• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Brian2112's 2012 Grow

Well my 2012 season has started and i have been growing some strawberries and taking care of my little chili and tomato seedlings, i will try my best to remember my growlog.... haha

Spikey the Trinidad Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T(from Butch T)
Douglah
7 pot Brainstrain
7 pot Yellow
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Carbon
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
Fatalii
Fatalii Red
Tobasco
Aji Lemon
Red Manzano
Jalapeno

I'll edit the list I remember more later.
The pictures so far.

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0365-1.jpg

IMG_0377-1.jpg
IMG_0364-2.jpg

Now for the Peppers

IMG_0383-1.jpg

IMG_0381-1.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg
IMG_0386-1.jpg
IMG_0368.jpg
IMG_0385-1.jpg

ahhh, the Douglah Forest! That is gonna be quite some plot, can't wait those babies get BIG! That wind last month made lace out of half my plants-no losses, and they got better-maybe stronger for it now though.Funny how much we fret over em sometimes for little things, then nature comes along and knocks the crap out of em...and they just shrug and bounce back. I've got 20 or so left to put in the ground...didn't have enough time to add more rows ,so the potted up crowd just got lined up in the walkways between rows and I ran the drip line through them.I have small brood of stranglers and late starts that oughta be ready when I get in this trip....but I have a few more I wanna start(what the hell is wrong with me?!!!)...I just can't go without trying some T Scorp Moruga x Marango and Choc Bhut x Yellow 7's this year.
Are you getting more than 1 good harvest out of your maters? I seem to get 1 good one, and after that the spots appear..production drops way down.It may just be July-August temps that do that, as I'm guessing that they start having reduced flower production when the night time temps go up in the 90's(like peppers).

Brian,

Sweet! That's not a garden--It's a plantation! Very, very nice! And yes, I'm jealous, too.

Which variety of baccatum is that?

Gary

Cool! Which garden are the Douglahs in?

I'm excited that you're growing Aji Limon—I'm betting yours will be off the chart! One little thing I would have done differently last year, however, with the Limon: By the end of the season when the plants were getting large and loaded down with fruit, they became an unmanageable, tangled mass of skinny branches, unable to adequately support the fruit load, even with some elaborate staking and support twine...I believe the next time I grow Aji Limon (or Guyana or any of the "sprawling" baccatums) I would put them in tomato cages while they were still small...

Just a thought...You may have a better idea than that.

Here's a pik of the mess my Limon row had become by the middle of November. You can't really see it in the photo, but despite all the staking and tying-up, many of the fruit-laden branches were laying on the ground:

AjiLimon2011-3.jpg

Are you getting more than 1 good harvest out of your maters? I seem to get 1 good one, and after that the spots appear..production drops way down.It may just be July-August temps that do that, as I'm guessing that they start having reduced flower production when the night time temps go up in the 90's(like peppers).

I hope you don't mind my butting in GS, but I can't help but want to help out another Louisiana grower...For a while every year I would lose my tomato crop around the middle of summer—The vines would wilt like they needed watering, but I couldn't water them enough to stop the wilting, and they would eventually just "burn up," as the tomato growers like to say. I finally discovered that I had the Southern Root Knot Nematode in my garden. You can actually pull up the plants after they are dead and see knots in the roots, sort of like arthritic fingers.

The solution for the nematodes, and a thing that also helped my chile plants grow way better, was to begin using shredded hardwood, mixed into the soil and as a thick mulch layer on top of the rows. It turns out there are polyphenols in the branch bark that nematodes can't tolerate, but the nematode prevention was only a side benefit of all the wonderful things that hardwood chips do for the soil.

I now get good tomato production up until the first freeze, around Thanksgiving, or even early December.

I have more info if you're interested. Good luck with your 2012 Grow!

Gary

Great stuff Brian! Have you thought of using a Florida Weave setup like AJ is doing on his scorps for your Aji's? Seems like it would be just the ticket! By the way...that basketball goal looks like it has been put to some use over the years!

Hey lookin' stellar Brian- I'll be lookin at mine tomorrow night!Hoping to see some pods on the young un's!

Great stuff Brian! Have you thought of using a Florida Weave setup like AJ is doing on his scorps for your Aji's? Seems like it would be just the ticket! By the way...that basketball goal looks like it has been put to some use over the years!
Thanks!
I have never seen AJ's weave setup.... You might have to explain more...lol
Ohh and yes, that basketball goal has done its time!

Hey lookin' stellar Brian- I'll be lookin at mine tomorrow night!Hoping to see some pods on the young un's!
Thanks alot Gun!
I hope you see some little ones too, it's a great sight :-)

Florida weave is pretty simple. It's basically a trellis created by a post on each end of the row (and maybe a few in the middle depending on length) with chord running through the plants alternating from one side of one plant to the opposite side of the next. You snake in and out the length of the row, then 4 or 5 inches above that one you snake another line the same way execpt you start on the opposite side so that each alternating line pulls the plant the opposite direction. I'll try to post a link to AJ's glog for an example.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/27159-ajs-2012-season-a-pictorial-discussion/

its on page 15

Yeah Brian! You got it going, Man! Grandma is doing an excellent job with the Scorpions! How is the Douglah patch looking?

Are your tomato stakes just bamboo poles? I need some good stakes...

Here's a pik of my Florida weave trellis at my old house, back in 2008 (Sorry about the blurry pik). The tomato variety was Burgess Trip-L Crop, a.k.a. Italian Tree Tomato. This was at a time before I discovered hardwood mulch, and I was growing in the pure red sand of the Red River valley, as you can see here...If I were to build one of these things again, I would not use the clothesline rope; it's too slippery. Probably just some cheap "grass" or sisal fiber rope would be better:

FloridaWeave2008.jpg

Brian, I'm so sorry for co-opting your grow thread. There were just a couple of things mentioned I felt like I had something valuable to add to.... :)

Man, sweet gardens. Wish I had that much space.

Anyone know where to get some good quality Strawberry Seeds? Looking through this thread makes me want to try growing them indoors, under lights. From what I read, a "Day Neutral" would be perfect.

Thanks!

Yeah Brian! You got it going, Man! Grandma is doing an excellent job with the Scorpions! How is the Douglah patch looking?

Are your tomato stakes just bamboo poles? I need some good stakes...

Here's a pik of my Florida weave trellis at my old house, back in 2008 (Sorry about the blurry pik). The tomato variety was Burgess Trip-L Crop, a.k.a. Italian Tree Tomato. This was at a time before I discovered hardwood mulch, and I was growing in the pure red sand of the Red River valley, as you can see here...If I were to build one of these things again, I would not use the clothesline rope; it's too slippery. Probably just some cheap "grass" or sisal fiber rope would be better:

FloridaWeave2008.jpg

Brian, I'm so sorry for co-opting your grow thread. There were just a couple of things mentioned I felt like I had something valuable to add to.... :)
Mr. Gary, chime in any time you want!
Yep, the stakes are just bamboo that I cut myself growing in the swamp..
Now i know what you all were talking about with the florida weave, ive seen that before, just didnt know it was called that.... I might try that with the row of Scorps because i know they are going to get pretty big by the looks of it!

5/6/12

Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon

IMG_0515.jpg

Granny's Scorpions are going to be formidable for sure—I can't stop looking at that last photo of them. I especially love the Spanish moss!

Hey Brian check that photo of the Indian Carbon—Do I see aphids on the underside of that leaf?

Back