• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

2009 Grow Log

POTAWIE said:
Thanks AJ, I was going to say something similar but I still feel bad about de-railing TX's growlog. Horticulturally, perlite is organic or organically usable which is all that is important to me.
Looking good TX

Lol you hit it on the head there man, i had to do a bit of research so I could weigh in on the subject too, and it looks like perlite isn't organic itself, but stuff grown in perlite is still considered organic.

And if you keep claiming to feel bad about de-railing threads, I'm gonna have to question if you got what it takes for THP. That's what we do around here :lol:

So far the Trinidad Perfume, Fish Pepper, 7pod, trinidad scorpion and chocolate hab have sprouted.

Only the goats weed, fatalii & both beaver dams are left.

Go figure, all the chinense varieties sprout before the annuums.

All 5 of the lemon drops that were placed in a baggie on 01/14 have sprouted. Still not a single f'ing fatalii sprout, none from the ones planted on 01/01, and none from 01/12.

No sprouts from the Cumari started on the same day as the lemon drop either.

Started some Naga Morich, Bhut Jolokia(NMSU) & Atomic Starfish in baggies tonight too (Thanks Sly!)

3212171088_43629d5a27_o.jpg

I need to go get a couple more of these t-5 lights....I'm running out of space.

Txclosetgrower said:
I really need to get a heating mat, they make ones designed specifically for that seed starting box i have.
MATS ARE GREAT....WHILE THEY LAST:shocked: It seems mine are only good for one season and then the heating element just stops working or something...who knows. Got mats all over the place that could be plugged in for days and still won;t heat up...now I just use things around the house...oil heater...cable box...etc.

Good luck on everything this year hope your fatalis do wonderous things for you. I'll be growing out those with some red ones as well:mouthonfire:

Guess we'll have to see:!: Tx's looks like his are gonna be great, I know thats for sure! Just wanna say again, I love it here and Im glad I found this forum, you guys all rock.

Pepper-Guru said:
Guess we'll have to see:!: Tx's looks like his are gonna be great, I know thats for sure! Just wanna say again, I love it here and Im glad I found this forum, you guys all rock.

Haha, sorry guru, hate to kick you out, but you gotta go chill with armadillo and all the other guys with 3 cotyledons. Mine has FOUR. :lol:

We seem to have a lot of genetic freaks on the boards this season, should be interesting to see the results.

TX,
Earlier in the thread you were discussing the use of coco coir as a growing medium and the need for adjusting the PH in your nutrients. Coir is too basic right? Could you mix coffee grinds or something like that once into the medium? I wanted to try some coir out myself this season, but was wondering if there was an easier way to get around the PH problems.
Thanks,
Josh

Josh said:
TX,
Earlier in the thread you were discussing the use of coco coir as a growing medium and the need for adjusting the PH in your nutrients. Coir is too basic right? Could you mix coffee grinds or something like that once into the medium? I wanted to try some coir out myself this season, but was wondering if there was an easier way to get around the PH problems.
Thanks,
Josh

No, the pH of the coir itself is fine. But when you mix up the nutrient solution, you should adjust the pH of it. Here in Austin, we sit on top of a big limestone aquifer, so our water is really basic. I have to adjust the pH and lower it. The reason you should adjust the pH of the nutrients is that certain nutrients quit being available to the plant outside of a certain pH range. In coco, you want the pH of the nutrients to be 5.6-5.8ish.

You really should adjust the pH of the nutrients when growing in soil too. Just prevents certain problems before they happen. A lot of "nutrient deficiency" problems can appear even if nutrients are present if they're outside the usable pH range.

And the pH up & down kits are real cheap man, less than 20 bucks and will last several seasons. I want a pH meter, but the liquid tester works pretty good. After mixing the nutrients 2-3 times, you figure out how much pH adjuster you need so it goes quicker.

It really is worth the little extra trouble :)

True. I never have worried about my PH when doing soil grows (guess b/c I just have a keen sense of good soil condition) but whenever I do my DWC's I use my meter, the up, the down, and all the above. However, if you PPM/TDS is right then usually the Ph is correct as well for the plant your feeding.

Txclosetgrower said:
No, the pH of the coir itself is fine. But when you mix up the nutrient solution, you should adjust the pH of it. Here in Austin, we sit on top of a big limestone aquifer, so our water is really basic. I have to adjust the pH and lower it. The reason you should adjust the pH of the nutrients is that certain nutrients quit being available to the plant outside of a certain pH range. In coco, you want the pH of the nutrients to be 5.6-5.8ish.

You really should adjust the pH of the nutrients when growing in soil too. Just prevents certain problems before they happen. A lot of "nutrient deficiency" problems can appear even if nutrients are present if they're outside the usable pH range.

And the pH up & down kits are real cheap man, less than 20 bucks and will last several seasons. I want a pH meter, but the liquid tester works pretty good. After mixing the nutrients 2-3 times, you figure out how much pH adjuster you need so it goes quicker.

It really is worth the little extra trouble :)

Hey thanks for the helpful info. Sounds a lot easier now. I was under the impression that I would constantly have to be testing and adding different amounts of ph up or down each time I mixed a batch of nutrients.
Thanks,
Josh

It's easier if you mix up nutrients in large batches, don't make the mistake I made of mixing them in a 2 gallon water bucket. This year I'm planning something like this:
awesomewatersystem.jpg

I'm going to get one of those huge industrial rubbermaid trashcans, a water pump & some hose. It's going to be sweet. I may even set it up as a drip system with a timer, we'll see. But for now i'm going with hand watered.

The valve is for adjusting the flow rate. I figure that if i install the valve on a t-fitting it will let me adjust the rate of water coming out of the hose without loading down the pump. I figure an in-line valve might damage a water pump if it's closed.

Nice nutrient station! A buddy of mine uses an in-line RO filter attached to his garden hose; this way he doesn't have to rely on an extremely large rain catch here in Atlanta during the summers. Atlanta = no rain...almost ever. Ridiculous, really...you should see our major lakes and rivers...so low.

Pepper-Guru said:
Nice nutrient station! A buddy of mine uses an in-line RO filter attached to his garden hose; this way he doesn't have to rely on an extremely large rain catch here in Atlanta during the summers. Atlanta = no rain...almost ever. Ridiculous, really...you should see our major lakes and rivers...so low.

here in Austin we're in the middle of a drought. Apparently we've had less than half the expected rainfall in the past six months. Been kinda nice though, excellent disc golf weather lol

And I like your gravity powered water station aj. Maybe I could get the people above me to let me keep my reservoir on their porch in exchange for peppers and save money on a pump lol.

Back