• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! JERK THROWDOWN INDEPENDENCE WEEKEND

Who's the best JERK? Does not need to be 100% authenic, originality and awesomeness+

• Pepperfreak's Jamaican Jerk Grilled Kabobs

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • THP's Bloody Jerk

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • JayT's Jerk Surf and Turf

• Quad's Jerk-Seasoned Fish Cakes w/ ApricotMangoHab Chutney

• Bam's First Jerk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Passow Thinks Bugs Bunny is a Jerk

• TB's Notorious Jerk Chicken

• Omri's Stew for Drunks

• SumOfMyBits Jerked Chicken Nuts

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • frydad4's Jerked and Pulled Pork with Coco Bread and Jicama Slaw

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • AJ's Jamaican Jerk Pork Loin South Mississippi Style

• SumOfMyBits Spatch-Cocked The Right Way

• Pepperfreak's Jerk Chicken

• Fivestar's Jerk Spread

• THP's Jerk In A Skirt w/Jerk Yuca Fries

• TB's Jerked Alaskan King Salmon and Prawns with Jerk Black Beans and Goat Cheese.

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jerked and Pulled Pork with Coco Bread and Jicama Slaw

Jerk paste, traditional ingredients. Added a bit of dark rum for taste. Freshly ground allspice berries are the key to a good jerk sauce. Citrus, Habs, hickory blended with allspice berries for an authentic smoke. Fresh boston butt, about 5 pounds. I marinated my pork for 36 hours for total flavor immersion. The weird tuber in the corner is a jicama, which I used for the slaw at the end.
Gratuitous ingredient pic.
P1030245.jpg

Smoked her for about 9 hours on LOW!! Made those connective tissue wish they never existed. The smoke is a mix of hickory and allspice berries. It stings the nostrils.
P1030247.jpg

Baked some traditional Coco bread, which is a staple in Jamaican street food, such as this. Here they are piping hot out of the oven. It's funny they call it Coco bread because it does not have coconut or cocoa in it. No matter, it was delicious! Buttery and chewy and yeasty.
P1030250.jpg

The final product. Made up some Jicama slaw, threw in some cilantro and lime for taste.
Pulled Jerk Pork, Jicama Slaw, Coco Bread, and a nice Rum and Coke. An amazing way to celebrate Independence Day!
Cheers.
P1030255.jpg

Frydad that pic with everything poised on the banana leaf is complete utter and devastatingly WIN!!

It's got everythang! The mojo. The pork. The booze. Fresh baked bread!!

We're all in trouble now. That is just too much AWESOMENESSESS!!

Cheers, TB.

Thanks TB!

Me and Sum drank a lot of good beer along with the crappy stuff we put in the pics!
Everyone's Jerk looks good, hope everyone had as much to drink as we did!!

FD4

frydad4 said:
Thanks TB!

Me and Sum drank a lot of good beer along with the crappy stuff we put in the pics!
Everyone's Jerk looks good, hope everyone had as much to drink as we did!!

FD4

HAH!! I knew there was a conspiracy there! You and SUM did some damage in the pics. Awesomenessess!

Cheers, TB.

No conspiracy, we actually became bitter mortal enemies. We refused to share battle secrets and gave half-assed assistance whenever it was asked.

Ohhh I gots one more a'comin'!

Wow! Words can't express the smackdown the South Florida boys just laid down. Lookin AWESOME Sum and Frydad!

Is the 7 pm deadline final?

I just got up and realized what time it is and I still have more to post. I just fired up the grill and may be a little past 7. Hope you all will let me squeeze in.

caroltlw said:
Love the chutney too. I'm going to play with some this year, I promise.

Thanks Carol!

I'd never really made a chutney before, but it's really good stuff, hotter than I thought it'd be too. :)

Man, such a bunch of yummy nom nom stuff going on...

Teaser:Jerk Chicken

Well, I know that I'll end up being late (past the 7 PM dead line. But, here is what I'm working on...

There are 4 Chocolate Habs Chopped up in the small bowl
DSCF0462.jpg

DSCF0464.jpg

DSCF0465.jpg

Guys the deadline is tomorrow! However I may end it earlier than 7 pm tomorrow so be warned! If cooking tomorrow get it on!

thehotpepper.com said:
Guys the deadline is tomorrow! However I may end it earlier than 7 pm tomorrow so be warned! If cooking tomorrow get it on!

Oh...thank God...I have about another 1/2 hour of cooking left. And to think I have been rushing around here like a chicken with it's head cut off for no reason. :lol:

Pepperfreak said:
Teaser:Jerk Chicken

Well, I know that I'll end up being late (past the 7 PM dead line. But, here is what I'm working on...

There are 4 Chocolate Habs Chopped up in the small bowl
DSCF0462.jpg

DSCF0464.jpg

DSCF0465.jpg

WOW!! Naked spooning chickens FTW!!

Jerk Throwdown Entry 07-04-09

My Only Entry...I call it

Jamaican Jerk Pork Loin South Mississippi Style

slice loin cooking on grill (have hickory chips for a little smoke)

07-04-09c001.jpg

Plate alone....I have taken about a one inch thick slice of watermelon, "cored" it, put tin foil under it and folded it up on the edges....then I took the green tops of the scallions I used in the marinade and put them inside the watermelon to make a "bed" for the pork...then the pork, then garnished with a sprig of Parsley and some chopped up spicy saber leaf basil and some lime basil...all topped with a Foodarama Scotch Bonnet...

070409d002.jpg

I gotta go eat y'all, this is the first time I have tasted Jerk and I am hooked...this stuff is delicious...

I have looked at the other entries and must say the competition is very stiff...great looking food all...

and whoever suggested the Jerk Throwdown, I thank you for turning me on to another way to cook...

Gettin' down in the delta...Love it looong time AJ! Shoulda' posted that dish right in front of your acoustic or better yet, a reso guitar. Blues you can use right there compadre'.

Cheers, TB.

Spatch-cocked the right way

Here's the second entry. Hope you enjoy.

IMG_1364.jpg

[Jerked chicken on grill on low for 1.5+ hrs... nuff said.]

IMG_1367.jpg

[Homemade hab pretzel dough]

IMG_1368.jpg

[Homemade hab pretzels]

IMG_1373.jpg

[Money shot.]

Note: appropriate drink for scale.

Whoa dad! I said bring it and ya'll sho'nuff brought it!! That's it. I'm pulling out all the stops!! I'm firing up the smoker and turning it up to eleven!! Pulling out the black cats paw and the John the Conquerer root! All you hoodoo hobo's stand back! I'm gonna' get my mojo workin'!

Cheers, TB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back