• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Vegas's Glog... Aerogarden is a success! Winter preparations are almost set!

Ok here we go, this will be my first year growing chilies. I've already started, but I needed a place to document so here's my list:

-7 pot white (Old Barn Nursery)
-7 pot yellow (SanPatricio)
-7 pot red (SanPatricio)
-7pot Jonah (SanPatricio)
-El oro de Ecuador ( Old Barn Nursery)
-Thai white (CG, Squash1544)
-Caribbean red habanero ( Old Barn Nursery)
-Choco habanero ( Old Barn Nursery)
-habanero red/yellow (Burpee® seed pack)
-Brown bhut (SanPatricio)
-Peach bhut/scorpion mixed seeds (SanPatricio)
-Thai hot (cousin's nursery)
-White habanero (eBay, award winning seed)
-Trinidad perfume ( Old Barn Nursery)
-Tepin (store pods)
-Pequin (store pods)

Wanted :

-Choco bonnet
-Choco hand grenade (ajijoe)
-Peach habanero
-Lemon habanero
-Jamaican Scotch bonnet

That's about it. If anyone has seeds that I want PM me or post. I have seeds that I can trade. I'll probably do PayPal, only if I can't really get them or they're hard to obtain. Thanks for looking.

,Vegas

Gotrox said:
Been in the 80's/90's here up north, and the single digit humidity and wind are seriously stressing the peppers.
But at leat at 5300' it cools down nice at night, and I have a partially shady spot to grow.
A cheap mister on a timer sounds like a good idea to try in the devils oven.

I am letting mine stay in the dirt, to see which grow well in my climate---so I don't wast time trying to grow those that are just to picky to live here.

You will LOVE the aerogarden---especially the 66 spot starter------or make one yourself out of a styro cooler lid.

You won't get 7 full grown peppers in it though. 3 or 4 max with supports, and the roots will clog the pump and fill the res so daily refilling is necessary.

Got 2 of them (aerogarden 7's) so---been there, done that.

I had better luck with big indoor peppers starting them in the AG, and moving them to a ghetto hydro (a 10 gallon tub from wallmart, a cheap aquarium air pump and long stone from the same) when I could still get the roots out of the little AG hole.

Now, they will be used primarily as my "dream" seed starter.
66 spots in the AG, 54 spots outside to put them in.

If I ever get 100% germination on them, I can "aquire" a few spots the wife won't mind too much. :pray:
Thanks man! Here heat is a real biatch. I'm almost thinking of just keeping a "few" plants indoors in a hydro setup. I'm thinking about it too because electricity is also a biatch lol...

I've seen many people online doing peppers in the aerogarden and despite the size they do get pods even bells. That would be nice, but also a nice hydro setup would be cool. I'm doing research right now, if you have have any advice or stuff like common mistakes lmk lol.

Here's what I mean.... some of my plants are really stressed out and most are just stunted... oh well next season I'll try a head start in December ;).

Screenshot_2013-06-29-18-11-44-1.png

Fuark this! I need to move, not only for being able to keep a garden, but seriously you wouldn't want to be walking out in the "oven" and drink water like crazy with no satisfaction. I see peeps here say "mid 90's 100" I can live like that but not like this retarted weather....

I won't be updating till the weather cools off or I get a good turn for something good. Thanks to all who posted and gave advice, :drunk:.

,Walter
Nightshade said:
I am thinking about making a fan misting system but I just put them under lights when it exceeds 105 so pretty much they are under lights all this week
I'm looking into this and hopefully I come up with something. It's not easy for me since I live in a apartment. How about you? How are your plants doing and what's your setup like?

, Walter

Walter,

Crazy growing conditions you have there!

It was 105 here today, but that's a freak (I hope!).

Keep on reading and learning! I know you'll pull it off!

Scott

Devv said:
Walter,

Crazy growing conditions you have there!

It was 105 here today, but that's a freak (I hope!).

Keep on reading and learning! I know you'll pull it off!

Scott
I've learned a lot here on THP thanks to you guys. My only problem is that I don't have space outdoors to make something like yours. Your setup is killer as a lot others. Vegas is just garbage for living, too damn hot, and dry. I used tk live in Mexico in a more tropical region on a beach of south Jalisco. I would go back, but there's hardly any work down there and you can never live there I you would here (availability of anything). We'll see what happens, I'm currently researching on how to make a automatic misting system.

