• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Burger Royale Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quadruple-Stack Bacon Benedict Burger

[SIZE=medium]This is a cheeseburger with a few additions. For this TD, I experimented with making my own pickles. I started them in a brine a bit early (Thursday,) due to my scheduling-and the fact that it takes some time for the pickles to mature. I also made some homemade Brioche Burger buns. The buns went through two rises, and were cooked on a reusable baker’s parchment. This ended up working well, because the buns did not stick much, and seemed to be protected on the bottom from overheating. For the eggs Benedict, I made a homemade Hollandaise sauce. The burgers were cooked on a natural gas grill, with the cheese being added toward the end. The cheese was a Seaside Cheddar recommended to me as being a favorite. Sriracha was used instead of ketchup, and apart from the Hollandaise sauce, no other sauces were used. Fresh homegrown San Marzano tomato was also used as a topping.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Ingredient List[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]90/10 USDA Choice Beef[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Seaside Cheddar Cheese[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Apple wood –smoked bacon[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Kirby Cucumbers [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]White Vinegar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Distilled Water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Fresh lemon Juice[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Sriracha Sauce[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Cabbage[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Onion[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Canola Oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Sugar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Sea Salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Dill seasoning[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Garlic cloves[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Cayenne pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Bay leaves[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Black mustard seeds[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Whole coriander seeds[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Whole black peppercorns[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]White pepper seasoning[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Whole all spice[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Whole cloves[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Egg yolk[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Egg[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Stick butter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Butter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Warm milk[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]ADY[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Bread Flour[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]AP Flour[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Sesame Seeds[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Fresh home grown San Marzano Tomato[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Halos Seasoning[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make home-made pickles:[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=medium]Start by preparing some cucumbers as desired, and add to a bowl. Add a quantity of white vinegar, along with:  1/8 cup sugar, a bit of salt, 2 tspn. Mustard seed, 3-4 cloves garlic pieces, a bit of dill weed, some cayenne pepper, a bay leaf, a few whole cloves, a few whole all spice, some whole black peppercorns, some white pepper, and some whole coriander.[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=medium]Heat some Distilled water (not tap water) in a sauce pan.  Pour 2 cups distilled water into vinegar mixture. Weigh down with a plate and let cool. [/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=medium]Cover bowl with saran wrap and refrigerate for as long as desired.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]To make home-made Brioche buns:[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=medium]In a mixing bowl, combine one cup warm water, 1 ½ tablespoons warm milk, 1 teaspoon ADY, and ¾ tablespoon sugar. Let stand five minutes.[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=medium]In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 ½ cups bread flour, 1/9 cup AP flour (approx.), and a bit of salt.[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=medium]Soften about ¾ tablespoon of butter, and add to flour mixture. Stir well. [/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=medium]Beat one egg, and add to flour mixture.[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=medium]Pour in yeast mixture, and stir well. [/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE=medium]Using a bowl scraper, scoop dough into a ball. [/SIZE]
  7. [SIZE=medium]Add some bread flour to the mixture, as it will be somewhat sticky. Add just enough to keep it sticky. [/SIZE]
  8. [SIZE=medium]Knead the dough with your fingers for 8 minutes. Use the bowl scraper to reshape into a ball.[/SIZE]
  9. [SIZE=medium]Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place for an hour or more.[/SIZE]
  10. [SIZE=medium]When ready, line a cookie sheet with a reusable baker’s parchment. Use a dough scraper to divide the dough into appropriate sized pieces. Roll pieces into a rough ball, and place on baker’s parchment.[/SIZE]
  11. [SIZE=medium]Coat a sheet of saran wrap well with cooking spray. Cover buns very lightly with saran wrap, and let rise for another hour in a warm place.[/SIZE]
  12. [SIZE=medium]When ready cook, preheat oven to 400 degrees.[/SIZE]
  13. [SIZE=medium]Beat an egg with a tablespoon of water, and coat top of buns with mixture. Top with desired amount of sesame seeds, and carefully drain off excess egg mixture around buns.[/SIZE]
  14. [SIZE=medium]Place a casserole dish full of water on the bottom rack of large oven, and place cookie sheet containing buns on middle rack. Cook for 15-25 minutes, until tops are lightly browned. Check frequently after 15 minutes.[/SIZE]
  15. [SIZE=medium]Remove buns from oven to cool, and slice apart buns. They should not stick to parchment much.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]To make Hollandaise Sauce:[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=medium]Combine one yolk, a teaspoon water, a teaspoon fresh lemon juice, and a bit of salt in a small bowl. [/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=medium]Heat one stick of butter in a small pan on medium high heat, and cover so butter does not splatter. Let melt and foam a bit-then remove from heat.[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=medium]Using a rotating mixer, stir ingredients in bowl a bit-then gradually add melted butter. Mix well.[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=medium]Don’t try to reheat Hollandaise sauce, just make at the end when you are ready to use-needs to stay warm.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]To cook egg:[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=medium]Melt some butter in a pan. Add one raw egg, season with salt and pepper-then cook till turning white. Flip over on a side, and season again. Cook till done.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]To cook burgers:[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=medium]Start with some choice ground beef, and form into patties. Season with Halo’s seasoning, and a bit of salt and pepper. [/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=medium]Preheat grill on medium high heat, and add patties, seasoned side down. Season tops, and let cook for a few minutes. [/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=medium]Flip burgers over and cook on other side for a few minutes. [/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=medium]Add slices of Seaside Cheddar cheese. Let cheese melt on burgers while cooking a bit.[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=medium]Remove from heat.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]To prepare miscellaneous ingredients:[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=medium]Cook some apple wood smoked bacon, and trim fat and to desired size.[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=medium]Cook some onion slices in a pan with some canola oil for ten minutes to brown.[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=medium]Slice some red cabbage into strips. Slice a San Marzano tomato. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]To assemble burger:[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=medium]Start by toasting Brioche buns in some butter. [/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=medium]Coat bottom bun with some Sriracha sauce.[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=medium]Begin stacking burger patties as desired. Then top with San Marzano Tomato slices, browned onions, some fresh red cabbage strips, fresh home-made pickles, fried egg, and Hollandaise Sauce.[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=medium]Place top bun in desired place; use some wood skewers to hold all ingredients in place.[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=medium]Serve.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

