• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

tsurrie's 2015 glog

so yeah, hey everybody... I just couldn't wait anymore
put some seeds in the dirt and we're good to go

me and my brother in law built this new "grow-box"
newgrowbox.jpg

I'm gonna put a fan or two in those holes .... to keep the humidity down when the box is going to be closed

this is how it looks now.... in my bedroom ... the wife said something about someone who's a little crazy but I don't know who she's talking about :rolleyes:
newgrowboxcups.jpg

so, this is what I'm growing this year:

Baccatum
  - Lemon drop (seeds from rghm1u20)
  - Brazilian Starfish (seeds from rghm1u20, added on february 12th)
  - Aji Brazilian Red Pumpkin (seeds from Rory, added on february 12th)

Chinense
  - Bhut Jolokia
  - Aji Umba
  - Fatalii yellow
  - Caribbean Red (seeds from rghm1u20)
  - Bonda ma Jacques (seeds from rghm1u20)
  - Chupetinho (seeds from rghm1u20)
  - Habanero White (seeds from rghm1u20)
  - MoA (seeds from rghm1u20, added on february 12h)
  - Moruga Red TS (seeds from ajijoe, sent to me by rghm1u20, added on february 12th)
  - Orange Lantern (seeds from Nulle, added on february 12th)
  - Devil's tounge (seeds from LuckyLuke, added on february 12th)
  - Dorset Naga (seeds from LuckyLuke, added on february 12th)
  - Habanero Chocolate (seeds from Nulle, added on february 13th)
  - Reaper (seeds from Zoli, added on february 13th)
  - Habanero Maya Red (seeds from Nulle, added on february 13th)
  - Habanero Brown (seeds from rghm1u20, added on february 13th)
  - 7pot Jonah (seeds from Nulle, added on february 13th)
  - 7pot BS Red (seeds from rghm1u20, added on february 13th)

Annum
  - Goatsweed
  - Cayenne
  - Thai (seeds from rghm1u20)
  - Jalapeno
  - Serrano (seeds from rghm1u20)
  - Fresno
  - Bolivian Rainbow
  - As chili
  - Bulgarian Carrot
  - Hungarian Hot Wax (added on february 4th)
  - Sigaretta Biondo  - sweet Cayenne style pepper (added on february 4th)
  - KINIZSI paprika from Hungary (seeds from Zoli, added on february 12th)
  - Cherry Bomb (seeds from Nulle, added on february 12th)
  - Apache (seeds from Rory, added on february 12th)
  - Golden Cayenne (seeds from LuckyLuke, added on february 13th)

Frutescens
  - Wild Lombok (seeds from rghm1u20)
  - Bangalore Torpedo (seeds from Rory, added on february 12th)

and also some sweet peppers, Kapija paprika and some classic bell peppers
Later on in the season, in march, I'm also going to start some tomatoes, lettuce and pumpkins .. but that's the whole other story :)

Now it's time to do some waiting .. let's hope they'll all gonna pop soon :party:

tsurrie said:
A little update on the growth, it's slowly progressing and some are looking nice

Aji Umba
ajiumba02042015.jpg

Goat's weed
goatsweed02042015.jpg

Kapija
kapija02042015.jpg

Chupetinho
chupetinho02042015.jpg

Caribbean Red Habanero
caribbeanred02042015.jpg

Bonda ma Jacqes
bondamajaques02042015.jpg

Bhut Jolokia
bhutjolokia02042015.jpg

Brazilian Red Pumpkin
brazilredpumpki02042015.jpg

Cherry bomb
cherrybomb02042015.jpg

Lemon Drop
lemondrop02042015.jpg

The last transplanted seedlings are all in the box
thelasttransplants020420.jpg

They all seem to grow, some faster and some a lot slower. Wild Lombok is refusing to grow, it looks thirsty but it's really not.. leaves are yellowing.. is there harder to grow  Frutescens or am I missing something? Thinking of adding just a little fertilizer into next watering which is said to be pure organic and based on algae extract....
Still thinking of Serranos... should I do it ? If it's a big producer, it would also be ideal for giving it to friends, because the pods aren't so hot.
beautiful with the l.e.d. background!