, Walter

GA Growhead said:
DAMN thats :hot:!
First pod on a choc big bang. Live vicarious thru me!
Lol what's vicarious? That's cool man, I been checking out your glog, and whoa looks like your plants are on crack! Lots of pleasing heat (vegas is the unpleasant heat lol). Here's an update on the heat.... it's extending longer and longer.... BTW the choco big bangs are some of the ones liking the heat, most are all wilted and stressed but not the big bangs. If I don't get pods they the first on my list for overwinters :D.

Here's what's going on...

IMG_20130630_185240.jpg

Screenshot_2013-06-30-18-55-47.png

I'm taking a few pics to show somethins. Ok now who wants warm weather? I can send as much as you like!

, Walter

I found out that the wally bags are for me or at least those type of bags. Despite the hell hot weather I put these down to get more sun as they were in the shade because I lost a couple of biggest plants both the peach habanero and el oro de Ecuador, so I kept most in the shade with a couple hours of morning sun.

Now the funny part is that I was expecting these to at least drop a few leaves or just die, but no these actually started growing again! After being stunted for a while they're kicking @ss again, but in 110º+ weather? Now that's something. I'm gona lay a few in the cloner to attemp foggaponic, and the rest are going in wally bags.

Bhut Carbon. Close up is from new growth coming in.

20130701_173118.jpg

20130701_173124.jpg

Bhut yellow.

20130701_173134.jpg

Choco Hab.

20130701_173146.jpg

Peach Hab. With some minor burned leaves.

20130701_173157.jpg

So far these are the only ones in these bags. Another thing I been doing is soaking the outside of the bags in the morning, around 3pm, and sometimes at night before I go to work. Now I need more soil and more wally bags :D .

, Walter

Choco "big bang" Naga went in the Wally bag yesterday. I know it's hot now but I haven't given up yet.

20130702_212056.jpg

I also bought a lil bit more Wally bags.

IMG-20130702-WA0004.jpg

Peach bhut breaking out. In the Aerogarden.

20130701_153436.jpg

Once I get more soil I will update with the bagged up ones, and just give away the rest.

,Walter

Looking good Walter,I am glad you found a solution for the temps their :)..hope the aeroponics does good for you. I like the looks of your soil in the wally bags plants are looking good keep up the good hard work ;)..

Bryan

Sali said:
Looking good Walter,I am glad you found a solution for the temps their :)..hope the aeroponics does good for you. I like the looks of your soil in the wally bags plants are looking good keep up the good hard work ;)..

Bryan
Hey Bryan! Thanks for stopping by man! I think the aerogarden is gona work out nicely. My peach bhut sprouted at 9 days and I now have a Jamaican hot chocolate hooking at 12 days now that's a record for me ;) . Pics of some new "bag ups" and aerogarden.

Pots are my enemy, most were in the shade and just started to drop leaves, the choco bhut, yellow brain, and the tsmb....

Burgundy bonnet. (Megaspokaneman)

20130706_143010.jpg

Yellow Brainstrain. This one was on the verge of death, and I still transplanted to a wally bag and in about 3 days it's showing the start of new growth.

20130706_143318.jpg

Choco "big bang" is liking the bag and it's showing new growth already.

20130706_143355.jpg

Choco Bhut... I did this just to test and see if I can actually save them from the heat and once recovered it's going in a wally bag lol....

20130706_143625.jpg

New growth.

20130706_143601.jpg

Now for the aerogarden, I made a frame to hold the LED panel.

20130706_131444.jpg

Peach bhut popped at 9 days.

20130706_081246.jpg

Purple petra basil.

20130705_063848.jpg

Jamaican hot chocolate. Today at 12 days ;).

20130706_081356.jpg

, Walter

Peptacular said:
Wow that is ridiculously hot. Glad you've found a solution! And grats on the hydro rig, sounds like a steal at 25 bucks.
Thanks for stopping by Peptacular! I'm starting to think I need to start earlier for next year and GET those wally bags. I lost a 7 pot white, 7 pot yellow, 7 pot CARDI, El oro de Ecuador, white hab, and a very nice one that came out of a burpee pack that I think it was same as the peach hab. All uniform pods and no variation, oh well that's my first year trying in the devil's lair.

I'm also thinking of doing an aeroponic setup for this winter or something to get pods and transfer to soil to start more, and be readyy with mature plants in the spring so by the time the devil starts to cook up sinful Vegas, I should get some harvest and if the plants survive the heat I think I should get some more once it cools down.

, Walter

Aerogarden update. Both peach bhut and Jamaican hot chocolate seem to be doing good.

I also got another Aerogarden for $23! Pics once it's running!

