• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Tomato Talk

hello everyone,
I just love vine ripe maters,
they must be one of the most grown vegetables in the world.
below is herb ,lettuce,strawberry towers {background}
and tomato
rockhouseproduce9ly0.jpg

Grace Tomato {dutch hybrid}
rockhouseproduce15ff2.jpg

today i pinched suckers and trimmed the old stuff from the strawberries...everything in the Greenhouse has set fruit.
we have a few about baseball size and clusters with up to 8 in ea.
3 types of Tomatoes,Cucumbers,Strawberries
outdoors
we have emergence of radish we planted in march...

Lookin Good Man

pablo

Pam,

It's a beafsteak.

I added a 20 watt CFL light to the side today because Linda loves fried green tomatoes and has not had one since November. I need it to grow as quickly as possible. According to the calendar, Passover is April 20 so that gives it three weeks to mature - if I got it pollinated

Sort of strange - in my life I've helped grow thousands of tomato plants but it was always a stick them in the ground, plow them a couple of times and gather them when they get ripe. Never did I check them daily and usually not weekly once they started.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Pam,

Sort of strange - in my life I've helped grow thousands of tomato plants but it was always a stick them in the ground, plow them a couple of times and gather them when they get ripe. Never did I check them daily and usually not weekly once they started.

Heh, yeah, when it's work you don't care as much, but when it's a hobby, suddenly you want to supervise every single cellular division.

Tomatoes this year

Going to try some white ones this year so have 3 each of white beauty, great white and white brandywine. Roma, Gold heirloom,will have to have some cherry tomatoes and daughter got a pack of mixzed ones that she planted, took what she wanted and we get the rest, not sure what all will be growing but it should prove interesting. We grew tomatoes, peppers and herbs in homemade earth containers last year and they did great. Afdding more this year plus tilling up more ground. If I plant enough we won't have to mow right??

OK I had a trip planned, but it's a no go... now I have time to grow some toms! starting to store some seeds. chiles, too!

So you aren't coming to Canada Omri?
Do you grow any heirloom tomatos from your region? I was reading about Jerusalem Heirloom Tomato which looks like one worth trying.

Sadly not leaving the country for quite a while. it was more than just US-CA, but it's ok... now I have some more time for tomatoes!
I can't honestly say I heard of a 'Jerusalem Heirloom Tomato', but I'll look for it.

Im growin some Sprite tomatoes and beefsteak. the 1st sprout I seen stickin up on the 3rd day after plantin them, then 12 the next day :shocked:.

Got some of the beefsteak comin up now, my 1st year growin.. but im really hopin my Pepper seeds take off like this.

I'm starting to wonder about mine. I planted 108 seeds nine days ago and none have sprouted. The others I have planted took 3-5 days. Everything is basically the same - potting soil, how deep they were planted, amount of moisture. The only difference is the heat is turned off in the germinator, at least the waterbed heater. But temps have been much warmer and the lights put out some heat too. I need these seeds to sprout - I'll be planting by the end of May.

Mike

Got my Hillbilly tomatos and Orange tomatos at 3 sets of leaves only did 5 of each to leave room for some Italian Whites.
Dan

LET IT BURN

I got home today and made my rounds to check how my plantouts were doing...jalapenos in full sun were wilted, but will survive...all other plants seem to be doing well...looked in my cement farm at my tomatoes and I actually have about 15 tomatoes about the size of a 00 buckshot...wonder how long I am going to have to wait for vine fresh tomatoes...

^^^ I'm envious of you southerners. The forecasters are talking about snow - SNOW - this weekend. High's in the mid 40s, lows close to freezing. And I just sowed my lettuce and Mizuna. I hate it when this happens.

Mike

The wife was really good to me...I only thought she ordered me 2 but she got 4...wonder what shes got up her sleeve...

Back