• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

Mike,

First of all, I've known you since you joined THP, and you've always seemed like an honest/standup guy.

Also, I'm not growing any reapers, and have no personal experience to like or dislike them. I figured I see what others had to say about them before I pay premium prices for a totally unknown strain (I also haven't paid a dime for any seeds for almost 4 years).

You said you and Ed knew each other, and about each other, but weren't friends yet and didn't have a contract when you purchased your bulk reaper seeds. I believe you 100%. But, surely Ed knew you own and run a pepper growing forum, and that you were planning on growing thousands of reaper plants this season (why else would you buy thousands of seeds). To me, it's possible you would be a "high priority" customer. If your huge reaper field was pumping out a high percentage of crosses it could be very bad for Ed's reputation and his business. I have no idea what you paid for bulk seeds, but I'm guessing it was upwards of $1000 if you currently have over 2000 healthy plants. I'm not accusing Ed of anything (never met him), I'm just saying it seems possible (as an outsider looking in) that IF he had some "extra good" seeds saved for influential big customers, you would be getting them, not some random new grower that bought 10 lousy seeds and will probably kill them before they set fruit. It just makes sense to me.

Again, I believe you are telling the truth, and I'm not accusing Ed of anything. I believe Ed is a busy man. I also believe a lot of doubts are stemming from him not showing up to answer ANY questions or concerns about his product when there is a whole lot of doubt circling around. I know he has a THP account, and obviously he is aware of what's going on, and being said. The same goes for pepper joe. He couldn't say enough about the reaper while hyping it up, and while sales were booming, but where is he now? He's obviously following this thread. He has "liked" several posts without saying a word. That is reason enough to me to have my doubts about something I have absolutely no investment in. At least one of those two should address the many questions and doubts, unless it was truly just a money grab.

That's just my take on it, and I'm only speculating, but that's what you get when you (Ed and Joe) ignore questions and concerns.....speculation.

DesertChris said:
Interesting...but I got my seeds  from pepperjoe, and I just looked at his site and found no such restriction...
So now my question Is can one guy impose this restriction via his website onto sales from an approved vendor who has no such restriction on his website???
I got mine gifted and will be marketing any products I make off them in any way I see fit ... oh thats right I am dreaming of having the McDermotts plot of land instead of my balcony ... :( ;) back in reality in that case I will be giving pods to friends and calling them what ever I want ... probably call them smokin joes hypedupchilli ;)

Anyway in the infamous words ... never mind the bollocks..... lets get on with the growing and sharing and caring .... after all that's what the chilli community (read community not some businesses) is all about 

TXCG said:

That's not entirely true. There is this fantastic piece of technology called the internet archive. Unfortunately this page hasn't been backed up many times, but the latest one prior to the May 2013 change is from September 1st 2012. 

As of September 1st 2012 there was no mention of seed purchases in the terms & conditions section. See for yourself here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20120901023948/http://puckerbuttpeppercompany.com/terms-and-conditions/

Or I've screenshotted it here. I'm not embedding it because it's literally a screenshot of the whole page:

http://i.imgur.com/S5n7FPb.png

Also note on their website it says that they can change the terms at any time & they go into effect 1 day after the change. 

hwvnJuV.png

So to me that sounds like if you bought seeds prior to the May 1st, 2013 update you can do whatever the hell you want with them. 

BjTIh4x.gif

TXCG said:

Lol I'm just reading what they wrote, they're the ones who said the terms go into effect 1 day after they're posted. Pretty sure you can't retroactively change the terms of an agreement, so if that wasn't there when seeds were purchased I have a hard time believing they have a leg to stand on in court. 

I guess it's fortunate that I don't buy into hype and won't pay $15 for 10 seeds, so I have nothing I can get in trouble with. And you bet your ass I'll never give a dime to a company that has the balls to try and tell me what I can and can't do with the fruit I grow from their seeds.

If this is true, to the vendor who burned all his stock of CR's...

A much better solution instead of literally fighting fire with fire.  If I was going to give the ultimate 'bird', I would've grown out as many pods for the seeds.  Then label them as '? mystery seeds'.  Give them as 'giveaways' to every order.  Sooner or later the word would get out (& not even having to use the protected brand name).  Business 101.  What do you think will happen when you supply the demands by flooding the market?  Best part of it is not only will you increase your sales on other seeds, you will make the chili community happy and of course you will burn those who burned you!