keybrdkid said:
Quadruple-Stack Bacon Benedict Burger

[SIZE=medium]This is a cheeseburger with a few additions. For this TD, I experimented with making my own pickles. I started them in a brine a bit early (Thursday,) due to my scheduling-and the fact that it takes some time for the pickles to mature. I also made some homemade Brioche Burger buns. The buns went through two rises, and were cooked on a reusable baker’s parchment. This ended up working well, because the buns did not stick much, and seemed to be protected on the bottom from overheating. For the eggs Benedict, I made a homemade Hollandaise sauce. The burgers were cooked on a natural gas grill, with the cheese being added toward the end. The cheese was a Seaside Cheddar recommended to me as being a favorite. Sriracha was used instead of ketchup, and apart from the Hollandaise sauce, no other sauces were used. Fresh homegrown San Marzano tomato was also used as a topping.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Ingredient List[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]90/10 USDA Choice Beef[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Seaside Cheddar Cheese[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Apple wood –smoked bacon[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Kirby Cucumbers [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]White Vinegar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Distilled Water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Fresh lemon Juice[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Sriracha Sauce[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Cabbage[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Canola Oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Sugar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Sea Salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Dill seasoning[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Garlic cloves[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Cayenne pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Bay leaves[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Black mustard seeds[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Whole coriander seeds[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Whole black peppercorns[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]White pepper seasoning[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Whole all spice[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Whole cloves[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Egg yolk[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Egg[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Stick butter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Butter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Warm milk[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]ADY[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Bread Flour[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]AP Flour[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Sesame Seeds[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Fresh home grown San Marzano Tomato[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Halos Seasoning[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make home-made pickles:[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=medium]Start by preparing some cucumbers as desired, and add to a bowl. Add a quantity of white vinegar, along with:  1/8 cup sugar, a bit of salt, 2 tspn. Mustard seed, 3-4 cloves garlic pieces, a bit of dill weed, some cayenne pepper, a bay leaf, a few whole cloves, a few whole all spice, some whole black peppercorns, some white pepper, and some whole coriander.[/SIZE]

2. [SIZE=medium]Heat some Distilled water (not tap water) in a sauce pan.  Pour 2 cups distilled water into vinegar mixture. Weigh down with a plate and let cool. [/SIZE]

3. [SIZE=medium]Cover bowl with saran wrap and refrigerate for as long as desired.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make home-made Brioche buns:[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=medium]In a mixing bowl, combine one cup warm water, 1 ½ tablespoons warm milk, 1 teaspoon ADY, and ¾ tablespoon sugar. Let stand five minutes.[/SIZE]

2. [SIZE=medium]In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 ½ cups bread flour, 1/9 cup AP flour (approx.), and a bit of salt.[/SIZE]

3. [SIZE=medium]Soften about ¾ tablespoon of butter, and add to flour mixture. Stir well. [/SIZE]

4. [SIZE=medium]Beat one egg, and add to flour mixture.[/SIZE]

5. [SIZE=medium]Pour in yeast mixture, and stir well. [/SIZE]

6. [SIZE=medium]Using a bowl scraper, scoop dough into a ball. [/SIZE]

7. [SIZE=medium]Add some bread flour to the mixture, as it will be somewhat sticky. Add just enough to keep it sticky. [/SIZE]

