• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

baking Who else get's into making pizzas!!

texas blues said:
With pickles...

Dude, you lost me there. I'm all about trying new flavors and I enjoy a crisp spear on the side, but IMHO pickles ruin good burgers. On pizza? Yuck!

I do like the idea of bleu cheese with pulled spicy chicken smothered with shredded provelone.

I'm gonna start making homemade pizza in my toaster over..teehee.

It's a 9x5 one, so a nice size, and I love fresh pizza. :)

Yeah, I'm into the pizza stone thing myself. Definitely a really good flavor. Seems like everytime you make a new pizza on it it gets even better!! Also, I've never done the grilled pizza thing. I'll have to try that sometime in the future. Sounds pretty interesting. Also, chiliman64. I LOOOOVE anchovies on pizza!!

Grilled pizza is awesome, BUT, I'm not cooking outside when its 15F. I made a Sicilian pizza today. Just a regular pepperoni and mushroom pizza with some serranos, my pepper powder mix, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and some basil oil when finished. It was great. If I had seen this thread first I would have taken pics. Tomorrow or the next day it will be a bbq chicken pizza with red onion, and habs. IMO though what makes the pizza is FRESH mozarella.

homemade is a bit more work than picking up the phone and placing your order, but if it's done right homemade just is better. than again when you cook something yourself it's usually better than going out.

JayT said:
Grilled pizza is awesome, BUT, I'm not cooking outside when its 15F. I made a Sicilian pizza today. Just a regular pepperoni and mushroom pizza with some serranos, my pepper powder mix, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and some basil oil when finished. It was great. If I had seen this thread first I would have taken pics. Tomorrow or the next day it will be a bbq chicken pizza with red onion, and habs. IMO though what makes the pizza is FRESH mozarella.
Same here bro. I wouldn't be grilling outside right now either....icefishing, or hunting is ok in this weather, but standing outside and grilling. I'll wait too!!:lol: You're pizza sounds good man. The only mozzarella that I've used so far is just the shredded stuff in the bag so far though.

I really love home made pizza....

I make my own dough and BBQ/tomato base sause...

I cook it in the oven but I am getting a stone and will start grilling them in the BBQ...

One thing I have to say when it comes to pizzas.....Herbs, herbs, herbs.....You can never have enough....

I love pizzas but the ones I make never turn out any good :( think it's the dough that I make that's just no good.. or.. something.
do you guys have any good advice? could it be the oven..? I dunno.. they just never get as good as they are at restaurants. (most food isn't but mine aren't even close)

Munch, I know it's not a very good time to fire up the grill in Sweden right now, but if you can find some sun during your short days right now go ahead and fire up the grill and try loading up a frozen pizza. My very favorite pizza cheese is Swedish Greve. When my mom visits the States she brings as much as she can carry and the first thing I do is fire up the grill and make pizza.
It is VERY important to note, when you make pizza on the grill, DO NOT put foil under the pie. Put it directly on the grill. Foil will ruin your crust by making it too dense. Direct heat makes it much lighter and flakier.
Man, I want some Greve. That's the best cheese ever!

peter pepper said:
homemade is a bit more work than picking up the phone and placing your order, but if it's done right homemade just is better. than again when you cook something yourself it's usually better than going out.

True.

Also, ya can put all manner of unholy things on it at home.

When the guys visited, we went to order a pizza next door, adn i brough a couple of my Funky Habs along to see if they would stick it on the pie. They all got kinda scared looks when i explained what they were and said no..:lol:

Dern liability anyways...

QuadShotz said:
we went to order a pizza next door, adn i brough a couple of my Funky Habs along to see if they would stick it on the pie. They all got kinda scared looks when i explained what they were and said no.

That seems pretty uncool of them. Back in my younger days I managed a Domino's pizza in California. Once a week we had an old hippie couple come in with a jar of cashews and had me put them on their pie. One week they brought me an extra jar so I could try it myself. The cashews softened up nicely atop the sauce and under the cheese. It was awesome.

There's nothing like makin' your own pizza... but I gotta admit, the dough is a pain in the ass.. takes a long time if you want to do it right.
A stone is a must, and I buy the premade store bought dough and it comes out quite good.

Try roasted habanero and goat cheese pizza with caramelized onions.
Oofah!
:onfire:

At Kroger they have cheap mixes of flour, yeast, and salt (I guess) you just add water, let it rise 45 minutes or so knead it and go.

It is almost home-made and they are dirt cheap.

My wife makes a pizza with just olive oil, thin sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzerella, fresh basil, salt and pepper(no sauce) and they are amazing.

I love meat and peppers and all kinds of stuff usually, but her simple pizza is amazingly good.

Caustic Casey said:
There's nothing like makin' your own pizza... but I gotta admit, the dough is a pain in the ass.. takes a long time if you want to do it right.

My best friend Nick(who is 135% real Italian) makes his own pizza dough in a food processor. It takes literally like 10 minutes to rock out the dough. That stuff he makes is awesome.

StoneySauce said:
Good luck, bro.
thumbsup.gif

My purist buddies bust my chops for using a gas grill, but I love my stainless steel 3-burner Brinkman. It makes a dandy pizza.
I love the Chicago style deep-dish. I have mistakenly burned the outer crust and left the middle raw. It's an easy mistake to make if the temp is wrong.

BTW, Scoville, I road tripped to Tampa yesterday. All American Container sold me 5 oz. woozy bottles for 30 bucks/gross. I should have called you.

Yea,I have a Vermont Castings but I have screwed it up over the years roasting oysters(salt water,duh!)And the parts are freaking outrageous!My pizza pie turned out great,but a little soggy on the bottom,should have layered the bottom with motz. first.Give me a shout next time your in town stony.

scoville said:
...a little soggy on the bottom,should have layered the bottom with motz.

Cornmeal works brilliantly. ;)

scoville said:
Give me a shout next time your in town stony.

PM me your phone number. I am planning to visit Bodines after the first of the year. Things are so hectic with the holidays I blew off going there the other day. Plus, I was so stoked with my 288 woozy bottles in my trunk excited to fill them. Everyone gets jalapeno sauce for Christmas.

musik010.gif

Edited. Sorry for the huge misplaced image.

Sickmont said:
My best friend Nick(who is 135% real Italian) makes his own pizza dough in a food processor. It takes literally like 10 minutes to rock out the dough. That stuff he makes is awesome.

Yeah, I got the 14 cup cuisinart and it makes great dough, but the rising and resting makes it a bit timely on weeknights...

Back