Your plants look like they are diggin' the box, Uros!
All look nice and healthy.  The Goat's Weed should
be covered with fuzz and have light-to-medium
green foliage at some point.

Glad you planted some Aji Seeds - looks like they
came up pretty well for you.  They are one of my
favorites, for sure.  

PaulG said:
Your plants look like they are diggin' the box, Uros!
All look nice and healthy.  The Goat's Weed should
be covered with fuzz and have light-to-medium
green foliage at some point.

Glad you planted some Aji Seeds - looks like they
came up pretty well for you.  They are one of my
favorites, for sure.  

Thanks Paul. I am pleased by the grow so far.
I checked the pictures from last year and Goat's Weed was starting to show fuzz when it was already transplanted outside. Maybe I had smaller plants last year... I sure would like to have it grow true.. it is such a beautiful plant. I hope it isn't crossed so much it won't look like Goat's Weed :confused:

I hope your Aji's will grow nicely.. I'm gonna transplant them into individual pots sometime this following week. I think every single seed sprouted.

newril said:
Nice grow boxes and plants:) when will you be able to move them to the outdoor greenhouse?
thanks newril

I will maybe move them into the greenhouse by the end of the month to harden them off, but after that they will go directly on the garden (I'll make a roof to protect them from storms) and into pots (for the balcony and around the garden). The rest are going away to friends and others close by who might be interested.

The greenhouse is usually filled with tomatoes and sweet peppers. And other veggies my mother likes to grow. She crowds the place up so I rather make some extra roofs to make a more comfortable enviroment ;)

Nice babies! You must have a vast area to grow all these as full-grown chilis. Hope you´ll get a mighty crop to struggle down the throat.
Good photos!

Noah Yates said:
OOOOOOoooOOOoo!!!! I like the color of that lighting...  beautiful pictures and healthy plant!!

thanks man ... it's just blue and red LED lights I have in a grow box and two extra shelves
I'm doing as less as possible, to keep them healthy :) I always check on them and that often leads to overwatering if not careful

Bluesman said:
 Nice babies! You must have a vast area to grow all these as full-grown chilis. Hope you´ll get a mighty crop to struggle down the throat.
Good photos!

thanks! I wish I had room for all of them. I really can't get so much garden space. Gonna grow just a quarter or so by myself (garden and pots), others are going to be adopted by friends and family. I'm gonna experiment this year to see how some of them taste, and then see what I'll be growing next season. Last year I had much less plants but still enough crop to enjoy them every day... I have enough dried pods and some pickled. Also got some more Bhut's in the freezer to make a sauce....

Got a small edema case on two of my Serrano's, they got bunch of tiny bumps on the underside of leaves... so I moved them closer to the fan and I hope it will get better soon... I'm worried it might be pests, but what I've seen on some other posts here, it's edema.

I was checking on my plants today and the Goats weed are starting to show some light fuzz now
goatsweed14042015.jpg

Thai and some others are thinking of blooming - what's the case here... do I let them or pinch 'em off
thaiblooming14042015.jpg

got a visitor on one of my Kapijas ... don't really know what kind of spider this is... do I remove it or let it be?
kapijavisitor14042015.jpg

Serrano's are becoming beasts... so much branching, I've seen this on topped plants.. but these were not touched yet
serrano14042015.jpg

The box is getting crowded... I should put some of them out soon to give the others some space. Maybe it's time to start hardening off the biggest plants in the greenhouse... but the temps outside are still close to 0° in the morning and I wouldn't like to fry my best growing plants at this point
crowdedbox14042015.jpg

I'm hardening the plants already or should I say I'm trying to get them feel as much sun and wind as I can ... this is my balcony with almost half of them
hardeningoff19042015.jpg

