• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! JERK THROWDOWN INDEPENDENCE WEEKEND

Who's the best JERK? Does not need to be 100% authenic, originality and awesomeness+

• Pepperfreak's Jamaican Jerk Grilled Kabobs

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • THP's Bloody Jerk

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • JayT's Jerk Surf and Turf

• Quad's Jerk-Seasoned Fish Cakes w/ ApricotMangoHab Chutney

• Bam's First Jerk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Passow Thinks Bugs Bunny is a Jerk

• TB's Notorious Jerk Chicken

• Omri's Stew for Drunks

• SumOfMyBits Jerked Chicken Nuts

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • frydad4's Jerked and Pulled Pork with Coco Bread and Jicama Slaw

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • AJ's Jamaican Jerk Pork Loin South Mississippi Style

• SumOfMyBits Spatch-Cocked The Right Way

• Pepperfreak's Jerk Chicken

• Fivestar's Jerk Spread

• THP's Jerk In A Skirt w/Jerk Yuca Fries

• TB's Jerked Alaskan King Salmon and Prawns with Jerk Black Beans and Goat Cheese.

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
i forgot to mention that i marinated the chicken in the sauce for about 12-14 hours..came out with a big damn kick..lol

I'd vote for the Bloody Jerk right now but that wouldn't be fair to the rest of the competition. You've raised the bar, now let's see if anyone else can jump that high!

Love the chutney too. I'm going to play with some this year, I promise.

TEASER...

I've got an idea but will have to wait until I get it cooked...gonna make something special....

Here are my ingredients (except the secret one)

P1010009_3.jpg

Tittle of Entry: Passow Thinks Bugs Bunny is a Jerk

Jerk Rub Ingerdients (all fresh, made from scratch): Allspice, onions, thyme, garlic, cloves, paprika, salt, Jamacian Scotch Bonnets (and a sprinkle of Jolokia).

1 whole rabbit, soaked and steamed in Troegs Rugged Trail Brown Ale, presented withj a side of escargot in garlic butter and Great Lakes Glockenspiel Weizenbock bier.

Being Prepped:
jerkrabbit1.jpg

Cooked:
jerkrabbit3.jpg

Served (sorry, it was a crappy camera taking the picture):
jerkrabbit2.jpg

Mmmmm rabbit. +1 Foo foo points for the Escargot. Nice IGG. AJ I can't wait to see what you come up with. I was going to do entry #2 today with some half chickens on the grill/smoker, but I have decided to try my Stone Ruination IPA Mustard Curry sauce on them instead. I have been itching to try that since I first tasted it last Friday. Maybe I will take some pics just for fun.

Hey ya'll. Here is my entry for The Fantabulous 4th of July Jerk Throwdown. Posted earlier was my ingredient list so I will forego reposting that and get right down to 'bidness.

I present to you TB's Notorious Jerk Chicken

I had the chix thighs marinating in the goodness and just before tossing them into the smoker, I started off with a true Alaskan icon to alcoholic fueled mayhem....from bottom to top...Kahlua, Baileys, and Crown Royal..THE DUCKFART! Awesome x 1,000!!

0216-1.jpg

I started off the thighs in the smoker..

0217-1.jpg

While the chix were gettin' down brown, I took plain yogurt, fresno chiles, shallot, garlic, green onion and cilantro and made a kickin' dipping sauce...

0218-1.jpg

After a couple hours in the smoker and two loads of mesquite chips, I transferred to the grill along with pre-blanched greenbeans and fresno chiles....

0219-1.jpg

Stay tuned for the final money shots ya'll...

Cheers, TB.

Here's the money shots ya'll. With and without the Yogurt Cilantro sauce..

0223-1.jpg

The greenbeans and the chiles really set this off..

0221-1.jpg

And one final shot...embrace the goodness ya'll!!

0220-1.jpg

Thus completes entry #1. I have a second for later this eve...and I'll be bringing the typical TB Notoriousnessess...

Cheers, TB.

Not as fancy as some of the other dishes, but here's "Omri's Stew for Drunks":
92101235.jpg

81208114.jpg

Chicken livers & hearts rubbed with Jerk spice, then slightly roasted, then baked with some Guinness Extra Stout and garlic bread crumbs.

*AT LEAST 30 CHICKENS DIED TO MAKE THIS DISH POSSIBLE*

Jerked chicken nuts

Alright all those who are jerking it this weekend... Here's some of the new hotness from SumBits. First, a big shout out to the FD4 kitchen for use of the smoker! Now, gettin' down to business...

The teaser ingredient shot didn't make it this post mainly because I went straight into the jerk paste making mode as soon as I got home from the G-store. So instead, here's the list:

Paste (x2):
1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 Tbsp dark rum, 2 Habanero w/seeds
1 red onion, 4 green onion tops
2 Tbsp olive oil, 2 tsp salt (kosher)
2 tsp black pepper, 4 tsp ground allspice
4 tsp ground cinnamon, 4 tsp ground nutmeg
4 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp molasses, 1/2 cup lime juice

Combine ingredients and puree.

Ingredients for the meal:
8 boneless skinless chicken thighs marinated 4+hrs w/1 cup jerk paste
2 shucked ripe coconuts split in half

Corse chop the chicken and stuff into half coconut shell as much will fit. It will look like a chicken meatball as such
IMG_1349.jpg

[Uncooked marinated chicken in coconuts with halved orange habs to be smoked.]

Smoke @ 225F ~4 hrs whilst drinking beer, making "festival" bread and fried yucca for the side.

IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1356.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

Note: High Life for scale.

Let cool for ten mins. while making mango salsa topping (fine chop mango, cilantro, bottom of green onion, cider vinegar, salt and olive oil)

Jerked Chicken Nuts!!!

Sings..."put de lime in de coconut and drinkem' bowl up..."

Awesome pics. The presentation alone might fetch the WIN I reckon....but...Highlife Lite in the can for the FAIL!

Cheers, TB.

texas blues said:
Sings..."put de lime in de coconut and drinkem' bowl up..."

Awesome pics. The presentation alone might fetch the WIN I reckon....but...Highlife Lite in the can for the FAIL!

Cheers, TB.

SumOfMyBits said:
TB - I photoshopped the High Life Light on top of Ron Anejo Aniversario. ;)

Bwahahahaha..EPIC FAIL!

Thats too funny!

Cheers, TB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back