• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! JERK THROWDOWN INDEPENDENCE WEEKEND

Who's the best JERK? Does not need to be 100% authenic, originality and awesomeness+

• Pepperfreak's Jamaican Jerk Grilled Kabobs

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • THP's Bloody Jerk

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • JayT's Jerk Surf and Turf

• Quad's Jerk-Seasoned Fish Cakes w/ ApricotMangoHab Chutney

• Bam's First Jerk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Passow Thinks Bugs Bunny is a Jerk

• TB's Notorious Jerk Chicken

• Omri's Stew for Drunks

• SumOfMyBits Jerked Chicken Nuts

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • frydad4's Jerked and Pulled Pork with Coco Bread and Jicama Slaw

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • AJ's Jamaican Jerk Pork Loin South Mississippi Style

• SumOfMyBits Spatch-Cocked The Right Way

• Pepperfreak's Jerk Chicken

• Fivestar's Jerk Spread

• THP's Jerk In A Skirt w/Jerk Yuca Fries

• TB's Jerked Alaskan King Salmon and Prawns with Jerk Black Beans and Goat Cheese.

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
boutros said:
Discuss here or in the social group?

I'd eat every last one of these dishes and love it. Like the throwdown concept and hope to participate sometime. I got to go w/ JayT's. A whole fish on the grill is always a win in my mind.
Feel free to discuss this Throwdown here. The more thread activity the more votes.

Cheers to all! (raises Bloody Jerk glass, no pic, it wouldn't be fair... but I have been drinking them all day.)
:cheers:

This is going to be a tough one. A couple could win on presentation alone, loved the banana leaves and the watermelon/onion platters and THP's jerked chicken Bloody Mary swizzle stick.

frydad4 said:
Jerk paste, traditional ingredients. Added a bit of dark rum for taste. Freshly ground allspice berries are the key to a good jerk sauce. Citrus, Habs, hickory blended with allspice berries for an authentic smoke. Fresh boston butt, about 5 pounds. I marinated my pork for 36 hours for total flavor immersion. The weird tuber in the corner is a jicama, which I used for the slaw at the end.
Gratuitous ingredient pic.
P1030245.jpg

Smoked her for about 9 hours on LOW!! Made those connective tissue wish they never existed. The smoke is a mix of hickory and allspice berries. It stings the nostrils.
P1030247.jpg

Baked some traditional Coco bread, which is a staple in Jamaican street food, such as this. Here they are piping hot out of the oven. It's funny they call it Coco bread because it does not have coconut or cocoa in it. No matter, it was delicious! Buttery and chewy and yeasty.
P1030250.jpg

The final product. Made up some Jicama slaw, threw in some cilantro and lime for taste.
Pulled Jerk Pork, Jicama Slaw, Coco Bread, and a nice Rum and Coke. An amazing way to celebrate Independence Day!
Cheers.
P1030255.jpg

Those are definetly heliconia leaves and not banana leaves. Quit the sharades FD4!

guilty...however I never said they were banana. Someone else did. That variety is commonly called "Lobster Claw".

For the record I DO have a banana tree (that has yet to fruit). The leaves were too big for my pic.

TB your smoked salmon looks awesome.

On another note, how did the chicken hearts and livers come out?

My vote went for the Bloody Jerk. It was hard to decide but I picked the one I would most like to eat. JT's surf and turf was a very close second.

This was extremely tough and I really would love to vote for all of them, but with only one vote (and not voting for myself), I too went with the which one thing do I really want to try the most theory. Fivestar's ribs get my vote. THP would win on originality, AJ or Frydad and Sumofmybits for presentation, TB for foo foo. Hell they all look great, but I had to pick someone. I think you got me with the poppers and bacon Fivestar.

I gotta say, this was the prettiest throwdown yet. The presentation of some of these meals was just fantastic. I so wanted to join in on the fun but my weekend was so packed with getting together with family, dear friends, & so much boozin' that my liver is threatening to walk out on me (it's going to be sooooo pissed @ me here in a lil bit, too).

While I applaud the efforts of all of you...you guys worked wonders here...my final favorites were THP's bloody jerk & TB's salmon & prawns (and Mexican duckfart!!!). Those just looked & sounded the best to me. Ultimately...as hard as my decision was...my vote went to THP. Jerk kabob IN a bloody mary = orgasm in a glass.

JayT said:
This was extremely tough and I really would love to vote for all of them, but with only one vote (and not voting for myself), I too went with the which one thing do I really want to try the most theory. Fivestar's ribs get my vote. THP would win on originality, AJ or Frydad and Sumofmybits for presentation, TB for foo foo. Hell they all look great, but I had to pick someone. I think you got me with the poppers and bacon Fivestar.

Thanks JayT!

This throwdown was quite the spectacle! Everyone brought some serious game to the table, and some of you guys out there need to be workin at 5 diamond restaurants, cause those plates looked amazing :drooling:

It's anyone's game... go vote!

Great job everyone! I've never had Jerk before but this thread will fix that. Thanks for all the entries. I will be 'borrowing' more than a few recipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back