I got some of them out to early in the morning, so I had a few "shocked ones" from the cold (wilted couz it was around 5°C) ... I got pretty damn angry at myself for doing that and then got them inside to recover
wilted19042015.jpg

They were much better when I returned from hiking, recovered 100% ---> but got to remember not to do extreme hardening off too often
recovered19042015.jpg

the grow box is not crowded anymore, since a lot of plants are following the sun around already (got them in trays to easily move them around)
theboxy19042015.jpg

They are getting bigger so I hope they'll grow enough in the next two weeks, and then it's planting time :dance:
theboxx19042015.jpg

extra shelve I. (yeah some are still small - those are Aji Amarillo's from PaulG, which I sowed not so long ago)
shelveone19042015.jpg

extra shelve II.
shelvetwo19042015.jpg

It's been a nice and good start of the season for me this year, been dealing mainly with the lack of space and some minor edema issues. Also got some early flowering but it seems a lot of us can't avoid that... some of the plants just seems to be in a hurry
flowerone19042015.jpg

They are beautiful to look at... flowers or not. Peppers are a work of art ;)
flowertwo19042015.jpg

Got also some pictures from hiking today with my wife... kids were at relatives for a few hours so we took the time to get some air .. it was beautiful couple of hours
Got to see how the spring is waking the forest up...
hikingflowersone19042015.jpg

look at those wild flowers
hikingflowerstwo19042015.jpg

and the view (down there is the city I'm from)
hikingviewone19042015.jpg

hikingviewtwo19042015.jpg

hikingviewthree19042015.jpg

hikingviewfour19042015.jpg

It was a beautiful weather and a nice weekend.
Got the rain and even snow yesterday up there, but there is no trace of it left.

Bumper said:
That is an incredible part of the world you are living in, just stunning.  Great photos.  

It's just the surrounding hills above our city.. when I look the pictures of the other folks up here, they all seem to live in a great part of the world... it's beautiful everywhere
I'm just glad I'm able to be in the forest in few minutes and having that view in an hour
thanks, photos were taken with a small pocket Canon camera ;)

Noah Yates said:
That is beautiful land!!!!  I would love to own about 1000 acres of that kind of land someday.  When my ship comes in...

Ha, I would love to own some too... there is a farm near here owned by my uncle and it's where I spent a good portion of my summer holidays when I was around 10, 11, 12 years old.. it was great .. but the season for growing is much shorter up here... the name of the hill literaly translates to "Cold Peak" :):)

rghm1u20 said:
Hehehey! I lost a lot of great pictures, man! I should visit your glog more often! Great pictures, great plants! Waiting to see your harvest!

Hey man, good to be hearing from you. I've seen your update, you were gone for a long time. Please do visit more often, I'm trying to update as frequently as I can, when significant changes happen... so I will be able to look back in future seasons for some pointers :)
Oh, the harvest is still far away. But I managed to prepare the garden today... will post a picture when I get a chance.

Thanks everyone!

A quick update... temps are said to be around 10°C in the mornings from now on... I really hope so.

Just got over the first wave .. planted 28 plants into pots
wave1pots07052015.jpg

There are:
  2 Bhut Jolokias
  2 Goatweeds
  2 Aji umbas
  1 Serrano
  1 Thai
  1 Caribbean Red Hab.
  1 Bonda ma Jacques
  1 Chupetinho
  1 Habanero Chocolate
  1 As chili
  1 Dorset Naga
  1 Devil's Tounge
  1 Moruga Red TS
  1 7pot BS Red
  1 7pot Jonah
  1 Reaper
  1 Apache
  1 Aji Brazilian Starfish
  1 Aji Brazillian Red Pumpkin
  1 Bangalore Torpedo
  1 Hungarian Hot Wax
  1 Cayenne Golden
  1 Cherry Bomb
  1 Orange Lantern
  1 Lemon Drop

I'm gonna let them right there over night and then we'll see how they adapt... I'll have to protect them some from full sun. It gets pretty damn hot now on a sunny day.
Gonna get some more pots in coming days to plant some more, the rest are going to the garden...

