contest BEGIN! Pizza Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just another iteration of building up Hermione after her dormancy tonight ...

2b796a559480a65c49503cf973a28918.jpg

7baff80cee58f9b03b7baeace98cdaec.jpg

Time's wrong, just used as a thermometer ;) ...

Friend's grandfather was an engineer and he used to buy a cheap microwave for Thanksgiving and set it on the bench in his garage, in which he'd tent a small turkey in foil and then he'd run the thing with a coat-hanger with a stainless scrubbing pad touching the ceiling ...

He'd cook a small turkey in like 6-7 mins or something like that ...

Margherita Pizza

[SIZE=12pt]I flavored the San Marzano sauce with onions that were discarder later, oregano, sugar, and unsalted butter.  I also simmered some fresh basil sprigs in the sauce and discarded them later. I topped with buffalo mozzarella, basil, and shaved parmesan (after cooking.) Dough was homemade and sat overnight in the fridge. Cooked on the grill at 500 degrees or so for 10 minutes. Then transferred directly from tray to grill grates to get some marks. I had a Hickory wood chip smoking pack going in the background since I was cooking using a natural gas grill. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Ingredient List[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]ADY[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]bread flour[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]olive oil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]San Marzano tomatoes[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]onion[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]basil[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]oregano[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]sugar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]unsalted butter[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]buffalo Mozzarella[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]shaved parmesan cheese[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]cayenne pepper[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]To make pizza dough:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]1.           In a bowl, combine two cups warm water, a packet of ADY, and 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil. With a mixer, blend to combine. Let sit 5 minutes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]2.           Add 4 1/2 cups flour (don't mix yet,) and whisk in a teaspoon of salt into the flour to avoid killing the yeast.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]3.           Use the mixer to combine the dough well.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]4.           Form the dough into a ball and turn out onto a floured surface.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]5.           Knead the dough from front to back for 10 minutes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]6.           Put a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a bowl, and coat the dough ball with it.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]7.           Cover dough bowl with saran wrap and refrigerate overnight or until needed.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]8.           When ready, remove saran wrap, punch dough down, and set bowl at room temperature for an hour to rise. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]9.           Form dough into rough ball, and then cover with Saran wrap again. Let rise additional 30 minutes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]9.5        Preheat gas grill to 500+ degrees. Add a packet of foil-wrapped hickory wood chips to the back. Close lid.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]10.        When ready, turn dough out again on a floured surface. Using a rolling pin, flatten dough as much as you feel possible. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]11.        Coat top of dough with a light dusting of flour, and then fold the dough in half. Continue dusting with flour as you fold into smaller quarters. The idea is to be able to easily transfer a flattened dough to a pizza pan without tearing or sticking.  [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]12.        Once you have done this, poke holes thoroughly in the dough in order to avoid the volcano pizza effect. As desirous as this is, we want a slightly flatter pizza here. Lol... let's just say I'm glad I had two dough balls in this case. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]13.        Coat the dough with your prepared pizza sauce, and tear some buffalo mozzarella and tear some basil to top.  Expand to the edges as much as possible.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]14.        Place pizza pan on grill and close lid. Let cook for roughly maximum 10 minutes under those conditions. Monitor closely for too much blackening on the bottom. It can happen much faster than you think. A smarter method might be to cook pizza in the oven first and then finish on the grill until just smoking. But I did it the other way round. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]15.        Once you have cooked the actual pizza, slide the pizza off the tray directly onto the hot grill grate. This will leave the char lines you are looking for. But be careful. At this stage pizza will burn very easily. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]16.        Top with shaved parmesan cheese. Let cool, slice and serve. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]To make pizza sauce:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]1.           Start with one can of San Marzano tomatoes. Blend these in a blender with some oregano and Cayenne pepper until you have a nice sauce. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]2.           Empty blender contents into a pan.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]3.           Wash and peel one whole onion. Slice and place halves into the pan with the sauce.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]4.           Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, and two sprigs of fresh basil leaves.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]5.           Add a tablespoon or so of sugar. Add a bit of salt.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]6.           Simmer this mixture for 1 hour on medium low covered.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]7.           Remove sauce from heat and discard onion halves and basil springs.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

geeme said:
PoL and just an opportunity to note that all herbs will come from my garden. That's golden oregano and golden marjoram in the pic, but there are plenty other types, as well.  ;)

P1020162.JPG

P1020161.JPG

And yes, I am considering a dessert pizza, too. 

Often times in Italy when they say something has oregano in it, they actually are talking about marjoram.  Not sure if it is on purpose or not but always reminds me of that Everybody Loves Raymond episode where Marie switches the spices on Ray's wife. 

Ashen said:

Often times in Italy when they say something has oregano in it, they actually are talking about marjoram.  Not sure if it is on purpose or not but always reminds me of that Everybody Loves Raymond episode where Marie switches the spices on Ray's wife. 
True of Mexican, also ...
tctenten said:
attachicon.gif
IMG_6894.JPG

ooey gooey goodness
This pic is putting me over the top ...

On wanting discard waffles ...

I think I'll prime Hermione up one last time in a few, make discard waffles, and plan to make doughs before bed ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back