• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Vegas's Glog... Aerogarden is a success! Winter preparations are almost set!

Ok here we go, this will be my first year growing chilies. I've already started, but I needed a place to document so here's my list:

-7 pot white (Old Barn Nursery)
-7 pot yellow (SanPatricio)
-7 pot red (SanPatricio)
-7pot Jonah (SanPatricio)
-El oro de Ecuador ( Old Barn Nursery)
-Thai white (CG, Squash1544)
-Caribbean red habanero ( Old Barn Nursery)
-Choco habanero ( Old Barn Nursery)
-habanero red/yellow (Burpee® seed pack)
-Brown bhut (SanPatricio)
-Peach bhut/scorpion mixed seeds (SanPatricio)
-Thai hot (cousin's nursery)
-White habanero (eBay, award winning seed)
-Trinidad perfume ( Old Barn Nursery)
-Tepin (store pods)
-Pequin (store pods)

Wanted :

-Choco bonnet
-Choco hand grenade (ajijoe)
-Peach habanero
-Lemon habanero
-Jamaican Scotch bonnet

That's about it. If anyone has seeds that I want PM me or post. I have seeds that I can trade. I'll probably do PayPal, only if I can't really get them or they're hard to obtain. Thanks for looking.

,Vegas

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Who knows I was just there I April and cinco de mayo weekend. So may be awhile

What!? Dang we should've hung out. I have lots of seedlings, so next time you come I will probably have pods or something to share and we can kick it. Lmk next time you want to come. 

Devv said:
Nice update!

Plants are looking very nice. Are you planting out in containers?

Yes sir! All in pots. I live in a small apartment and I've yet to sort out what I'll be keeping. Most are gona be 5 gal. and I have a few 15's and a couple of 18's that will be left at a friends house. It's my first year growing so I don't know how it's gonna turn out. I gotta run to your glog, I want see that shade up. I have an internet TV which makes easier to type.

Hoping to update later, most of the seedlings that were yellow are showing new growth and looking greener, Thanks to PIC 1 for the advice on putting more soil at the bottom of the cup.

,Vegas

This is the first time I'm using any containers, I have one of each set aside. So far the ones in the dirt are doing better, it's a learning experience for sure.

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
wake up!!!.. updates
Thanks for the Bump King!!!

I just haven't been feeling good this last few weeks, I just have too much to do. I just start getting stress and then I just don't feel well to do anything....

Anyway the last few days I did a few pot ups, but I'm not done yet, so there will be more after this update.

Ok, so I really wanted to give it a go on the organic stuff, as I always love the challenge and to learn new things.

I got tomato tone from Espoma, and I mixed about 1/2 cup for every 3 gal pot per pot up.

I also added 1/2 cup of worm castings, 1/3 cup of that Jobe's organics soil amendment (NPK 4-4-4).

As for the soil it was about 50/50 of perlite and organic soil.

Here's a few pics of the pot ups.

Left: Choco Bhut
Right: Brainstrain Yellow

20130603_204604.jpg

Left: Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend
Right: 7 Pot CARDI

20130603_204616.jpg

7 Pot Yellow

20130603_204643.jpg

Choco Habajolokia

20130603_204701.jpg

I'll have more as soon as I get more soil and have time to pot up some more. I'll be selling a few locally to recover funds on just to support this hobby, freebie with every purchase as a thank you for your support.

, Walter

Devv said:
Plants look nice and healthy!

The likes police have me down this evening, will be back :party:
GA Growhead said:
Plant to look happy and green!
Thanks guys!

I started at chem fertilizer and I liked it and now most if not all are being grown organic. I like organic now for the fact that it's just more simple and cheap and plants love it. I did buy a few items because I don't have the space for a compost bin, but compost tea is nice tho :D.

Jason here are my big bangs not as big as yours but the leaves definitely look alike.

20130606_210212.jpg

20130606_210202.jpg

Scott need a lawyer? Lol j/k.

Here's one issue... I really envy all you guys with lots of space and sweet setups. Too bad this is what my place looks like. I'm gona start giving some away and try to sell some or whatever, but it needs to happen.

20130605_170603.jpg

20130605_170714.jpg

Here's at my door, my wife is gona kill me when we won't be able to get thru these when they get big. :fireball:

20130606_212357.jpg

, Walter

Walter, you have some plants there! The big bangs leaf shape are very similar. Mine are growing like crazy now! Well.. the whole garden is taking off.
I feel you on space. I definitely maxed out my area with too many plants. I'm growing pepper hedges!
You alway can keep the plants trimmed back on your front walkway there, kinda like a tunnel. :) What do you got lined up there?