I also planted one Chocolate Habanero by the old garden I'm taking care of for the second year now -- will take picture as soon as I plant some stuff
It's in the bigest "pot" I could find... I think it's about 12gal pot, judging by the amount of soil I had to put in compared to my 5gal's
habchoco07052015.jpg

I hope it will get big!

So that's the old garden I was writing about... trying to grow here for the second season... last year was quite good, grew a lot of tomatoes and Kapija's here, but I was not satisfied with carrots and beans... So I'm gonna focus more on tomatoes and peppers, some pumpkins and beet ...
The garden is by the old house no one lives in. There was a nice old lady I knew, but she passed a few years back.

oldgarden09052015.jpg

Today I planted about 10 tomatoes and a few kapija's under that roof ... more tomatoes, peppers and the other things will follow... I have a feeling I'm gonna grow a lot of peppers here in the end, since I almost ran out of pots and garden space at home.

Sweet bell peppers, kapijas and sweet peppers spot on the garden at home.
Will also plant a lot of hot peppers (got 30 on my mind) on the old garden from the upper photo, but I need to put up a protective net first (there is a storm warning for today).
kapijasbellssweet1405201.jpg

Got mostly tomatoes planted in the greenhouse, me and my little helper checked if everything was ok today...
greenhousetomatoes140520.jpg

The balcony is a lot more loaded than last year :)
Got 20 pots there, on the south side of the house...
my only concern today is the predicted storms and very hard sun that keeps on burning the plants... will see how it goes
balconpots14052015.jpg

A lot of plants are still waiting for planting and a lot are going away to the folks I know. Got them all on the other balcony, they need to harden off ... time is ticking away
seedlings1-14052015.jpg

seedlings2-14052015.jpg

seedlings3-14052015.jpg

Well, I was sick this week and couldn't prepare the garden as I hoped ... got fever and all my neck, arm and leg muscles hurt like hell, I couldn't even open a jar of peppers for dinner and had my wife to do it for me :( ... that sucked .. the doctor said it was some kind of infection... a virus.. who knows .... but I feel better now

To forget I'm late on the garden thing... I took some frozen Bhuts out today and made a sauce ... I almost ran out of previous one so it was about time... fresh peppers still have a long way to go

I prepared all of the ingredients.... it sucks not having fresh tomatoes, so I used store bought tomato sauce, homemade apple vinegar, salt, sugar and all the stuff from the picture below
bhutsauce122052015.jpg

Sliced and diced and heated it up...
bhutsauce222052015.jpg

Mashed it all with a hand blender...
bhutsauce322052015.jpg

And put it in the bottles and little jars...
bhutsauce422052015.jpg

This is gonna be so good in a bout a month... mmmmmmm

Gave away about 50 plants these days.. they got a new home at friends gardens... So at least I did something while I was sick.
Still have to put the protective net up above the garden (to protect the peppers from hail) and plant all of the pepper seedlings I still have waiting ... it's about time, I'm already running late...I hope there's gonna be a chance this weekend, but the rain and storms are predicted.. we'll see.... If I manage to pull it off, I'll do an update in a couple of days.

A little update....
I managed to put stakes into all the pepper pots. Also gave away about 20 more plants to my cousin. Another happy chili head :)

We've put up the protective net over the garden pepper patch yesterday, and today I've planted 45 pepper plants on that patch. Here's the pic... the soil was so wet because it rained just before. The net has yet to be fully fixed... must do it ASAP.
pepperpatch26052015.jpg

Here's the map...
gardenchilimap26052015.jpg

Still have plenty of plants, so I'll probably put some more out there... I just hope it won't get too crowded...
I really worry about the snails... I can already hear them chewing on those beautiful crunchy leaves :( Man I hate snails.
My cousin said there are no snails above certain elevation point (altitude) --- he's about 800 meters above the sea level and claims he has no snails on the garden. Lucky bastard :)

Back