good flavor but was a bit milder than the rest. The cross might have thicker flesh and pack more heat when still green than the Gochus usually do. Good on ya DeNNiZ! :dance:

I love how you do dat ^_^ ... Amazing to me that you have to let the heat out so early out of dem solar blankets as I read in an earlier post of yours. Since it's the beinging of your outdoor season I mean, seein how it was so cold last week and your nights are still cold. I would have thought you do that later when it's fully warmed up. Have a good one ^_^
Thanks Ramon
You'd be amazed at how much heat the solar mulch can generate on a sunny day. Even on a cloudy day it can raise the temperature inside the hoophouse 10 degrees. What really determines when I plant outside though, is the overnight low temperature. About 4:00 in the morning it can get pretty cold in there since it's radiated most of the heat it built up during the day and it's only a few degrees warmer than ambient. It's better than being cold all night though, and it gives me enough of an edge that I can transplant outside 3-4 weeks early.

Awesome updates there Rick! I love the pics on the hoop house / tunnel... that is really brilliant! It's all looking very impressive!
Thanks Lourens
How cold does it get during the winter where you planted your chiles? If it gets no lower 0-1 degrees C, maybe you could overwinter some of your plants in the ground using this method. The materials are pretty cheap, the main sticking point is that the sheet poly will keep out the rain and someone will have to water the plants at least a couple times a week. It's something to think about anyway.

Hi Rick,
2 weeks ago I sowed your seeds at my parents.
Here are the results

Gochu (on the right)

Chimayo

I have some seedlings from the other varieties, too.(Serrano, Jalapeno, Kapijas)
They are going to be transplanted into solo cups today.
Thank you for your generous offer, again :)
I am sitting on a train, and reading your 2012 glog to see how the Korean peppers will look like. Well, it was a bad idea... Your photos about the meals makes me hungry like hell! :))))))))))))
Keep posting the pics about your peppers and your recipes, so we can have a good reason to check the forum more frequently! :))
Balázs

Woohoo. jalachochus. Will be fun trying to figure out when to harvest them. These may be immature or not. Will find out gonna harvest the one turning red and see how it is compared to a jalapeño. How long are your gochus usually. And is it best red or green ?!

Thanks Lourens
How cold does it get during the winter where you planted your chiles? If it gets no lower 0-1 degrees C, maybe you could overwinter some of your plants in the ground using this method. The materials are pretty cheap, the main sticking point is that the sheet poly will keep out the rain and someone will have to water the plants at least a couple times a week. It's something to think about anyway.
Hi Rick... definately worth looking at. Temps here get as low as -5ºc at night on extreme cases. Sometimes we get black frost. I am worried about the real special plants, so I may still take them indoors. But I know all the thick skinned chillis will make it through the winter.

Rick,

Plants are holding their own and will go nuts soon. Are you going to get the cold front that's dropping down in these parts overnight? It's bringing us down to 42 on Sat.

I'm hoping it passes you by...

Hi Rick,
2 weeks ago I sowed your seeds at my parents.
Here are the results

Gochu (on the right)

Chimayo

I have some seedlings from the other varieties, too.(Serrano, Jalapeno, Kapijas)
They are going to be transplanted into solo cups today.
Thank you for your generous offer, again :)
I am sitting on a train, and reading your 2012 glog to see how the Korean peppers will look like. Well, it was a bad idea... Your photos about the meals makes me hungry like hell! :))))))))))))
Keep posting the pics about your peppers and your recipes, so we can have a good reason to check the forum more frequently! :))
Balázs
Hi Balázs
Glad to see you had so many seeds pop! I'll do my humble best to keep the pics coming... ;) The Chimayo' chiles are actually a landrace variety of pepper from Northern New Mexico in the American southwest. Their home is up in the Sangre de Christo mountains at over 1,800 meters, so they're a short-season pepper like many of the Hungarian varieties. I think they should do well for you. Cheers!

Woohoo. jalachochus. Will be fun trying to figure out when to harvest them. These may be immature or not. Will find out gonna harvest the one turning red and see how it is compared to a jalapeño. How long are your gochus usually. And is it best red or green ?!
Had a taste test on the JaLagochu. Jalapeño taste ... No heat. I'll see as more pods develop.
Hi DeNNiZ
The Gochus vary somewhat between varieties. The Andy's were the longest at 6-7 inches long. None of the Gochus had any heat when green, but picked it up when fully ripened in the hot sun. Maybe they'll kick up in a month or so. When green, I used them like green bell peppers, chopping them up and using them in stir-fries or stuffing them in the Korean manner. I linked a video on how to make them to my 2012 glog if you're interested. They're really good with a dipping sauce made with Gochu powder, garlic, scallion, rice vinegar, soy sauce, dark sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds. Cheers!