SanPatricio said:

I just looked at the Puckerbutt web page and found this ( I wonder how many customers and Reaper growers read this?)

http://puckerbuttpeppercompany.com/terms-and-conditions/http://puckerbuttpeppercompany.com/terms-and-conditions/

"[SIZE=13pt]B. Seed Purchases[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13pt]Seeds purchased through PBPC, LLC, or its affiliates, along with plants and peppers grown therefrom, shall be used for personal and non-commercial purposes only. Any reproduction or redistribution of seeds or plants therefrom, or commercial use of peppers grown from these seeds, or derivatives thereof, is prohibited without the express written consent of PBPC, LLC, or its affiliates. In so purchasing seeds through PBPC, LLC, or its affiliates, you expressly agree to these terms and conditions of sale."[/SIZE]

I did not see this warning on pepperjoe's website and he points out that his customers have made good money from plants and produce sales.

Penny's Tomatoes and Pepper Joe's

"Make your Day off.....PAY off"... Pam in Seattle makes 100's of $$$ profit on her tomato seeds by selling tomato plants. Many customers sell their tomatoes and peppers and plants. One cool guy, Dave Klein that is a member here....sold one Carolina Reaper plant for $25.....and another for $50. GO DAVE!!! This is America and Capitalism and a Free Economy at it's finest. A few folks have said "I can't afford to buy Seeds this year"....with a little entrepreneurial spirit...You can't afford NOT buy seeds this year. www.pepperjoe.com

DesertChris said:
Interesting...but I got my seeds  from pepperjoe, and I just looked at his site and found no such restriction...
So now my question Is can one guy impose this restriction via his website onto sales from an approved vendor who has no such restriction on his website???

I agree with Trippa.... get back to growing folks!

We are posting one more video shortly and getting on with doing what we enjoy and are lucky enough to do in our spare time. 

We offered OUR view and videos on OUR experience - take it as you will. We will continue to grow the heat and enjoy!

Thanks for all you do Dan to give the pepper folks around the world a voice!

Happy growing everyone and remember to pass on your passion of growing to your little ones!

mmcdermott1_thehothalf said:
I agree with Trippa.... get back to growing folks!

We are posting one more video shortly and getting on with doing what we enjoy and are lucky enough to do in our spare time. 

We offered OUR view and videos on OUR experience - take it as you will. We will continue to grow the heat and enjoy!

Thanks for all you do Dan to give the pepper folks around the world a voice!

Happy growing everyone and remember to pass on your passion of growing to your little ones!
Yeah.. that last line is an especially good one :D

Musky same to you. And trust me, If and when you ever get to know ed really well, he doesnt work that way lol. Ed is not the one that put my seeds in a bag, he doesnt do that, and I guarantee you I wasn't given any special treatment or special seeds. A VERY well respected grower who I wont mention because im not dragging him into this will tell you the same thing...ed doesnt work that way..and he is also good friends with Ed. 

Anyway, here is the video we made last night of random plants and the peppers. We also show the Odd balls. Obviously some are still gonna keep saying the same negative things but that is ok...you can't change how people think or view things. This is the last vid I'm doing so think what you want. Nothing against THP because its a forum and can't control what the members say really..but after the first video...all the other forums and facebook people seem to have a different tune now..it's only here that a few select people keep on going on about the crappy reaper. I wonder why that is?  Happy growing to all and remember...its just peppers folks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8e4ZINutU8&feature=youtu.be

Just wanted to say - Thanks for taking the time to go through some of the plants - looks like you're gonna have a pretty good harvest by seasons end. It's nice to see that the pods are fairly consistent on each plant - Not sure if you eat much of your harvest but if you get a chance later in the season to test a few of the variant pods it would be interesting to also hear how they compare to the ones that do have the creaper pod look (hopefully they at least maintain the flavor profile even if they don't have the right look so those that do wind up with the variants at least get the heat\flavor they were wanting.)

Not a problem JD..dont know if I cooled the debate off or heated it up more but hoping it cools it off. 
We for sure will be trying some of the odd balls..especially that wicked bumpy one at the end of the first row that I showed on the video.  That baby is screaming PAIN!! :)

Good day to you.

Mike,

You didn't have to make the second vid, but I can see why you did. And thanks for that.

That plant @ around 8:48, I have one that looks like that, dang tasty! So try one!

Back