• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bodeen's 2013 Grow _-_ Love at First Sting

Not actually starting this yet. Just trying to get my thoughts together on what and how many I will be planting of everything. There is the possibility that there will be no cows here next year and the pastures will be made into corn fields. This would mean the barn lot will be free and empty. It grows some of the best grass on the farm and the barn does have a well and a pump already there. Could it be garden number 3??? Also contemplating enlarging the back garden again.

Seed list so far

Hot Peppers

7 Pod Yellow: One Plant
7 Pod: One Plant
7 Pod Brain Strain: Three Plants
7 Pod Burgandy: Three Plants
7 Pod Chaguanas: One plant
Aji Amarillo: One Plant
Aji Chinchi Amarillo: One Plant
Assam: Three plants
Bhut Jolokia: Three Plants
Bhut Jolokia, Brown: Three Plants.
Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate: Three Plants
Bhut Jolokia, Peach: Three Plants.
Bhut Jokolia, Yellow: Three plants
Big Bomb Hybrid: Three plants
Biggie Chile Hybrid: One plant

Black Hungarian: One Plant
Budapest Hybrid: Three Plants
Cayenne (Thick): One Plant

Cayenne (Chocolate): Six Plants, with one over winter
Cayenne (Orange): One Plant
Chapeu Du Frade (Bishop's Hat): One Plant.
Chenzo Hybrid: One Plant
Cherry Bomb Hybrid: Three Plants

Czechoslovakian Black: One Plant
Fatalii: Three Plant
Fatalii, Red: One Plant
Fatalii x Savina: Three Plants
Fish: One plant.
Fresno: One Plant
Habanero Chocolate: Three plants
Habanero Orange: One plant
Habanero Peach: One Plant
Habanero Red: One plant
Habanero White: One plant

Habanero Yellow: One Plant
Hawaiian Sweet Hot: One Plant
Jalapeno, Biker Billy: One plant
Jalapeno, Goliath: One plant
Jalapeno, Purple: One plant

Jamaican Yellow: One plant
Lemon Drop: One plant.
Paper Lantern: One plant.

Peter Pepper (Orange): One Plant
Rain Forest: One Plant
Red Savina: One plant
Sante Fe Grande: Three plants.
Serrano Tamp: Two to three plants.

Thai Giant: One Plant
Tobago: One plant
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T: One plant

Trinidad Scorpion Green: Three Plants
Trinidad Moruga: Three plants
Trinidad Red Douglah: Three plants
Trinidad Douglah Chocolate: Three plants
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow: One Plant
White Scorpion Tongue: One Plant
Yellow Thai: One plant

Sweet Peppers

Jimmy Nardello: Six plants
Douce D`Espagne: Six plants
Lipstick: Two plants
Sweet Goliath: Three plants
Atris Hybrid: Three plants

Gypsy Hybrid: Three plants
La Rouge Royale: Three plants
Golden Treasure: Three plants

Mini Bell Red: Two Plants

Devv said:
I haven't had crawdad's in ages, that soup looks to die for.

Nice haul on the peps!

Thank you.  It was pretty good eating for sure.

Sawyer said:
You've got your work cut out, with that harvest.  Excellent variety.

Thanks.  I put some in the freezer, filled the dehydrator, and still have a bag in the fridge I have to do something with tomorrow before work.

Should be enough to take in my lunch all week.

13873_10200805665414029_1460052461_n.jpg

The yellow fatalii was hotter than I was expecting.  Great aroma and taste.  The heat hung around a while too.  Cant wait to grow a few of these next spring.

The yellow brains will be getting taste tested tomorrow.  I am expecting some pain on these.  

Was looking the plants over today and my moruga and brain strain plants are pushing 4 feet tall.  Hadn't planned on OW those two plants, but I am not sure if I can let frost get such sweet looking plants.

Bodeen said:
The yellow fatalii was hotter than I was expecting.  Great aroma and taste.  The heat hung around a while too.  Cant wait to grow a few of these next spring.