Peach bhut.

20130712_195745.jpg

Jamaican hot chocolate.

20130712_195320.jpg

, Walter

Mild update, the Aerogarden is working real nice. I also started a hydro experiment, and I hope I can dial it in or make it work. I also cleaned the new Aerogarden and I just need to fill it up and sow. Pics.

Aerogarden #2 (don't mind the mess :D)

20130715_102851.jpg

Progress on Aerogarden #1.

Peach bhut.

20130717_071651.jpg

Jamaican hot chocolate.

20130717_071716.jpg

Purple Petra basil.

20130717_071742.jpg

Hydro experiment. (TS CARDI)

20130717_072137.jpg

, Walter

Dayummmm!!! I got the box I won at the giveaway that HH did to celebrate the birth of his daughter Madison Emiliah. Congrats again man!

Special thanks to KINGDENNIZ for sending me a box and the BUBBLEGUM!!

I tried the the BUBBLEGUM as you might suspected and it was HOT, the way I describe it is.

-strong aroma.
-very sweet or fruity the first seconds.
-back of the tounge burn. :mouthonfire:
-heat creeping if I'm not eating anything.
-my tongue went numb. :fireball: :fireball: :fireball:
-cramps....

:party: Overall I loved it, even after eating it I was sweating and burned. Now I must try the rest. :party:

Pic of the box.

20130718_134130.jpg

I also called a good friend of mine, to come over so I can give him part of the box. Gotta share the heat and with what I kept I have more than enough to keep tasting and what not.

Here's a pic of the BUBBLEGUM.

20130718_144925.jpg

This, I have no clue what it is but it looks gnarly. Naga-brain?

20130718_143306.jpg

, Walter

Nope might me Melissa's choco scorp. Couldn't sed any naga brains as I only had 4 pods. Glad you can share. That big red one is Tobago. Some season peppers. Overall a box from hell Congo (red ones ) two 7 whites an large brain from my plant. Enjoy

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Nope might me Melissa's choco scorp. Couldn't sed any naga brains as I only had 4 pods. Glad you can share. That big red one is Tobago. Some season peppers. Overall a box from hell Congo (red ones ) two 7 whites an large brain from my plant. Enjoy
Nice to know, I'm really enjoying the box.

So as something unexpected happened... the second Aerogarden took a dump on me.. so I decided to ditch it, but I found a better deal.

I got an Aerogarden Extra, comes already with the extended arm and it came with the seed starter Styrofoam tray to start seed and extra sponges.

20130720_190243.jpg

20130720_213842.jpg

I'm amazed on how fast they're growing. Here's a few pics of the progress.
Peach bhut.

20130720_194806.jpg

Jamaican hot chocolate.

20130720_194740.jpg

Purple Petra basil.

20130720_190744.jpg

New Aerogarden, and on this one I have:

-MoA
-Rocoto Guatemala orange
-Choco Bhut.
-4X Bubblegum 7

20130720_223902.jpg

20130720_223908.jpg

, Walter

Nothing much going on, I just have to say that the hydro thing is actually working out nice.

Right now I'm using the Aerogarden nutes to finish them off and soon I'll be using GH nutes if I can't find jungle juice. Any recommendations are welcome and post a pic if you want of "x" plant in "x" nutes.

Trinidad Scorpion CARDI. 7/17/2013

20130717_072137.jpg

Today. 7/25/2013

20130725_195715.jpg

20130725_195829.jpg

Choco "Big Bang" Naga. 7/25/2013

20130725_195326.jpg

, Walter

Devv said:
Looking very nice!

I'm thinking with timing you'll be loading up on pods as the weather cools.

Keep up the great work!
Thanks Scott ! I'm giving up on the outdoor grow. I'm now getting good results indoor. So basically I'm just preping for fall/winter til I can give it a earlier shot next season and get pods sooner. We'll see what happens ;).

Mild update, everything is coming along. I've given up on outdoor grow til next season. On the other hand the hydro attempt is coming in nicely and almost making me want to give up on dirt.... anyway here's a few pics.

Peach bhut.(Smokemaster)

20130731_154758.jpg

Jamaican hot chocolate.(hydro store guy).

20130731_154842.jpg

Chocolate habajolokia.(Bonnie's swap)

20130731_154641.jpg

Chocolate bhut.(Bonnie's swap)

20130731_154729.jpg

MoA :D. ( Steve)

20130731_140307.jpg

Bubblegum 7. (KINGDENNIZ)

20130731_154615.jpg

, Walter

Back