• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CMPMAN1974's 2011 Growing Log - Started 1/29/11

Well, I finally got motivated and dropped some seeds in my 162 count plug tray this afternoon. Filled up 100 of the spaces. It's always so hard to narrow anything down. I've got the seed tray on a heating mat calibrated to 86 degrees. Sowing so many individual varieties is always one huge chore. I kind of envy people like AJ planting 100 of the same variety.

I sowed a lot of C. chinenses, some wild bird types, and wild praetermissums and a few other wild species. There is nothing very common on this years' list. lol. :) Tons of strange super hot cross attempts from people. At least I've got a solid system now as far as spreadsheets and tracking.

I wish I had acres to grow all I want. I could really get carried away!

I'll start the Annuums and Baccatums in early March. I'm cutting way, way back on Rocotos. I struggled last year to get them to produce (well ripen) on time. I'm not a quitter by any means though. :)

I will be pretty much growing 100% in the ground this season. I don't feel like spending money on soil this year. I built three more 4' x 12' raised beds last Fall to add some growing space. I should be fine.

Chris

P1090651.jpg

P1090652.jpg

P1090650.jpg

P1090649.jpg

P1090648.jpg

P1090646.jpg

P1090656.jpg

I plan on selecting attributes of this Pimenta Chris (formerly Pimenta Elisa = Bhut x Neyde) I like for future grow-outs. It's named Pimenta Chris for future grow-out generations as the grow-out will be from my own saved seed. AISPES selects specific strains they wish to reproduce.

I REALLY like the one I'm calling Pimenta Chris 'Shadow'. One side of the pod is deep red, the other purple! It's like a two colored pod. Leaves are nearly jet black. Most Pimenta Elisa plants have greenish/purple leaves. This resembles one of the parent plants more (Pimenta de Neyde).

Also, Vladan's cross as always is visually stunning. I don't know how does it, but he does!!

P1090655.jpg

P1090654.jpg

P1090653.jpg

Korean Hybrid almost looks like a shishito. Great photos as always, man.

edit: On that note, wanna disclose your lighting arrangement?

I use an external flash on my camera - Sunpak 383 - about $75..works great. Had it for many years. It attaches to certain digital cameras.

You're right it looks like Shishito. It may be for all I know. The Asian seed packets aren't labeled that well. It's interesting looking and productive. I need to taste it.

Chris

Korean Hybrid almost looks like a shishito. Great photos as always, man.

edit: On that note, wanna disclose your lighting arrangement?

That Pimenta Chris 'Fat Strain' is REALLY hot. It's got a ton of placental tissue. I think the pepper back-crossed with a 7 Pot Orange! It's neat because the pod is blocky, has green and purple shades unripe and ripens red. if it ripened to a blended or streaked color and retained the super hot attributes, it would be ideas. A great breeding project if I had an acre. :) I'd bet good money it crossed with my 7 Pot Orange in 2010. :)

Chris

Nice peppers as usual, however , did you color correct your photos?, seems the color balance is off between the highlights and shadow side, a bit on the "magenta" side...

Chris you still trying to get the 7 Pot Primo's to grow larger? Why not cross them with a Trini Scorp yellow AISPES and then watch them get big. You have some very unique pods dude, like always.

I use an external flash on my camera - Sunpak 383 - about $75..works great. Had it for many years. It attaches to certain digital cameras.

You're right it looks like Shishito. It may be for all I know. The Asian seed packets aren't labeled that well. It's interesting looking and productive. I need to taste it.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. My wife is beginning her studies in food styling, something she's wanted to do for awhile, and she was curious about your method and your background material(s). I appreciate the shared knowledge.

And prolific is English for Shishito! ;)

KUTGW, man. We all love these things.

Also, where is pene diablo sourced from (country of origin)?

I had a problem with the camera on those shots! The coloring is messed up a lot. I agree, just a tad too 'purple' for me.

Chris

Chris, from my background I can tell you that it's difficult to white balance a camera unless your using a gray scale. But once again your peppers speak for themselves...just one more question, on the Bell x Scotch Bonnet F3'S the shape is leaning nor either direction...did you expect that or was it a different shape in the past...just trying to get a grasp on the procedure....thanks, Greg

Have you had a chance to taste the "Blondie" yet Chris?

mine had a verrrrry strong pineapple/citrus/fruity taste and aroma!!!!

Funny you said that JR. I just ate a piece 5 minutes ago. I was amazed by the taste and good heat too. The flavor is unreal. What a winner. They are just very hard to tell when ripe. I think 2 of the 3 were not. I need to leave them on a lot longer. I really struggle with many Baccatums in my region just due to not having enough time to mature them. That is one I could see getting addicted to real fast. :)

Chris

Now THAT is a good idea. Kind of like feeding them steroids. :)

Chris

Chris you still trying to get the 7 Pot Primo's to grow larger? Why not cross them with a Trini Scorp yellow AISPES and then watch them get big. You have some very unique pods dude, like always.

I definitely need to learn more about photography. How do you gray scale the camera? That cross seems strange as you said. I didn't make it. It actually has amazing color transition (red, purple, orange, etc.), but resembles neither parent. I'm thinking the seeds may have been mislabeled or something as the creator of the cross is about as professional as you get. His other crosses are spot on. I'll have to reference his original F1 and F2 pods to see how they turned out. I'm guessing much different. Thanks for the photography feedback.

Chris

Chris, from my background I can tell you that it's difficult to white balance a camera unless your using a gray scale. But once again your peppers speak for themselves...just one more question, on the Bell x Scotch Bonnet F3'S the shape is leaning nor either direction...did you expect that or was it a different shape in the past...just trying to get a grasp on the procedure....thanks, Greg

Africa, according to this source:

http://www.chillisauces.co.uk/chilli_powder.htm

Thanks, Chris. My wife is beginning her studies in food styling, something she's wanted to do for awhile, and she was curious about your method and your background material(s). I appreciate the shared knowledge.

And prolific is English for Shishito! ;)

KUTGW, man. We all love these things.

Also, where is pene diablo sourced from (country of origin)?

Back