GA Growhead said:
Walter, you have some plants there! The big bangs leaf shape are very similar. Mine are growing like crazy now! Well.. the whole garden is taking off.
I feel you on space. I definitely maxed out my area with too many plants. I'm growing pepper hedges!
You alway can keep the plants trimmed back on your front walkway there, kinda like a tunnel. :) What do you got lined up there?
Thanks, well front to back are:

-Brainstrain Yellow
-TSMB
-Choco Bhut
-Choco Habajolokia
-7 Pot Yellow (5gal.)
-7 Pot CARDI

I'm probably gona leave em like that or I might put some in 15gal. and put em at my sister's house. I do have 2 18gal. Pots tho. 1 is for the choco big bangs, and 1 for the choco habajolokia, the choco bhut or bhut indian carbon. So I'm not ver sure.

Have any suggestions on which should get the 18gal? Take a peek at my grow list, and lmk which one would be nice in a 18gal.

,Walter

I would think one the trindads should go in the 18g. The 7s, brains & scorps grew the tallest for me. They may benefit. Or whatever you eant the most pods of, cause im sure whatever you choose will become a monster!

This bums me..... This is crap climate, and worst yet I think I even had bad timing to start my seeds. I started some in January and those seem to be about right. I have plant almost stripped from it's leaves from the heat. Oh well it's my first yeah for learning...

Screenshot_2013-06-08-16-09-23.png

,Walter

Eighties for a low temp sucks here because of the high humidity. Atleast you have drier air on your side! I don't want to have anything to do with those highs though! 112°f! Yikes!

GA Growhead said:
Eighties for a low temp sucks here because of the high humidity. Atleast you have drier air on your side! I don't want to have anything to do with those highs though! 112°f! Yikes!
I know what you mean, I used to live in tropical climate. I only live here because I pretty know most of Vegas and I have LOTS of family here, I guess I have to start my clan in a different place other than here.

These are the ones I'm talking about. I bet my cojones they won't last another day in some morning sun. They Just sit in the shade/partial sun til it cools down and it's just tge begging of summer....

20130608_214330.jpg

20130608_214338.jpg

, Walter

With that heat it has to be hard to keep those babies hydrated.

I've been in Vegas in June, was 109 that week, kept pounding water and it never seemed to satisfy.

Which makes me think, I wonder if they make a mist machine for plants?

They sure work well on the strip...

GA Growhead said:
Damn.. that sucks. Can you hook up a misting solution? Have it turn on and off a couple times during the day?
I been looking for a solution, and I have an idea. Lmk what you think.

Ok, I'm thinking about having a 5 gal. bucket with a pond pump and make some kind of a connection to be able to hook up a misting setup. I seen people say " oh man the pressure is gona kill the pump pretty quick" so I'm thinking of making it recirculate to avoid the big pressure on the line. Seriously I would brew some tea and just distribute that way!

That's just an idea tho, all I need is the dough, time, and wifey's approval. Lol....

Let's do another rig, I love experiments.
Devv said:
With that heat it has to be hard to keep those babies hydrated.

I've been in Vegas in June, was 109 that week, kept pounding water and it never seemed to satisfy.

Which makes me think, I wonder if they make a mist machine for plants?

They sure work well on the strip...
I know man... lucky I work night shift, but dangggg it's still hot as heck inside the freakin factory. I drink about 2 gallons of water in my 8hr. shift.

Oh man, the strip.... That will make you forget how hot it really is. I mean you'll be checking out the women, and you'll be like dangggggg!!! Would feel like paradise despite the weather. Lol...

,Walter

I am thinking about making a fan misting system but I just put them under lights when it exceeds 105 so pretty much they are under lights all this week

Nothing exciting, I just want to show a toy I gifted myself for father's day. I got it on craigslist for $25...

IMG-20130617-WA0017.jpg

IMG-20130617-WA0018.jpg

IMG-20130617-WA0019.jpg

It looks super clean like if they only used it once. Books, manuals, everything except lights, plastic sponge holders lol. I'm gona try to get it working sometime this week. All I need is figure out the lighting, if it's better to get an adapter and run any 6400K light or buy the actual Aerogarden light which I really wouldn't want. Idk we'll see, I'm open to suggestions from the aerogarden users in this forum.

, Walter

Been in the 80's/90's here up north, and the single digit humidity and wind are seriously stressing the peppers.
But at leat at 5300' it cools down nice at night, and I have a partially shady spot to grow.
A cheap mister on a timer sounds like a good idea to try in the devils oven.

I am letting mine stay in the dirt, to see which grow well in my climate---so I don't wast time trying to grow those that are just to picky to live here.

You will LOVE the aerogarden---especially the 66 spot starter------or make one yourself out of a styro cooler lid.

You won't get 7 full grown peppers in it though. 3 or 4 max with supports, and the roots will clog the pump and fill the res so daily refilling is necessary.

Got 2 of them (aerogarden 7's) so---been there, done that.

I had better luck with big indoor peppers starting them in the AG, and moving them to a ghetto hydro (a 10 gallon tub from wallmart, a cheap aquarium air pump and long stone from the same) when I could still get the roots out of the little AG hole.

Now, they will be used primarily as my "dream" seed starter.
66 spots in the AG, 54 spots outside to put them in.

If I ever get 100% germination on them, I can "aquire" a few spots the wife won't mind too much. :pray:

Back