• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TheGreenChileMonster's 2017 GLOG

Now that it is almost time to plant out, I figured I'd start up my GLOG for the year. I've cut out almost all superhots this year, and am growing solely peppers I regularly cook with. Here is a link to my glog last year:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/60119-thegreenchilemonsters-2016-grow/

I did a good job documenting my grow last season, but I plan to give more regular updates this year. I'm growing more veggies this year too, so I needed to free up some space in my garden. Here is the list for the year. All of these are either OW plants or well established seedlings.

Aji Limo
Aji Mochero
Aji Amarillo
Aji Pacay
Aji Arnaucho
Aji Dulce
Aji Largo (Pubescens)
Aji Oro (Pubescens)
Rocoto Rojo Arequipeño
Rocoto Oculto
Red Peruvian Rocoto
Giant Red Rocoto
Giant Yellow Rocoto
Rocoto Peru Cusco
Mini Red Rocoto
Large Red Rocoto
Turbo Pube
Guatemalan Red Rocoto
Carolina Reaper

I'll start posting pics and updates as soon as I start planting out over the next few weeks. There may also be some veggie and home brew pics in this GLOG throughout the season.

I grabbbed a pic of a reaper pod this morning while watering my squash beds. This pod looks like a scorcher. There another 60 or so growing as well on this plant.

I'll be taking a bunch of pics this afternoon.

Attachments

• 20170702_093045.jpg
    20170702_093045.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 53
tctenten said:
The Aji Pacay...is it a late bud/bloomer? I have a plant from the seeds you sent, it is growing great, but the only plant showing no signs of buds.
Not really a late bloomer, but the plant does seem to get really huge before it grows pods. Mine is already podding up well, but it is an OW that I put outside in April.

Once it starts growing pods, they grow super fast, but then sit there for months to ripen. It's worth it though, they are my favorite Baccatum pods, aside from aji amarillo.

I'm so glad to see this black bumblebees again this Summer. They show up every year to my garden, and only go after the Pubescens flowers. These bees showed up very late last Summer, so it's nice to see them earlier this year. They really help to set rocoto pods.

You can see the bee flying in the bottom left of this photo, and going after it's favorite flower in the next photo.

Attachments

• 20170709_120746.jpg
    20170709_120746.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 20170709_120727.jpg
    20170709_120727.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 51
A couple of aji arnaucho plants. These pods are looking exactly like the ones I see the Peruvian chefs use on TV when cooking. The aji arnaucho I grew last year must have been crossed with something, but the ones I'm growing this year are definitely legit. The pods have a nice purple color to them on the upper part of the stem. I'm interested to see what their color change cycle will be.

Attachments

• 20170709_120555.jpg
    20170709_120555.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20170709_120527.jpg
    20170709_120527.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 48
Thegreenchilemonster said:
A couple of aji Mochero plants. Super productive chinense. The growth pattern reminds me a lot of aji limo, which is to be expected, since they are basically cousins.
Awesome! I'm glad those seeds turned out! How big are the pods turning out to be? The couple pods Garth gave me were tiny but he said they were grown in a very small pot. Crossing fingers that they turn yellow for you

Back