8. [SIZE=medium]Knead the dough with your fingers for 8 minutes. Use the bowl scraper to reshape into a ball.[/SIZE]

9. [SIZE=medium]Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place for an hour or more.[/SIZE]

10. [SIZE=medium]When ready, line a cookie sheet with a reusable baker’s parchment. Use a dough scraper to divide the dough into appropriate sized pieces. Roll pieces into a rough ball, and place on baker’s parchment.[/SIZE]

11. [SIZE=medium]Coat a sheet of saran wrap well with cooking spray. Cover buns very lightly with saran wrap, and let rise for another hour in a warm place.[/SIZE]

12. [SIZE=medium]When ready cook, preheat oven to 400 degrees.[/SIZE]

13. [SIZE=medium]Beat an egg with a tablespoon of water, and coat top of buns with mixture. Top with desired amount of sesame seeds, and carefully drain off excess egg mixture around buns.[/SIZE]

14. [SIZE=medium]Place a casserole dish full of water on the bottom rack of large oven, and place cookie sheet containing buns on middle rack. Cook for 15-25 minutes, until tops are lightly browned. Check frequently after 15 minutes.[/SIZE]

15. [SIZE=medium]Remove buns from oven to cool, and slice apart buns. They should not stick to parchment much.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To make Hollandaise Sauce:[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=medium]Combine one yolk, a teaspoon water, a teaspoon fresh lemon juice, and a bit of salt in a small bowl. [/SIZE]

2. [SIZE=medium]Heat one stick of butter in a small pan on medium high heat, and cover so butter does not splatter. Let melt and foam a bit-then remove from heat.[/SIZE]

3. [SIZE=medium]Using a rotating mixer, stir ingredients in bowl a bit-then gradually add melted butter. Mix well.[/SIZE]

4. [SIZE=medium]Don’t try to reheat Hollandaise sauce, just make at the end when you are ready to use-needs to stay warm.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To cook egg:[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=medium]Melt some butter in a pan. Add one raw egg, season with salt and pepper-then cook till turning white. Flip over on a side, and season again. Cook till done.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To cook burgers:[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=medium]Start with some choice ground beef, and form into patties. Season with Halo’s seasoning, and a bit of salt and pepper. [/SIZE]

2. [SIZE=medium]Preheat grill on medium high heat, and add patties, seasoned side down. Season tops, and let cook for a few minutes. [/SIZE]

3. [SIZE=medium]Flip burgers over and cook on other side for a few minutes. [/SIZE]

4. [SIZE=medium]Add slices of Seaside Cheddar cheese. Let cheese melt on burgers while cooking a bit.[/SIZE]

5. [SIZE=medium]Remove from heat.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To prepare miscellaneous ingredients:[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=medium]Cook some apple wood smoked bacon, and trim fat and to desired size.[/SIZE]

2. [SIZE=medium]Cook some onion slices in a pan with some canola oil for ten minutes to brown.[/SIZE]

3. [SIZE=medium]Slice some red cabbage into strips. Slice a San Marzano tomato. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To assemble burger:[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=medium]Start by toasting Brioche buns in some butter. [/SIZE]

2. [SIZE=medium]Coat bottom bun with some Sriracha sauce.[/SIZE]

3. [SIZE=medium]Begin stacking burger patties as desired. Then top with San Marzano Tomato slices, browned onions, some fresh red cabbage strips, fresh home-made pickles, fried egg, and Hollandaise Sauce.[/SIZE]

4. [SIZE=medium]Place top bun in desired place; use some wood skewers to hold all ingredients in place.[/SIZE]

5. [SIZE=medium]Serve.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]

That'll ^^ put a muff stain on the carpet. very nice

Heckle said:
Keys looks delicious but I hate a burger that I cant pick up and eat like one.

haha. I used to get after ScovilleDeville (SD) for that too. He used to make these towers of burgers. ;)  But then I finally caved and made one, and was sort've like.. that was cool. Now... it doesn't bother me so much- I just get out the fork and knife. lol. or just come back and eat some later.

I want to get all up in this
2015JuneTD18_zpscsqgdvs5.jpg

geeme said:
I have to agree with MX on the stacking, but I am totally in awe of those buns! What recipe did you use? 

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/07/light-brioche-burger-buns/

I was short on bread flour, so I halved the recipe and guesstimated a few measurements. I also accidentally added the full recipe amount of water, and half or guesstimated half of everything else probably. Interestingly, this made the dough more runny, so I compensated by adding gradual amounts of more bread flour. I left the dough sticky. The parchment paper probably helped a bit. Dough scraper did help with moving the dough.

The recipe said 15 minutes cooking time, but at the end of that the buns weren't brown, so I let them cook in several minute intervals until I was more-or-less satisfied with the brownness. Draining off the excess egg from the sesame seed liquid may have helped also.

Gee I wonder if that page is owned by Wisonsin Cheese lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back