• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

music any metal heads on thp?

7potquezada said:
Beast, now that you mention Xiphos that just reminded me of Necrophagists old lead guitarist Muhammed Suicmez lol....he was all about those guitars....but then *poof!* we never saw that 3rd album lol...its been about 10 years since they put out an album lol. They left so many people hanging.

Such a shame. They had so much talent. Have you heard of Obscura? They have got some old Necrophagist members there. Good stuff.

ikeepfish said:
I've had two Xyphos, both had the electronics turn to crap rather quickly.  BC Rich or bust.  I have an NJ Classic Bich that is numbered out of 10,000.  I keep a couple of ESPs around. 

Really? I've always had luck with Ibanez. Good to know, even though I cannot afford a Xiphos right now, even the economy models! BC Rich have always gone two ways for me. Their bronze series stuff is, and I doubt you will disagree here, complete junk, but once you get into the NJ and higher series, they are awesome! Not to mention you could kill a rowdy audience member with half their designs. I wouldn't mind an upper end Mockingbird or Bich with a spalted maple top, EMG 81/60 with a tune-o-matic bridge.

TrueNorthReptiles said:

Such a shame. They had so much talent. Have you heard of Obscura? They have got some old Necrophagist members there. Good stuff.

Really? I've always had luck with Ibanez. Good to know, even though I cannot afford a Xiphos right now, even the economy models! BC Rich have always gone two ways for me. Their bronze series stuff is, and I doubt you will disagree here, complete junk, but once you get into the NJ and higher series, they are awesome! Not to mention you could kill a rowdy audience member with half their designs. I wouldn't mind an upper end Mockingbird or Bich with a spalted maple top, EMG 81/60 with a tune-o-matic bridge.
Dude, I love Obscura they're so awesome. I recognized their drummers style once when scanning through a music channel. I was like, "hey, that drumming style sounds like Necrophagists drummer lol. Anyways, they are trememendous, if you ever get the chance, go see them live. Everything's solid. 

7potquezada said:
Dude, I love Obscura they're so awesome. I recognized their drummers style once when scanning through a music channel. I was like, "hey, that drumming style sounds like Necrophagists drummer lol. Anyways, they are trememendous, if you ever get the chance, go see them live. Everything's solid. 

If they ever make it up this way I definitely will! They would definitely benefit from a new singer, though. I find him to be very painful to listen to sometimes.

not exactly metal, more of a post-rock song but I stumbled across this from Iceland the other day, did a little digging and found they used to do some doom type stuff back in the day.  Great song and great video IMO

http://youtu.be/A6j7mUxGz20

ikeepfish said:
not exactly metal, more of a post-rock song but I stumbled across this from Iceland the other day, did a little digging and found they used to do some doom type stuff back in the day.  Great song and great video IMO

Although not really what I listen to much, I will get them props. Good vegging out music. Nice dark ambience to them.

If you enjoy that kind of music, how about some Woods Of Ypres? I dig a bit of their stuff when the mood strikes me right.

Jeff H said:
New Metal. I like this one.

I'm not sure why but I didn't like this Trivium album. I liked all their other albums, but this one seemed too "different" to what they usually do. Not sure if that was the influence of David Draiman on the album or not, but it definitely had more of a Disturbed type feel to it.

MeatHead1313 said:
I'm not sure why but I didn't like this Trivium album. I liked all their other albums, but this one seemed too "different" to what they usually do. Not sure if that was the influence of David Draiman on the album or not, but it definitely had more of a Disturbed type feel to it.
I think I liked it because it was different. Old Tritium didn't do much for me. I like to actually hear the words in songs instead of getting screamed at.

Jeff H said:
I think I liked it because it was different. Old Tritium didn't do much for me. I like to actually hear the words in songs instead of getting screamed at.
Fair enough. To each their own  :beer:   I'm the same way at times depending on my mood. Sometimes it's just great to let the stress loose by screaming along lol.

Jeff H said:

Ya gotta open your ears! I can understand growled/screamed vocals just as clearly and easily as clean vocals. In most respects it is no different than distorting a guitar. All personal preference, but I can't stand it when people are under the impression it is just shouting because it most definitely isn't.

TrueNorthReptiles said:

Ya gotta open your ears! I can understand growled/screamed vocals just as clearly and easily as clean vocals. In most respects it is no different than distorting a guitar. All personal preference, but I can't stand it when people are under the impression it is just shouting because it most definitely isn't.

What can I say. I'm a product of the 80s and 90s, back when metal had more gonad screams than guttural grunting and snorting. :D

This is about as screaming as I get these days. I actually had to warm up to these guys a little, but I really like most of their stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b2bLq3CLgY

Jeff H said:

What can I say. I'm a product of the 80s and 90s, back when metal had more gonad screams than guttural grunting and snorting. :D

Same here. Circa 1984. On the note of guttural grunting, I have never been able to understand George Fisher OR Chris Barnes from Cannibal Corpse other than the random word here and there. Then again, I don't think either of them were going for clarity, just bottom end.

TrueNorthReptiles said:

Same here. Circa 1984. On the note of guttural grunting, I have never been able to understand George Fisher OR Chris Barnes from Cannibal Corpse other than the random word here and there. Then again, I don't think either of them were going for clarity, just bottom end.
You listened to Cannibal Corpse? It's not even metal at that point. Just black noise they call words. aka the grindcore genre.

cruzzfish said:
You listened to Cannibal Corpse? It's not even metal at that point. Just black noise they call words. aka the grindcore genre.
I try not to, but I do have an album or two floating around. I think we all have a few albums we bought that were balls. About the only album of theirs that I ever really play is Tomb Of The Mutilated. Love that album! I guess it is a good thing I cannot understand their vocals because I have read their lyrics. What goes wrong in someone's childhood to make them write that stuff? Yikes!

TrueNorthReptiles said:
I try not to, but I do have an album or two floating around. I think we all have a few albums we bought that were balls. About the only album of theirs that I ever really play is Tomb Of The Mutilated. Love that album! I guess it is a good thing I cannot understand their vocals because I have read their lyrics. What goes wrong in someone's childhood to make them write that stuff? Yikes!
I keep all the metal I listen to in the melodic death and below range. Stuff like Amon Amarth, Sabaton, and Demons and Wizards. 

I'm pretty sure Cannibal Corpse is the product of a traumatic run in with a syringe of molten Starburst. Too scared to ask though.

Oh, ah good italian metal band (rare stuff, but there are some), discovered recently.
Fury N Grace:

Just heard 2 songs and seems pretty solid:
There are various members from this band that i like a lot: DoomSword
Another recent band i like: Týr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbgaPWnuJUU

The a capella hero metal band Van Canto perfoming a cover of Final Countdown. Depending on your taste, this could be among the most awesome songs ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYc2284BnP0

Back