All Rright Rick, finally got rid of all the white stuff on the ground and planted out. Let the fun begin.

gotta pick up a new load of boxes and I'm going to get your package out tomorrow while I off.
Thanks Bill
I'm looking forward to checking out your Warhorse sauce! I'm thinking it'll be great on Kielbasa! Things are really greening up now... the hardwoods are all blossoming and the amount of pollen in the air is incredible. It only makes me sneeze occasionally, but my wife is miserable. Her sinuses are stuffed and swollen, and the only thing that can clear them is sprinkling hot chile powder or hot sauce on her food, but an hour later she's back where she started.

Hi Rick... definately worth looking at. Temps here get as low as -5ºc at night on extreme cases. Sometimes we get black frost. I am worried about the real special plants, so I may still take them indoors. But I know all the thick skinned chillis will make it through the winter.
Good enough Lourens, I'm sure you know your local conditions and whether or not it'll work for you. Good luck with over wintering!

Rick,

Plants are holding their own and will go nuts soon. Are you going to get the cold front that's dropping down in these parts overnight? It's bringing us down to 42 on Sat.

I'm hoping it passes you by...
Hi Scott
I think we're good... and I hope the folks in "Tornado Alley" get through the spring in good shape. Cheers All!

Man, oh man, oh man! In the ground! Looks like things are going great. Love the hoop house. I have been thinking of something like that- for next year. I need a keeper warmer, sun shader, and hail helmet combo. BUT... We still need to finish the raised beds and add the planting mix--- and it needs to stop snowing! Last night was supposed to be in the 20s after it snowed all day. May Day, eh? I figure it will take a few years, if ever, to get things the way I want them. Then, we will move again! Hahaha

I like what you said about the chimayo's. I guess the geek in me is showing. I like to know the history of the plant. Seems like more history a variety has more I want one. But then again, you can't just have "just one more" chile plant. LOL

Michelle

Man, oh man, oh man! In the ground! Looks like things are going great. Love the hoop house. I have been thinking of something like that- for next year. I need a keeper warmer, sun shader, and hail helmet combo. BUT... We still need to finish the raised beds and add the planting mix--- and it needs to stop snowing! Last night was supposed to be in the 20s after it snowed all day. May Day, eh? I figure it will take a few years, if ever, to get things the way I want them. Then, we will move again! Hahaha

I like what you said about the chimayo's. I guess the geek in me is showing. I like to know the history of the plant. Seems like more history a variety has more I want one. But then again, you can't just have "just one more" chile plant. LOL

Michelle
Hi Michelle
At least you're getting water in the bank for later in the season, right? :party: For about the price of 2 #20 bags of organic fertilizer you can set up a 5x30 foot hoophouse like mine. Less than that if you know any plumbers or electricians who can give you 1/2 inch PVC or electrical conduit leftovers from some of their jobs.

Well, it's the first dawn patrol since I put my peppers and tomatoes outside. Yesterday I put up a mini hoophouse over a 4x10 foot raised bed in our south-facing backyard.
SANY0732_zpsff15c6a2.jpg

I planted the ornamental peppers and a couple of Chinense in there along with the transplanted Mache.

Aji Omnicolor
SANY0712_zps0e401587.jpg

SANY0713_zpsf556a9db.jpg

Chinese 5-Color
SANY0716_zpscd15e433.jpg

Peruvian Purple
SANY0715_zps7bc6c687.jpg

Chiero from SeanW
SANY0714_zpsb92a2a86.jpg

The rest are in the larger hoophouse in the garden. There's a little sunscald on the older leaves, but everything is looking great!

Guajillo
SANY0718_zps726f5c4b.jpg

Jamaican Hot Chocolate starting to blossom
SANY0719_zps56fa4f27.jpg

Gochus budding up
SANY0722_zpsed674cd4.jpg

This one's for you Shane... the Jalapeno Mucho Nacho
SANY0724_zps5a92bbc5.jpg

I have to go to work now, but will post more pics later. Cheers All!

I love "dawn patrol," but normally it's checking da surf and now a days all the peppers are getting all my attention as we're in da off season :/ Love dat garden look, great job on lay out and design .... You've been a photog'in mad man, great job on pics!

I love "dawn patrol," but normally it's checking da surf and now a days all the peppers are getting all my attention as we're in da off season :/ Love dat garden look, great job on lay out and design .... You've been a photog'in mad man, great job on pics!
Thanks Ramon... I've been trying to teach myself to do a better job with photography and my digital camera. I've had it for at least 5 years... I guess it's time to really figure out what it can do, eh?

More pics from the "Dawn Patrol"...

Almapaprika
SANY0720_zpsf253e6ab.jpg

Marconi Rosso
SANY0721_zps7412d5c5.jpg

Hungarian Tomato Pepper "Greygo"
SANY0723_zps5fe5f5af.jpg

A lankier Criolla Sella
SANY0725_zps848a33c1.jpg

Serrano Tampiqueno
SANY0726_zpsfcdbd56c.jpg

There's shots of my Tomato plants too, but I'll file them with the nons. Have a great weekend all!

Back