• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Pizza Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
7Di99Ph.jpg

Grant- I love the way the look of your dessert pie is reminiscent of a margherita.   I was toying with an idea for  dessert pie  along that lines too, but am too lazy this weekend.   writing up my one entry is gonna challenge my motivation. 

strawberry , white chocolate and mint .  It calls to me, so you will probably see it at some time or other  anyway.  

Vastedda

My wife's grandmother made Vastedda sandwiches when she was alive.  She made them with sausage instead of spleen and they were real tasty.  I originally was going to make a sausage with roasted hatch and onion pizza.  When my wife saw the sausage meat she asked if I could try and make a Vastedda pizza.  Being a nice guy and all, I obliged.  I have made and will continue to make pizzas, this was one of the best.  She is busy sending pictures to her family so I would say I will be asked to make this again.  Here is a link explaining what Vastedda is….if you care.  

http://www.siciliancookingplus.com/Vastedda-Palermitana.html

Dough

• 675 grams Flour
  • 12 grams Diastatic Malt Powder
  • 365 grams warm Water
  • 24 grams Salt
  • 2 grams Instant Dry Yeast
  • 275 grams Active Starter Culture
  • 16 grams Oil
  • 16 grams Sugar

Mix water, yeast and starter culture and set aside.  In a bowl put the rest of the ingredients, then add the water mixture.  Mix with the paddle attachment of a KitchenAid for 1 minute on a low speed.  Rest it for 5 minutes.  Mix again for 1 minute at medium speed.  Immediately stretch and fold the dough on a floured surface and then rest it for 5 minutes.  Repeat this process of folding and resting until the dough has been folded 5 times.  After the last fold, scale and ball the dough.  This makes 4 dough balls approximately 350 grams each.  

Toppings

• Ricotta cheese
  • Sausage meat browned with Orange Thai peppers
  • Grated Caciocavallo cheese

Assembly

Sprinkle a layer of cheese, put dollops of ricotta cheese, fill in the space with the sausage mixture.  Bake at 500f for 8 minutes.

Browning the sausage and peppers.

IMG_6961.JPG

Simplicity at its best.

IMG_6963.JPG

Pre-bake

IMG_6966.JPG

Post Bake

IMG_6967.JPG

Look at the contours

IMG_6971.JPG

Under the hood

IMG_6973.JPG

Slice shots

IMG_6975.JPG

IMG_6977.JPG

Thank god for autosave.

Serious Marg-her-ita

Dough ingredients:
3 cups ’00’ all-purpose flour, 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon bread machine yeast, scant 1-1/2 cups ice water, 1 tablespoon olive oil.

Stir together dry ingredients then stir in the water. Stir in the olive oil. Add more oil or flour, as needed for a firm dough. Brush top with olive oil, cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 3 to 10 hours. Remove from refrigerator and let rise at cool room temperature 4 to 12 hours. Stir dough to deflate it. It can be used now or refrigerated up to 12 hours more or frozen up to 1 month.

Crust Preparation:
Remove dough from refrigerator and let rise at room temperature about 30 minutes. Using oiled kitchen shears, cut into desired portion size. Pre-heat waffle iron and coat with olive oil or non-stick spray. Lightly pat a dough portion into a rough disc then place on hot waffle iron. Close the lid and bake about 4 to 6 minutes before removing.

Preheat broiler. Brush one side of a crust with extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle fresh golden oregano and golden marjoram on top. Layer thinly-sliced fresh tomato on top. Place mozzarella on top of tomato. Broil until cheese melts and begins to turn golden. Top with fresh purple basil and, of course, crushed hot peppers.

Dough proofing.
P1020164.JPG

About this much works well.
dough.jpg

Pre-bake done - don’t overdo it, as they are going to cook a little longer later.
P1020172.JPG

Brush with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with fresh oregano and marjoram.
P1020177.JPG

Add thinly-sliced fresh tomato and top with mozzarella.
P1020178.JPG

Cook under a broiler just until the cheese melts and starts to turn golden. Top with fresh purple basil.
P1020180.JPG

Sliced
P1020182.JPG

Bottom
P1020183.JPG

Mine get the obligatory sprinkling of crushed congo trinidad.
P1020186.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back