• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Burgers? Hell Yeah!!

Hey y'all looking through the sacred THP scrolls it is apparent that most awesome of foods is sorely neglected. That's right chidren's, I'm talkin' about BURGERS!! Sliders. Pub burgers. Fast food style burgers. Gastro burgers. Cheffy burgers. CHEESEBURGERS!!! Single and double meat. Triple meat. Extreme burgers. Man vs. Food burgers....the list is endless but y'all get the idea.

We won't go into the endless arguments of who created the first hamburger (Fletcher Davis) or what meat qualifies as a burger. Nonetheless....here are the rules for posting in this soon to be awesome thread:

1. Any meat goes. Beef, chicken, pork, lamb, rat, fish. Whatever, hunt it down and kill it with a knife. Its all good and I've included the options other than the traditional beef so all the kids can play in the pool. If its ground and round, its all good.

2. The damn 'thang has to be between 2 slices of bread or bun. White bread. Brioche. Sourdough. English muffin. Whole wheat. Its got to be bready. No wrap crap or wild pizza dough like chingaderra's.

3. Any cooking method goes. Grilled. Broiled. Griddled. Steamed. Deep fried. Zippo lighter.

4. Because I love to ridicule to no end tree hugging granola wimps and hippy's.....
Veggie burgers are all good. Just be prepared for the woe and gnashing of teeth and smack talk that will soon come if you post it. It will be all in fun and all good.

5. You suck at cooking? The only thing that would suck more is if you posted pics of your restaurant burger. For the sake of keeping the comedy rolling...
Any burger you didn't cook or you bought is allowed and is all good. Warning: while allowed, posting pics of BK burgers or their ilk with a splash of tabasco will bring upon you the most ridicule and insults. Even more than a veggie burger!

6. Chile's and/or hotsauce is mandatory on the burger. ON the burger, no crap on the side.

7. Pics are mandatory. No posting about a burger you made or ate without pics. You will suffer extreme ridicule and experience much loathing. Just don't do it.

8. Include a list of condiments and toppings. Mayo. Mustard. Onions. Cheese. Extract of male baboon spermatazoa. Whatever. Post it.

There it is y'all. Can you get down brown with it? Allrighty then...

RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

Here's mine. Sliders. 80/20 ground chuck from Matador Meat Market, Frisco, Tx. Cooked over fine diced yellow onions in cast iron using the smash technique. Toasted Pepperidge Farm slider buns with mustard, the onions, dill pickle and jalapeno pickle slices. Kraft brand American Plastic Cheese.

IMG_3447.jpg

Adult beverages are encouraged in the pics but not mandatory. Dig that awesome cast iron crust sear!

IMG_3448.jpg

So bring on your burgers. And that means those damn Aussie's and their stinkin' beet root too!!

Elk is a little less gamey than deer but more gamey than beef. Personally, I prefer moose, but elk is a close second. My only criticism of myself, is that I cooked them a tad too long. Elk is very lean compared to beef. Overall, they turned out good. I haven't had shrooms and swiss for a while. The mustard is a habanero, honey mustard and it is perfect with them.

Did you melt the cheese in the broiler and not on the grill? Or is that just a resting plate? Because if so that would add cooking time, hence, drying them out.

Yes I popped them in oven for just long enough to melt the cheese after I added the mushrooms. I am sure it didn't help, but I still cooked them a bit long on the grill. The problem with cooking while practicing spelling words with a first grader, and holding a crying baby is time management. I'm not saying they are dried out, just not quite as juicy as I would have liked.

You can't fool me. Hand formed... sheesh.
Rolling them in a ball then pressing another pan down on them is a pretty good idea!
Just teasing you Jay, those look awesome.
They do look a little overdone, but that's just an excuse for more mayo/ mustard foo

I love me some Elk.

Next time just close the grill lid with cheese on the grilled side right after you flip. Only takes seconds with a hot grill.

Lookin' good. Post more.

I had to take them in to put the mushrooms on them (that were sauteed in a pan (stainless) on the stove). It was a catch 22. And yes Scovie, I did do the ball and smash technique. Ha ha that sounds funny. :lol:

Shit I think I just reported myself.

I had to take them in to put the mushrooms on them (that were sauteed in a pan (stainless) on the stove). It was a catch 22. And yes Scovie, I did do the ball and smash technique. Ha ha that sounds funny. :lol:

Shit I think I just reported myself.
you need to put shrooms on everything!

Good looking burgers JayT, where do you deer hunt in PA? I am trying to find something closer than traveling to the family farm in Va, however, it is rarely hunted and I have been able to kill deer each time I go if I choose to. Passed up 7 doe at 15 yards last trip, freezer is slam full of 2.5 deer.

You hunters are a crazy lot.
Couldn't do it, myself, but that's just me. I guess I'm a pussy.
More power to ya, though. No judgement.
I like that you harvest the meat and you help control the population, which I understand can be quite pesty in some areas.

I stick to store-bought cow that has been probably inhumanely treated since birth. Go figure...

Fire up the wood oven and bake them. :D

Firewood is getting delivered tomorrow. Gonna try making some Potato Rolls next week. No idea what the should taste like, as never had em before, but they seem to be all the rage, plenty of recipes/ideas on the net.

I like brioche buns. TB says they are foo foo but that's just because it's a French word. The eggy butteriness is tha bomb! And soft as all hell, perfect for burgers.

Back