The yellow brains will be getting taste tested tomorrow.  I am expecting some pain on these.  

I'm glad all the peppers showed up in good shape. You are right to be trepidatious with the BS. Those things hurt. I'll only eat little bits of them at a time. I wouldn't think one of your omelets with even a 1/2 pepper would be edible. Have fun with them and save the seeds for next year. Just remember they were all OP. 

Jeff H said:

I'm glad all the peppers showed up in good shape. You are right to be trepidatious with the BS. Those things hurt. I'll only eat little bits of them at a time. I wouldn't think one of your omelets with even a 1/2 pepper would be edible. Have fun with them and save the seeds for next year. Just remember they were all OP. 

Now that has me a little concerned about tomorrow's breakfast plans lol.  I was going to do an entire pod, but I think I might just stick to a half now.  They smell wonderfully fruity.  The fatalii did give me some burps like the TFM did.  Not many, but still not pleasant.  

Next year is looking like a yellow and brown kind of pepper year.  

That's a mighty fine-looking shrimp salad.  And a fine-looking box of yellows, too.  "trepidatious", lol, I love words with all five (regular) vowels.

Put together my cajun pie today.  Being cajun, it had to have cayenne pepper, but also having pork in it made it really hard for me not to put in a thai pepper.  

Crust came out super flaky.  I have some leftover filling that I will add some tomatoes to so it will be a bit juicier and make the rest into pot pies.

1209196_10200821960101386_891145808_n.jpg

You sure do eat good!

Annie sent me some Yellow 7's, giant Yellow brains, and yellow Fatalii. The Fatalii is the one that surprised me, I really enjoyed the other two, the burn ramped instead of smacking me like the Fatalii did.

Devv said:
You sure do eat good!

Annie sent me some Yellow 7's, giant Yellow brains, and yellow Fatalii. The Fatalii is the one that surprised me, I really enjoyed the other two, the burn ramped instead of smacking me like the Fatalii did.

Yeah, my stomach has been off today too.  I am not sure if it is the fatalii or just too much fresh apple dessert.  I think it might be the apple since I ate some apple crisp after my cajun pies and got some heartburn.  

You going to grow the yellow fatalii out next season?  I am.  If I can get my hands on some creme fatalii seed I might give them a go too.  

I have yellow and red. I'm going to try and grow everything I have, I want to see how they come out when I grow them. I truly believe that the different environments contribute to the heat and favor. I have quite a seed list and will use next year as a sorting out process to see which ones are grown every year.

Devv said:
I have yellow and red. I'm going to try and grow everything I have, I want to see how they come out when I grow them. I truly believe that the different environments contribute to the heat and favor. I have quite a seed list and will use next year as a sorting out process to see which ones are grown every year.

That is what I have been doing this season.  What I want next year is to have a few varieties with a lot of plants of each.  Might try my hand at some sauce making, but I will probably wimp out on that lol.  But I will have the pods to do it if I don't :)
Hainan Yellow Lantern Chili

471px-Capsicum_chinense_-_Hainan_Yellow_Lantern_Chili_-_04.jpg

Bodeen said:

That is what I have been doing this season.  What I want next year is to have a few varieties with a lot of plants of each.  Might try my hand at some sauce making, but I will probably wimp out on that lol.  But I will have the pods to do it if I don't :)

Hainan Yellow Lantern Chili

471px-Capsicum_chinense_-_Hainan_Yellow_Lantern_Chili_-_04.jpg

That Hainan Yellow Lantern Chili would make killer, killer sauce, Jeff! Dang, looks good otv. What's heat level? Gorgeous pods! With the chef that you are, you can make sauces. Shrimp and "Cajun sammiches" still got me going :party: .

Never grew that pepper.  Came across it while looking up other peppers and thought it was pretty cool looking.  Also called the yellow emperor chili.  I have found very little on it other than it is really hot.

Here is a better pic of the peppers.

800px-Capsicum_chinense_-_Hainan_Yellow_Lantern_Chili_-_03.JPG

Back