• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Stick It! Official Thread

Best Food On A Stick?

• ImpyChick's Scotch Egg On A Stick

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Blister's Chicken-Tater-Stick (didn't see a name)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • texas blues' Chicken Fried Punji Steak

• moyboy's Chilli Mango Chicken On A Rosemary Branch (aka Pippy's Chick-O-Stick)

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • ImpyChick's Spiked Coffee On A Stick

• chilehunter's CornPoppers

• moyboy's Violet Crumble Cheese Cake Balls

• ring sting's Sky Rocket Chicken

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • frydad4's Florida Key Lime Lobster With Beercicle

• SumOfMyBits' Spicy Conch Fritters On A Bread Stick With Red Rum Sauce (aka Conch Balls Of Fire)

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • QuadShotz's Buffalo Meat Pies On-A-Stick

• Noshownate's Smokey Sticken Dog

• THP's Pig In A Pretzel (aka Kevorkian Pretzel)

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • texas blues' Cheezy Chix Roulade's On A Crutch

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Teaser pic
P1030512.jpg

Did I just catch you looking at my conch?

What is that in the bottle? Why is it when I look at your pics I keep hearing Jimmy Buffett in the background?

The Jimmy Buffet background probably comes from the cratch'n'sniff file extension on all of my images. Smells of cold beer with lime mixed with a bit of palm frond rustling in a lazy wind, and a hint of sunshine.

Florida Key Lime Lobster with Beercicle

Well, I came home from work on Friday to see my Busch light cheating on me with a Florida Lobster.

He was really going to town on it, I was so mad! I felt betrayed...so I took a picture.

P1030502.jpg

So...I ran to my Busch Light, scolded her, drank her contents, and crushed her for her indiscretions.
Then I grabbed the Lobster by the carapace and tail and ripped it apart. My hands were full of rage as I wringed his carcass apart.

P1030504.jpg

P1030507.jpg

Then I ripped the flesh from the randy crustacean who was boinking my beer, cut it into narrow strips, and marinated it in a delightful mixture of Key Lime juice, Olive Oil, and Honey. I let that rest for an hour while I gathered my emotions and prepared to skewer the sunofabitch.

P1030509.jpg

Florida Key Lime Lobster with Beercicle

I skewered the flesh and grilled it lightly on a flat skillet. No pics of the grilling process, but needless to say it was amazing. The honey caramelized nicely, giving sweet notes to compliment the lobster, while the key lime juice gave a delicious tang.
Meanwhile I whipped up a Key Lime, Serrano Aioli to serve as a dipping sauce for my lobster-on-a-stick.
And the home-run for this dish was the BUSH LIGHT POPCICLE I made. You can see it in the background. It was like heaven on a stick.
Bon Apetit!
P1030539.jpg

P1030543.jpg

P1030545.jpg

P1030548.jpg

Spicy Conch Fritters on a bread Stick with red rum sauce

Alright fellow Food on a Stick connoisseurs, here's another SoFlo Posse creation.

Conch fritters on a bread stick.

Ingreeds & destructions:
1/4 # fresh conch [chop fine]
1/4 cup red onion [chop fine]
1/2 green Serrano [chop fine]
1 Orange habanero [chop fine]
pinch or two of fresh cracked pepper

(Stir it up and call Food on Stick feng-shui master Xian Long-Foo for consultation. [Names have been altered for privacy].)

2 cups hush puppy mix
1 cup Busch Light or other fine fermented malt beverage of choosing.

Whir'n'stir

P1030522.jpg

Let sit 10 mins. in fridge then fold all above together.

P1030525.jpg

Deep fry in veg. oil [soybean] @ 350 F until golden brown.

P1030528.jpg

Upon dropping the ball of conch batter goodness, quickly stab it with a thin bread stick and hold for a few seconds until it sets.

P1030529.jpg

Cont...

Conch Balls of Fire?? Sounding yum.

Spicy Conch Fritters on a bread Stick with red rum sauce

For the Red Rum sauce:

2 Tbsp ketchup
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp mayo
2tsp Marie Sharp's Hab sauce [or other]
Splash with expensive Rum of choosing [Suggestion: Flor de Cana]
Whisk it up yum.

Enjoy [Edit: This recipe makes about ten fritters.]

P1030533.jpg

P1030536.jpg

Well done Sum. They sure were good! Good call on the edible stick, I don't think anyone else has done that.

Next time you use my kitchen for a throwdown, don't bring feng-shui master Xian Long-Foo. He scares my kids.

The weird mustache and throwing stars are one thing, but a gusty south Florida breeze blew his kimono up a little bit and they saw his conch balls of fire.

I'd have to label that a frontrunner at this point, but all of the entries have been great. Also of note are the egg one (so strange, so lovely, so wonderful), the fried steak on a stick (if it had a sausage gravy on it I would be sold), the chicken and sausage, the cake balls...damn, ALL of them look amazing. Competitions tight this time, and the quality of throwown entries has improved!! Good times, everyone!

FD

SumOfMyBits said:
For the Red Rum sauce:

2 Tbsp ketchup
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp mayo
2tsp Marie Sharp's Hab sauce [or other]
Splash with expensive Rum of choosing [Suggestion: Flor de Cana]
Whisk it up yum.

Enjoy [Edit: This recipe makes about ten fritters.]

P1030533.jpg

P1030536.jpg

After that...I just threw my entry #2 into the garbage. SoFlo Posse KICKS ASS!!

Salute', TB.

frydad4 said:

Next time you use my kitchen for a throwdown, don't bring feng-shui master Xian Long-Foo. He scares my kids.

... a gusty south Florida breeze blew his kimono up a little bit and they saw his conch balls of fire.

FD

Oh, is that it? For a second I thought you were going to say you caught him sticking his conch in my red rum dip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back